chryslerbuildingThere’s no doubt about it. Cities are exciting. Everything’s at your fingertips–theater, dining, museums, shopping for real designer clothes(or at least very convincing knock-offs!) and entertainment of all sorts. There’s so much to do and so little time.

When you live in fly over country, uh…reverse that.

For example, last time was I in NYC having a meal with my editor and agent, the dinner conversation about what was going on in our respective worlds went something like this:

Beloved Editor: “I recently saw the most amazing new Broadway show.”

Tireless & Long-Suffering Agent: “From the window of my office I can watch wind surfers on the river.”

possum-006Me: “Um…we had a possum in our yard last week.”

True story.

Not that living in a small town doesn’t have its charms. I love the fact that I’m likely to meet someone I know every time I pop into the store for a gallon of milk. And even though your neighbors are likely to be nosy, it’s usually out of genuine concern.

That’s why when I started writing The Coldwater Warm Hearts Club, I decided to make the town a bit of a character itself. I gave Coldwater Cove all the things I look for in a small town. It’s nestled in the green Ozark hills and is snugged up to a spring-fed lake, with icy water so clean you can see clear to the bottom. There’s a charming Town Square around a slightly fussy Victorian courthouse and a gazebo in the middle of the city park by the lakeside where the community band holds slightly out-of-tune concerts on soft summer evenings.  It’s home to a quirky liberal arts college whose graduates are almost guaranteed not to get jobs in their fields of study. And even though Coldwater Cove has had high speed internet for a couple of years, the fastest way to spread the news is still the Methodist Prayer Chain.

I know “worldbuilding” is supposed to be the province of sci-fi and fantasy authors, but I felt like I was building a little world of my own. A kinder, slower-paced world. A place where no one gets robo-calls from politicians. OK, maybe even Coldwater Cove can’t get away from that, but you get the idea. I wanted to create a town everyone would want to live in.

Too bad my heroine didn’t want to. If you’d like to see what happens when Lacy has to move back to Coldwater Cove, please pop over to check out the first chapter!

tcwwhc“[A] strong debut….The heart-tugging scenes, stellar characters, captivating secondary storylines, and small-town charisma will whet readers’ appetites for a return visit to Coldwater.” – Publishers Weekly

Available at these fine stores!
         eBook: Kindle | Nook | Kobo | iBooks | Blio
So now it’s YOUR turn. My DH says he’d like to live in the world of Star Trek. Is there a fictional world you’d like to move into?
Special Announcement: Congratulations to Cathie M of Buffalo, NY! She won the grand prize in my pre-order contest. Thank you again to everyone who entered. You all should be receiving my enovella Coldwater Blues very soon!

16 thoughts on “Meanwhile, in fly-over country…

1. Kate Sparks says:

I’d take LOTR without the action or just moved to New Zealand.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

I soooo want to see NZ someday. Definitely a bucket list item!

2. Dawn A says:

I could live at Hogwarts or the Shire.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

I’m thinking the moving staircases would freak me out too much since I tend toward motion sickness. Hobbiton sounds more my speed.

I wouldn’t mind the Outlander world if I could come home when it got too scary.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

I wouldn’t mind 18th century Scotland if they had indoor plumbing and modern medicine! 😉 Of course, they have Jamie Fraser so that does count for something!

4. I’d like to visit Hogwarts! But as a Muggle, there wouldn’t be a whole lot for me to do there.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

Oh, I don’t know. You might discover some latent magical gifts once you got there. 😉

5. Annette Naish says:

I would like to live in Coldwater Cove. I live in a city now, Austin TX. There are possum, raccoons, hawks in my neighborhood. Deer live in some other neighborhoods. But, I would really prefer to live in a small town. I have in the past and I liked the fact that I recognized people who I saw around town. If you remember the movie, It’s A Wonderful LIfe, I would like Bedford Falls without the snow.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

Bedford Falls is a wonderful example of an idyllic town. However, it wouldn’t be the same without at least some snow. Last year in the little town I live in now we got about an inch on Christmas Eve and it was all gone by New Years. It was the only snow we got all season.

Oh, if I could only order that up each year!

6. catslady5@aol.com says:

Probably not – I enjoy reading about differebt locations and times but it would be hard to fit in to most of them I would think.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

When I used to write historicals I was often asked what time period I’d like to live in. I always answered “The present!” I’d hate to give up hot water and antibiotics!

7. Julie-ann Ford says:

I would love to live in Lucky Harbor by Jill Shalvis. The residents there are so hilarious.

8. Eileen A-W says:

I would love to live in Thunder Point by Robyn Carr or Lucky Harbor by Jill Shalvis. I thought about the place Kristan Higgins’ Blue Heron area but I’ve visited it and know it’s real.

1. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

All Kristan’s locations are wonderful, whether they’re based on something real or born in her oh-so-fertile imagination!