Theresa Romain
Theresa Romain

advice, children, Halloween, kids, Theresa Romain

It started the night of Halloween. “I don’t feel good,” said Little Miss R.

When questioned about this statement, she clarified: she felt good enough to go trick-or-treating, of course. She just didn’t feel good enough for anything else we might want her to do, like take a shower. (She got to do the first, but she also had to do the second.)

For that matter, I didn’t feel too whippy myself. Just allergies, I thought, since we are having the longest summer evvvveeeerrrrrr and the ragweed is happy about it. But when she and I both woke up the next day with a fever, it was clear: we were sick.

When you call in your sick child on the day after Halloween, you get Peak Skepticism from the school office. It nagged at me all day, overachiever that I am. (“She really is sick! I swear! Cough cough cough me too!”)

When you’re sick on the first day of the month, you get…behind. I was supposed to pay lots of bills and open a new website contest and run a Facebook giveaway and turn in lots of documents to my publisher and, oh yeah, write this post. As of this writing, I am but partway through the list. However, Little Miss R is going back to school tomorrow—thus, no doubt, increasing the Was She Really Sick Skepticism of the office staff—and I’ll play catch up.

And Mr. R just got home with shrimp pho for me, so I think I’ll be feeling better soon too.

Tell me about your favorite way to feel better when you’re sick! To one random commenter, I’ll send a print copy of my historical romance Season for Surrender, which begins when the hero has a cold. International comments welcome. Winner announced on Sunday.

15 thoughts on “A Visit from A Bug

1. Dawn A says:

Chicken noodle soup, diet sprite and a lot of sleep.

2. Glenda says:

Sleep, chicken soup, sleep, lots of fluids, oh and sleep. Hope you’re both completely better soon!

3. catslady5@aol.com says:

If I have the choice, staying in bed surrounded by purring cats and reading (if possible) and maybe a hot cup of tea (I’m usually a coffee drnker). Soup is good too!

4. Amy says:

My son always wants my chicken noodle soup when he is sick. My husband likes to cook, so he is fine with making me whatever I want when I am sick which is usually toast with jelly, or cinnamon toast.

PG and USF had had colds for the last week. Now I think I’m getting it:-(

6. Natasha Persaud says:

I don’t have a choice but to take lots of medication since I can’t call in sick to work

7. Thank you all for your comments! I might be scarce today since Little Miss R is home again, carrying around an in-case-of-barf bowl. (She is a wee bit dramatic when she doesn’t feel good.) Visions of soup and sleep are dancing in my head.

8. Kate Sparks says:

Hot bath and a toddy!!!

9. girlfromwva says:

hope little miss is doing better. when i get sick, i go to bed, grab my fluffy blanket, have chinese chicken soup, drink powerade, and watch “girl movies” or stuff like “Sex and the City”.

10. Eileen A-W says:

Hot shower, soup and tea, Plus lounging in bed with a good book and no kids bothering me (like that ever happened).

11. Annette Naish says:

I hope both of you are feeling perkier now. And you can always go to the school secretary and cough all over her/his desk. That should show them y’all are really sick.

Sleep, chicken soup and peppermint tea. If I feel too badly, I just sleep. Isn’t it funny that sleep seems to help so much.

1. Annette, you have won the book! I’ll follow up with you by email.

12. Julie-ann Ford says:

When I am sick I just want to sleep all day and then when I get up I want something cool to drink and something light to eat. Then I go back to sleep. Usually the next day I am 100 percent better.

reading

14. LSUReader says:

When I’m ill, I just want to stay in bed and sleep…and read, of course.