Cindy Kirk
Cindy Kirk

Jaunty Post

happy-ending

When people ask me what I like about writing romance, I tell them that I like that a happy ending is guaranteed.  From the time I began to read I loved the satisfied feeling I got when the animal in the story found his way home or when a sad child with no friends at the beginning of the book had friends at the end. I also liked any stories where good triumphed over evil.  Because, in my mind, that’s as it should be.

Another thing I like about romance novels are that you watch the characters grow and mature through adversity. They are not the same at the end of the book as they were at the beginning.  Part of that is due to the hero or heroine coming into their life. Through their interactions with that person they become more than they could have been without them in their life.  I know some might say that life is full of unhappy endings. I don’t dispute that, but when I sit down to relax with a book I want to be uplifted, not depressed.

That is why I read–and write–romance.

Cindy’s latest romance–with a happy ending guaranteed–is BE MINE IN GOOD HOPE

This book will be released 1/31/17 and is now available for pre-order. http://amzn.to/2ci4qjd

be-mine-in-good-hope-cover

20 thoughts on “A Happy Ending is Guaranteed!

1. Annette Naish says:

I agree, for me the common theme of a Happily Ever After is what draws me to romnace novels.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Annette, The Happily Ever After (HEA) is what has always drawn me to them, too!

2. Laney4 says:

You have encapsulated exactly why *I* read romances. Some people still frown upon romances, thinking it isn’t “real” writing. I don’t know how much more real it can be! And having that guaranteed HEA is vital to why I buy so many books.
    I remember back in 1973/1974 when I first started reading romances. Almost all the books back then were Harlequins, but occasionally I’d find others. I remember reading one (don’t remember the publisher) that did NOT have an HEA. I was so mad that I threw the book across the room and screamed in frustration (and I respect books on a daily basis!). I vowed never to read that line again. Mind you, MANY years later, other publishers came to my attention and Harlequin wasn’t the only big name out there anymore, so now I read from all sorts of publishers.
    To this day, I still love to read romances. For the HEAs. For the realistic writing. For the sweet dreams (as, OMG, some of the heroes know how to treat women). For feeling wanted. For feeling warm within. The bottom line is that these books take me to a sweet place. They calm me down. They take me away from whatever negative things have happened in my own life lately. Who could ask for anything more?

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Such a lovely explanation of why romance is so popular. Thanks, Laney!

3. Kate Sparks says:

When you realize how much of the world is not in a happy place, it makes reading romance a good getaway.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

You’re so right…and we all need that brightness and warmth!

4. Amy says:

Romance is the only fiction I read, because I want the certainty. I have had people ask me, “what’s the point if you know how it is going to end?” There’s a point. Trust me, there’s a point.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Amy, I’ve even been known to ask someone who recommends a non-romance book or movie to me–does it end happily? If not, I’ll pass. 🙂

I just love that cover.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

It’s definitely a favorite!

6. Lisa Hutson says:

Oh Cindy, I am so with you. There are other reasons I like to read romance. But #1 is the happy endings. Life does hand us challenges. But we don’t choose them for relaxing and entertainment.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Exactly, Lisa…why be depressed when you’re trying to relax and unwind…

7. Julie-ann Ford says:

I can’t wait to read this one, looks great. I have had enough drama in my life, I prefer happily ever afters in my books.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Me, too!!

8. Rochelle says:

Romance novels are a wonderful escape from the every day crazy. And a HEA is just icing on the cake!

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Totally agree, Rochelle!!!

9. catslady5@aol.com says:

I’ve enjoyed so many of your books and hope to continue with many more. You guys will all be missed at this blog but hope to find you on FB which is a sort HEA 🙂

10. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Catslady,

I will miss everyone too!!!

11. Eileen A-W says:

That happy ending is one of the reasons I read romance.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says: