I’m a bit scattered this week working toward two deadlines and preparing to leave for a visit to Louisiana. Ok, “a bit” is a massive understatement. So I’ll take refuge in a list. Here are some things I’ve been loving lately:

*My nieces! About four weeks ago, one was born, and two weeks ago, another turned two years old. Last week, my six-year-old niece had her first meeting as a Daisy Scout. They’re all such cute and fun little people. I would love to see them more often.

screen-shot-2016-09-20-at-4-30-04-pm*Baking with pumpkin and applesauce. Does that sound like a toddler’s playdate? It’s really good, I swear. Turns out the old baking trick of substituting applesauce for oil is extra-excellent when you’re baking pumpkin goodies. The flavors and spices work beautifully together.

*Wi-fi hotspots. I used my phone as one on our trip to California in July, and it felt like living in the future. “How am I on the Internet when we’re zooming through mountain roads at 60 miles per hour?” Actually, the mountains blocked my cell phone signal, so that was the one place the hotspot did not work well. But you know what I mean. I just got set up with a stand-alone hotspot for my drive to Louisiana. Now that’s the way to handle a road trip (when you’re not the one driving, that is).

*Amy Schumer’s The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo. I like Schumer’s comedy (though it’s definitely not safe for watching when Little Miss R is around), and I thought this book would be in the same vein. It is, but it’s also much more. In some truly poignant essays, she talks about everything from domestic partner violence to family-of-origin infidelity. I expected this book to make me laugh, but I didn’t also expect it to punch me in the feelings.

*Library book sales. Our Friends of the Library organization puts on a huge book sale twice a year, and the fall sale is tonight. I can NOT WAIT. Besides hitting the romance section, I’m going to look for large print for my grandparents, some chapter books for Little Miss R, the Twilight books for Mr. R…nah, just kidding about that last one. He already got all the Twilight books at the *last* library book sale.

What’s something you’ve been enjoying lately? Do tell, because positive news is the coolest and best.

24 thoughts on “Five Things to Love

1. Amy says:

I enjoy finding new authors. This week I have been reading a new-to-me author and am liking the story very much. More good news….she has more books in print to read. Score! ☺️

1. Amy, that’s such a great feeling to find a new author you really click with. Hope you enjoy her other books too!

I’m enjoying the start of the new school year. It’s nice to have a schedule again. And I’m getting ready to go to the Historical Romance Retreat.

1. Shana, safe travels! I’m looking forward to seeing lots of pictures from the HRR. That should be an amazing weekend.

3. Dawn A says:

My brother is getting married this weekend and I’ve been helping with a lot of the set-up. It has been so much fun to stretch my creative wings.

1. Dawn, how fun. Congrats to your brother!

4. Karenmc says:

The nieces and nephews in my family are glorious humans, too. I’ve been staving off political hate with the wonder that is @dog_rates, the happiest thing on the internet (although the recently discovered @EveythingGoats gives it a run for its money).

1. Karenmc, thanks for the recs. I’ve seen @dog_rates (12/10, would read feed again) but hadn’t come across the goats. So much cuteness.

5. I’ve liked sending my college-age relatives care packages. It’s so much fun! And they’re so happy when they get them!

1. Kristan, that’s so nice! Unexpected care packages are pretty much the best mail ever.

6. Annette Naish says:

Theresa – hope your trip is a wonderful one.

7. eap says:

good luck at the library book sale and meeting your deadlines

1. Thanks, eap! I came home from the sale yesterday with two tote bags full, including 5 large-print books I think my grandparents will like.

8. catslady5@aol.com says:

We’ve started our bowling again after a summer break. Great to be back with friends and lunch outings 🙂

1. Catslady, that sounds like a fun tradition. I’m a terrible bowler, but I still like to go when my friends do so I can hang out with them.

9. Julie-ann Ford says:

Reading new releases from some of my favorite authors and finding new ones.

1. Julie-ann, that’s one of the great joys of life. 🙂

10. Ooh, Theresa, I love our library book sales, too! They are almost always associated with a craft or art fair around the little nearby lake, and it is my absolute favorite outing. And I have to admit I’m ready to make some of those pumpkin/applesauce things right this minute. Boy, do they look great! One thing we’ve discovered lately is the silly fun of going to trivia night at a local restaurant we like. It’s usually either four or six of us, because we really need the young ‘uns to answer those questions about pop stars. 🙂 We bombed the first few times out, which got our fur ruffled, and so we really began to enter into the spirit. Now we are having a ball!

1. Kathleen, what fun! I love trivia games like that! Best of luck next time you compete. 🙂 And Nancy posted a pumpkin bread recipe on Tuesday–it looks ah-may-zing. Just swap the oil for applesauce and you’ll pretty much have what Little Miss R and I made!

11. Eileen A-W says:

I finished half the table runners for my daughter’s wedding, which is in 3-1/2 weeks. Also, I’m working hard on getting through all the ARCs I’ve received and writing reviews for them. It will be nice to be ahead.

1. Eileen, you must be swamped right now with prep for the wedding. Congratulations to your daughter! A fall wedding will be beautiful.

12. Gretchen says:

Not a fan of Amy. Depends on the day. My sisters birthday was yesterday. Mine is next month. Lucky duck your visiting my home state. awesome

1. Gretchen, happy belated to your sister and happy early birthday to you. 🙂 Where are you from in Louisiana? I lived in Baton Rouge until I was 10, so it was my first hometown.