a-coldwater-warm-hearts-weddingI love secondary characters. They give me a chance to weave a little depth into my imagined world. And they provide great foils for my hero & heroine.

In A COLDWATER WARM HEARTS WEDDING, the book I’m working on for next spring, my hero has an ornery little niece named Riley who drags chaos in her wake. She always says and does something unexpected. And most often, it’s something pretty funny.

But I didn’t have to search too far for inspiration for Riley. Mostly I just strolled memory lane and thought about all the times my daughters made my laugh.

When my oldest girl was not quite 2, we lived in Minneapolis where my Dear Husband worked for the now defunct Republic Airline. We were a one car family then, so if I needed the car on any particular day,#1 Daughter and I often drove to pick up her dad after work. She loved seeing the airplanes parked outside the hangar and talked about it to herself while I white-knuckled my way on the multi-lane highway around the airport. Here’s what I heard coming from the carseat in the back:

“Air-pane.” (L’s were a problem for her then.)

“Daddy’s air-pane.” (This made me smile. It was so cute that she thought her daddy owned the jets when he really just designed the computer systems that ran the airline.)

Then she spoke again, a little softer, but with definite emphasis. “MY air-pane.”

The logic was unassailable. Anything that belonged to her daddy was, by definition, hers. It was an attitude she carried all the way through high school and beyond. And she was right. All we have is available to help our kids and they know it. Fortunately, they’ve never abused the privilege and have grateful hearts.

OK, now it’s YOUR turn. Got any sweet stories to share about your kids, grandkids, nieces or nephews?

***

tcwwhcLexi’s first book in the Coldwater Cove series is in bookstores RIGHT NOW! She hopes you’ll love her “wounded warrior” hero, and the heroine who finds home right where she left it.

“This story will tug at your heart as a maligned heroine comes back under a cloud of suspicion and a damaged war hero helps her find a new happy ending.” – RTBOOKReviews

“The quirky characters, a minor mystery and the down-home feel in the first installment in Eddings’ Coldwater series will delight readers looking for a sweet small-town romance.” – C.L. Quillen, Booklist

Available at these fine stores!
         eBook: Kindle | Nook | Kobo | iBooks | Blio

17 thoughts on “Kids Really Do Say the Darnedest Things…

1. Dawn A says:

I used to work in a preschool. One day a three year old little girl was the last one at school and she asked if I would play Barbie’s with her. She told me I was the mommy and she was the daddy, then she says, very earnestly, “Hi honey, I’m home. Could you get me a beer?” I tried so hard not to laugh and I eventually said “I’ll get you a Coke instead.” It was so funny and I remember that little girl so fondly because she gave me one of my favorite memories of that job.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

Kids really do learn what they live, don’t they? Or as my mom would say, “See monkey, do monkey.” (She never could get that saying right!)

2. Kate Sparks says:

My sister and niece came home from the overseas station to have her 2nd baby. They were living with my mom for about 3 months total. They weren’t to return overseas til June. A friend and her husband visited over Memorial Day. It was hot and we were all in shorts. My toddler niece kept edging closer to the friend’s husband. Evidently she was missing her daddy… she got close to him and stroked his leg and said ‘Ohhhhh, daddy legs!!! Daddy legs!!’ The guy didn’t have kids and kinda freaked out a little til we told him how long it had been since she’d seen her dad..

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

Hahahaha! Maybe he was afraid someone would also say he had a “dad bod!”

I was telling my mom how my daughter questions everything. She asks me questions then doesn’t believe the answers.
    PG: Mom, what are people who live in Russia called?
    Me: Russians.
    PG: No, they’re not.

PG: How do you spell “voyage”?
    Me: V-O-Y-A-G-E.
    PG: No, you don’t.

Not sure how cute this is since she’s 7!!! I’m trying to ignore it.

1. Annette Naish says:

Just wait until she is 17 —-then the “No it’s not” will be the same only different.

2. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

My baby sister’s favorite saying was “Never know.” Even when my dad said, “Ask me, Jenny, I know.” She’d just shake her head and cling to her mantra.

4. Well, let’s just say that the Princess was an early talker, which meant she mispronounced a lot of stuff, since she was only 8 months old. She loved, loved, loved the American flag (still does). But at our Fourth of July parade, she pointed and said what clearly meant “Flag!” but may have sounded like a curse word also beginning with the letter F. I had to keep saying, “Yes, FLAG! Our beautiful FLAG. Such a wonderful FLAG.”

Kids. So adorable!

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

Oh! Just had to share that the same daughter featured above used to tell people she was a little “feet fart.” She meant “sweetheart” but it was so cute we put off correcting her for a while.

5. Julie-ann Ford says:

When my son was little he had a fascination with school buses, he would call them “gool bus”. One day we were passing a transit bus and he hollered Gool bus and I said “no, that is an MTA bus”. He said MT gool bus.

6. girlfromwva says:

i think one of the sweetest things about kids is what they say. like my oldest calling his Grandpa, Unk-Unk; my daughter saying “Ni-nok-ni-no” instead of Pinocchio; my middle son calling Santa Claus “Ho-Ho Man”; and my youngest saying moths are “night-time butterflies”.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

Hahaha! I think I’m going to have to steal “nighttime butterflies!”

7. Annette Naish says:

When my son was about 3 – he announced to everyone who would listen that he wanted to be a trash man when he grew up – he wanted to ride on the back of the truck so the wind could blow through his hair.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

Well, all work has a certain nobility to it. 😉

8. Michelle F. says: