Theresa Romain
Theresa Romain

Christmas, Harry Potter, Historical Romance, Our Books, Theresa Romain

Holiday Pleasures BundleLast week, my Holiday Pleasures historical romance quartet was re-issued as an ebook bundle. The four books in the series–Season for TemptationSeason for SurrenderSeason for ScandalSeason for Desire–were released in time for the holidays in 2011 through 2014. If you haven’t read the series, the bundle offers these four books at a significant discount over buying them all separately. You can find more info here.

It’s been fun to take another look at my first historical romance series. Season for Temptation was my historical romance debut, and it’s got rompy energy out the wazoo. (Not a Regency-correct term.) My style’s changed over time, which you can see if you read all four books in order, but I’ve never had so much fun writing a book as I had coming up with the love story of James and Julia.

In the months before Season for Temptation came out, I amused myself by making comparison tables on my blog. Since at the time I was one of about five people who had ever read SFT, I pretty much amused ONLY myself. Now that the Holiday Pleasures series has been re-issued, I thought it’d be a good time to revisit those comparisons again.

From May 2011:

Lately I’ve been working on the page proofs for SEASON FOR TEMPTATION, and also listening to Harry Potter books on audiotape.  (They make great company when you’re cooking, for example.)  This is probably why I’ve begun to notice a number of eerie similarities between SEASON and the Harry Potter series–similarities that, I think, cannot fail to turn SEASON into an international publishing phenomenon.

Behold:

screen-shot-2016-10-04-at-1-42-19-pm

But wait, there’s more!

screen-shot-2016-10-04-at-1-42-10-pm

See what I mean?  I can’t fail.  I fully expect to see children wearing cravats and waving sword-sticks at the movie version of SEASON FOR TEMPTATION sometime in 2014.

Alas, there was no movie version in 2014. But I continued to be inspired to create parallels; viz. this post from August 2011. Clearly I was into the table functions of Word.

I’ve been watching a lot of Food Network lately, maybe to inspire myself to cook more during these dog days of summer. (Not that the inspiration is very practical, since I usually watch cooking competitions that involve bizarre ingredients like canned haggis.)  This is probably why last night, instead of sleeping, I started thinking of how much my favorite show, Chopped, has in common with SEASON FOR TEMPTATION.

If you’ve never seen Chopped, here’s the format:  four chefs, three rounds of competition (appetizer, entrée, dessert). In each round, the chefs have to base their dishes on the cray-cray ingredients out of a mystery basket, and after each round, one chef is eliminated from the competition.

So how is SEASON like Chopped?  There are several scenes set during meals, and I think the parallels are fairly uncanny:

screen-shot-2016-10-04-at-1-41-02-pm

See what I mean? That. Is. Amazing.

If you’ve read SFT, what do you think of my comparisons? Or if you haven’t, what other goofy and/or inappropriate things would you like to see a romance compared to? I can’t promise I’ll create another table, but I DO promise to give one of you a print copy of a Holiday Pleasures book. Winner’s choice! One winner will be chosen at random from among all comments on this post, and will be announced on Sunday. International entries welcome.

24 thoughts on “Harry Potter vs. Season for Temptation

Wow. Those are quite the tables. Impressive.

1. In 2011 I was apparently very energetic. Ah, youth.

2. Kate Sparks says:

I’m impressed by your procrastination methods….. lol !!

1. Kate, ha! I don’t know if it was so much procrastination as it was excitement. In 2011 I was looking forward to my first romance being published, and I spent the year constantly punchy.

3. Lisa Hutson says:

Lol Very creative! How about comparing a story to a road trip? A day with a kindergarten class? A disastrous shopping trip? Or a building experience….like building a picnic/bbq area? Or dealing with a car repair situation?

1. Lisa, I am going to check with you next time I need ideas for a blog tour. 🙂 In my mind, the day with the kindergarten class, the disastrous shopping trip, and the car repair situation are all being blended into one. That would make for a dramatic table indeed.

4. Annette Naish says:

If I were able to make a comment, I would not know where to begin. The possibilities are endless. So, I will just say WOW.

1. Thanks, I hope? 🙂 Looking back, I have no idea how I came up with some of that. But hey, the tables really do tell you something about the book.

5. Kirsten says:

Oh I love plumpudding!! My mom makes a great one for us every year 😀 Haven’t read Harry Potter or seem the movies. But if there is Christmas in it I might have to give it a go 😉

1. Kirsten, yes! Every HP story takes place over the course of a year, from summer to the end of the following spring. So around the middle of each book, there are Christmas scenes.

6. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

Very funny, Theresa! Love your comparison tables.

7. Dawn A says:

Love the tables

1. Thanks, Dawn. At this distance in time, I hardly remember making them, but I’m sure they were fun!

undercover boss

1. Ha! That would make for quite the table.

9. Julie-ann Ford says:

Reminds me of 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon. Have you tried that one yet?

1. Julie-ann, that is genius. With six degrees to work with, you could compare ANYTHING.

10. Gretchen says:

So cute and funny

11. LSUReader says:

Too wonderful for words…I would need a chart to express my pleasure!

1. Ha–thanks, LSUReader!

12. girlfromwva says:

i think it would be interesting to compare romance to a natural disaster…

13. Charlene Whitehouse says:

Very impressive. Looks like you have it all under control. Lol.