Lexi Eddings
Lexi Eddings

Lexi Eddings

(You’re welcome for the Rogers & Hammerstein ear-worm!)

so-long-farewellOh, yeah, I’m a sucker for the Sound of Music. Even that sappy “good-night” song before the kids head off to bed. But then later in the story, when they finish off the music competition with the same tune, it has a bittersweet tinge because the Von Trapp family is about to leave the home they love.

And now we JQs are winding down the blog we all love as well. (Heavy sigh…)

This blog has always been about sharing our everyday doings. One of the things I’ll miss most about the end of the Jaunty Quills is finding out what’s going on in the lives of my fellow JQs. And I’ll miss sharing my small news and hearing from you, our dear readers, as well.

swordinthestoneWe’ve had a chance to talk about how we feel about things, about our families, our jobs, our travels and our friendships. We generally steered clear of politics and religion, but sometimes, it’s the elephant in the room (Sorry, Republicans, no pun intended!) that cannot be ignored. So at the risk of rushing in where angels fear to tread, here’s my quick take on this election cycle.

There’s never a sword in the stone when you need one. So that means we all have to vote tomorrow! Whatever happens, we’re all Americans and we need to come together once the dust settles.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

Besides, I wanted to end my time with you on a light note. The world is serious enough. You don’t need another writer who takes herself too seriously. Like I always tell my Dear Husband–the shortest distance between two hearts is a good belly laugh! In fact, I think humor is one of the main reasons he and I have been together for so long. I make him laugh, sometimes without even meaning to.

Like this one time, years ago, when we had a long-haired 25 pound tom cat. Don’t get me wrong. I loved Tommy Whiskers to pieces, but I was getting sick and tired of having his hair all over my house. So I took matters into my own hands and went to the source.

vacuumthecatYep, I decided to vacuum  the cat.

He didn’t think much of the process, but I felt I was making progress when the phone rang.

It was my DH. He was having the mother-of-all Mondays. First, one of this team was waiting for him when he got to the office. The man’s son had tried to commit suicide over the weekend and he didn’t know what to do. So my DH listened to him and made sure he connected with all the help he and his family would need to get through this difficult time.

Then another worker came in to make a sexual harassment claim against another team mate. They had been a couple, but had recently split up. The guy had had the effrontery to say hello to her. So my DH had to kick the complaint up to HR and rearrange the work load to separate the warring parties.

To cap it off, my DH’s boss called and told him the timeline for the project he was heading up had suddenly been moved up by several months, while no additional money for more people to do the work in less time would be forthcoming.

So, when he had a minute to catch his breath, my DH had called home.

“I just had to talk to someone sane,” he said after he’d recounted his woes. “Whatcha doin’?”

When I told him I was vacuuming the cat, he burst out laughing so hard, his assistant had to peek in to make sure he hadn’t gone completely bonkers. After he settled down, he said it was just what he needed.

I hope there have been times when a stop by Jaunty Quills has been just what you needed, too. Blogs are starting to fall by the wayside as people flock to Twitter, Facebook, and other social media that require sound bites of info instead of longer posts. But if you’d still like to keep in touch, I actually have a couple of blogs of my own–THE COLDWATER GAZETTE, which is attached to my website, and SECOND WIND, a blog where I share about dealing with chronic lung disease. I’d love to see you at both of them!

Gosh, this is harder than I thought it would be. I’m not sure how to wrap this final post up. Mostly, I just want to say thank you for joining us here, for sharing your lives with us, for laughing and crying with us. I’ll miss the gang of regular JQ commenters.  Bless you all.

cwhcfriendshipsjq

23 thoughts on “So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye…

1. Amy says:

I don’t mind the ear-worm. Love the song, love the movie. And I think it is the perfect send-off for the blog.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

Thanks, Amy. I’ll miss you. Hope you’ll find me and the rest of the Jaunties on our individual blogs. Hugs!

2. Dawn A says:

This blog is how I’ve started my day for several years now. You all have made me laugh and cry and generally made me happy. I wish all of the authors and readers a heartfelt goodbye. Auf Wiedersehen!

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

Stop, Dawn, you’re making me cry. When we send a post off into cyberspace, we have no idea if anyone’s really receiving unless they comment. But to be the start of your day…well, that’s something special. If you like, there’s a way to sign up for both of my blogs to be delivered to your email inbox. I don’t post every day, but since I won’t be blogging here anymore, I’ll be posting there at least once a week.

Thanks so much for your comments and support, sweetie!

3. Lisa Hutson says:

I will miss jq as well. My favorite thing about it was the variety. You could never know what the post would be. Anything under the sun.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

Variety is the spice of life, they say. With 10 of us blogging, we were bound to be all over the place thematically.

I can’t believe the cat didn’t run away. Mine are terrified of the vacuum.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

I really do love my pets and would never hurt them. I guess it was a measure of his love for me that Tommy only fussed softly instead of fighting me tooth and nail. I think it’s the noise your cats fear. The actual vacuuming doesn’t hurt a bit. My dogs aren’t wild about the hair dryer I use on them after their baths, but it’s better than letting them shiver wetly all over the house.

5. Kate Sparks says:

I’ll miss JQ, but will continue to stalk you all via other social media. But I do understand that life changes and goals change for everyone.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

Stalk away, Kate. I’m sure we’ll see each other around the Web. 😉

6. Lexi, I am going to laugh every time I imagine you vacuuming that cat. He must have been the calmest cat ever!

It’s been a pleasure to blog with you, ma’am.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

Back at you, m’dear. I’ll be watching your career continue to soar with undisguised admiration!

Tommy Whiskers was a dear. He was very devoted to me and loved music. Every time I’d start singing, he’d scratch at the door to the music room till I let him in. Then he’d hop up onto the piano and writhe in pleasure.

7. Sandi in OH says:

I never thought of vacuuming my long-haired cat. We just vacuum the floor. The floor doesn’t run away like Smokey does. I will miss JQ since I always try to get read it every day.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

Until the phone rang, the plan seemed to be working. After hearing what a bad day my DH had had, I sort of decided cat hair on my sofa wasn’t the worst that could happen.

8. Annette Naish says:

Y’all already know how I am gonna miss you. And personally I believe vacuuming a cat is a perfectly sensible thing to do. It is much kinder than sticking him the dish washer.

As to this election – I have a serious comment. I sincerely hope that after all is said and done, we can remember how to love one another. I believe that loving and respecting one another is not a very hard thing to do. So, I have been praying that we can have that ability returned to each of us.

Y’all take care now, y’hear?

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

Yea, verily, amen & amen! My prayer is that we’ll all realize we have more in common than not and that we have to pull together.

And on the plus side, whatever happens on November 8th, the real strawberry is that at least the robocalls will stop!

9. catslady5@aol.com says:

Instead of good-bye I am going to say – see you later. Hopefully, I’ll find you all elsewhere – best wishes to all.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

That’s my hope, too. I look forward to seeing you around whether it’s on Twitter, FB or one of my blogs.

Oh, and catslady5, I also hope I didn’t offend you as an obvious cat lover. I promise you I’d never hurt my Tommy Whiskers. I just sort of aggravated the fool out of him.

10. Julie-ann Ford says:

Yes, I will miss the laughs like the one you just gave me while reading this. Thank you for the laughs and for allowing me to be a part of this wonderful family.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

It’s been lovely for us too, Julie-ann. Thanks so much for taking the JQs into your family.

11. Eileen A-W says:

I will miss connecting with you here. The stories you’ve shared have really allowed me to get to know you better. Good luck and I hope to connect with you elsewhere.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

That’s one nice thing about the Internet. Even though it’s vast, our individual pockets are sort of like the little villages that spring up inside big cities. Booklovers will always find each other. Hope to see you soon!

12. Glenda says:

Hi Lexi I’ll miss reading your posts here. You’ll just need to do more blog posts on your website …. 😉 I do love the story of vacuuming your cat. One of my cats lets us give her medicine 4 times a day, but I don’t think I’d even try to vacuum her.