Lexi Eddings
Lexi Eddings

Lexi Eddings

Tags:

charlietoyI love dogs in stories, but I can’t stand it when the animal invariably dies in the end. That’s why when I let my hero Jake in THE COLDWATER WARM HEARTS CLUB acquires a pet, he ends up saving the dog instead of mourning him. After snatching the straggly mutt from dodging traffic, Jake decides to name him “Speedbump.” Jake would never have picked this little pile of fur for a pet, but Lacy loves it at first sight.

And Jake loves her.

He just hasn’t figured out how to show her yet. In the short excerpt below, he and Lacy are cleaning the filthy pup up.

***

“Well, I guess Speedbump is better than Roadkill. Speedbump it is.” Lacy gently placed the dog into the sink of warm water.

The newly christened pup didn’t think much of the arrangement. He startled and quivered with nervousness. Whenever she dipped a handful of water on him, he gave a full body shake, flinging droplets all over. By the time Jake returned with the shampoo and an old towel, the front of Lacy’s navy T-shirt was drenched.

“Let me help,” Jake said. “Maybe he’ll stop shaking.”

He poured a quarter-sized amount of shampoo into his palm. Then he stood behind Lacy, put his arms around her and reached into the sink to scrub the dog.

Whether it was the addition of another pair of hands or the fresh scent of shampoo, Speedbump finally stood still and let them wash him.

Truthfully, Lacy sort of lost track of the dog altogether. She was too distracted by the heat coming off the chest of the man behind her. There was something undeniably pleasurable about having Jake so close. The strength of his arms around her, the way their hands slipped and slid against each other in the bubbles, the—

Lacy started to giggle.

“What’s so funny?” Jake wanted to know.

“Doesn’t this remind you of something?” She turned so she was caught between his body and the sink. “The pottery wheel bit from Ghost?”

The scene where the doomed lovers worked a disastrous pot on a wheel together, slathered in liquefied clay, had been lampooned plenty of times in later comedies, but the first time Lacy had seen it, she thought it was one of the most sensual love scenes ever. Jake must have thought so, too, because his gaze met hers with undeniable heat.

He wants to kiss me.

And she wanted him to with an urgency that surprised her. She slid her arms around his neck and stood on tiptoe as he bent to meet her mouth.

***

But alas, “the course of true love never did run smooth.” In a few paragraphs, Speedbump leaps out of the sink, dashes around the room flinging soapy water everywhere and ruins the mood completely. But you get the idea that both Jake and Lacy are caring people whose hearts are big enough to take in a furry little stranger.

tcwwhcHave you ever adopted a pet?  The fuzzy little dog at the top of this post is my own Charlie, the inspiration for Speedbump. Charlie was also a stray we rescued from traffic.  Share your thoughts on “found pets” for your chance to win a print copy of my new release, THE COLDWATER WARM HEARTS CLUB!

“This story will tug at your heart as a maligned heroine comes back home under a cloud of suspicion and a damaged war hero helps her find a new happy ending.” – RTBOOKReviews

Available at these fine stores!
         eBook: Kindle | Nook | Kobo | iBooks | Blio

14 thoughts on “Puppy Love

1. Laney4 says:

My parents bought one of my neighbours’ pups when I was a kid (in a small town); there weren’t any nearby shelters that I can recall. (In fact, I don’t even remember KNOWING about a shelter!)

My husband of 35 years was diagnosed as allergic to pet dander/fur early on in our marriage so, despite longing for a dog, we didn’t have a pet; just stuffed animals, and lots of those.

Then along came my husband’s “miracle cure”: a nasal spray that was so good that he didn’t seem to have flare-ups anymore, so we introduced a Golden Retriever onto our garage couch (without his knowledge) – and no reaction from my husband! Next we brought the dog into the main level of our home, again without my husband’s knowledge – and no reaction! We followed that up by having my husband actually pet the dog repeatedly – and no reaction! From then on, we dogsat the Golden whenever possible – and my husband was fine. Friends heard and, the next thing we knew, we were dogsitting other Goldens and a couple of smaller dogs – all with no allergic (eye watering or sniffling) reactions.

We still won’t get our own dog, as we’re retired and watching our money, but we ARE still dogsitting – and loving every moment of it!

2. Amy says:

All four of our pets are rescues. We found some, some found us.

3. Rochelle says:

About 6 months after our beloved lab had died, we were driving by a Petsmart. My son saw a rescue group in front of the store and asked if we could stop and just “look” at the dogs. And here we are, 8 1/2 years later, with our much loved, highly energetic, 10 year old lab pointer mix.

4. Dawn A says:

We adopted some cats from a farm, but we never really ‘rescued’ any.

I have 3 adopted animals–2 cats and a dog who were rescued as strays or from the pound. Never kill the animal in a book! That’s rule #1. Your Charlie is a great singer too!

6. Kate Sparks says:

My sister is always rescuing dogs & cats.. I’ve never been able to do so due to where I live.

7. Annette Naish says:

I live with 2 rescued elderly dogs. When we first got them about 10 years ago, they were afraid of loud noises, could only sleep close to the wall, not in the middle of the room, and were generally afraid of the world. Now they are both cancer survivors. Both had several surgeries to remove small tumors and one has lost a front leg to cancer. Now Molly, the girl who lost her leg has a return of cancer. There will not be anymore surgery. But, she is happy, and she gets to stare out the front door and intimidate all those pushy squirrels. I would not trade any of the years I have had with these girls, I have been very lucky.

8. Glenda says:

My last 4 cats have been rescues – 3 have turned up in our yard. One of them was treed by our golden retriever and spent the night up there. He got to spent over 17 years being spoiled as a result.

9. I loved that excerpt, Lexi! Dogs are just too wonderful! Of course, so are cats!! 😉

nice to adopt

11. catslady5@aol.com says:

Our first dog was a papered beagle but our next dog was a rescue (and a real sweetheart). We also got a kitten as a rescue and then I started helping with ferals and strays so have had many, many cats! I really love all animals.

12. Eileen A-W says:

Teddy is our second dog. We lost Zoe, a wired fox terrier, when she was 11-1/2. She was a wonderful pet for the kids. Definitely a terror, er terrier, with a determination to get her way. Teddy is an eight pound yorkie mix. He is different from Zoe as he picked us. We got him when he was 15 pounds. I held him and he nestled on my shoulder. He still loves to cuddle, even 4-1/2 years later. He takes us on walks. He chooses the path we go, if not he will sit down and wait until he gets his way. I don’t know what we would do without the joy he brings to our lives.

13. Julie-ann Ford says:

We adopted our dog, Havok, on Christmas Eve. The person we got him from was going to put him down because he was the runt of the litter and had some issues. He is now 7 years old and he still lives up to his name.

14. Charlene Whitehouse says:

I have 2 Toy Tea Poodles. Chloe and Snoopy. I love them unconditionally. I would not know what I would do without them.