Kristan Higgins
Kristan Higgins

Jaunty Post

Have you had a bad day? Feeling the September blues, like me? Can’t seem to snap out of it? Fear not! Help is on the way in the form of Kristan’s Guaranteed Mood Boosters!

mason-jar-colourful-flowers

1. Pick yourself some flowers, stick them in a vase or jar and voila! Prettiness ensues. Don’t have a garden? That’s what florists, farm markets, corner delis and grocery stores are for, people! Buy a few stems and treat yourself.
  2. Line dry your sheets. Trust your Auntie Kristan. It’s worth the effort. The smell of line-dried laundry is heavenly. Plus, you’re saving the earth by not running your dryer, so good on you!
  3. Take a nap. Did you know that naps have the same mood-boosting abilities as, um, happy drugs? Okay, I just made that up, but it seems to be true. Also, most of us don’t get enough sleep. Naps are proven to boost creativity, keep you healthier and make you feel deliciously indulgent. Go ahead. Snooze.
  4. Borrow someone’s baby. (Note: Only with permission!) Babies are great. They smell nice (mostly). They can be charmed by holding a piece of grass. Look into those beautiful baby eyes. Smile. Repeat. Come on, now. Isn’t that img_2848the best feeling ever?
  5. Lie on the grass and look at the sky. People, I’m telling you, it’s impossible to feel too down if you do this. We are all creatures of the earth. It’s good to visit our mother once in a while.

What are some of your guaranteed mood boosters? I’ll send one commenter a $10 Dunkin Donuts gift card, because guess what? Coffee with whipped cream is also proven to lift a mood. Ditto a tasty donut. : )

42 thoughts on “Kristan’s Guaranteed Mood Boosters! Plus Coffee!

1. sharon salituro says:

relaxing with a good book and a cup of coffee

2. Laura M says:

Baking! The process and the yummy result always boost my mood.

3. Jill Bartlett says:

Cleaning. I know it sounds crazy, but when I’m in a funk, I pick a room and just start cleaning. By the time I’m done, I feel 100 times better. Sitting outside with my eyes closed and just listening is another mood booster that will always work. Just focusing on whatever sounds I hear and letting the wind, sun or heat relax my body and soul.

1. Elizabeth says:

Glad to know I’m not the only “happy cleaner”, Jill. This weekend included getting rid of stuff that was no longer needed, bringing out the fall decorations, and adding a beautiful blooming sunflower to my writing table.

1. Jillian Benson Bartlett says:

Redecorating always helps boost my mood too!!! A fresh look at the same rooms can do wonders.

4. Vanessa R says:

Talk to my kids or my hubby! They get my mind off my own problems. Of course, reading works too!

5. Cindy Schultz says:

Watching pride and prejudice, reading a book or a long hot bath.

6. Lisa Hutson says:

Picking my granddaughter up for some time together! Nothing boosts my mood more.

7. Darlene Jones says:

Sitting on my porch swing with my husband and my dog Bella listening to the wind chimes and visiting with my neighbors!! We need to bring back the front porch and get to know our neighbors!

8. Nanette says:

Spending time with my grandchildren, reading a good book or meditating.

9. deborah zarzycki says:

relaxing and reading before going to bed

10. Jennifer Haines says:

Reading, baking, and being crafty all help me to relax as well as recharge!

11. Harriet sexton says:

Sew, knit, or bake. Sometimes I go for a walk w/ my current audiobook. I also enjoy thrift store shopping. I guess it’s the thrill of the hunt.

12. Absolutely reading & especially a Kristan Higgins book! Not at all sucking up…..it’s a fact,I love the humor in your books!

13. Kathryn in Montreal says:

Spending time with my kids is pretty much guaranteed to be a mood booster since none of them live at home any more. Gardening… sometimes I need the physical workout reclaiming, moving or creating a garden entails, sometimes just the satisfaction of deadheading and light weeding. I also love to sit on my garden swing to read, knit or just be. And a pedicure always makes me feel good… happy, pretty toes and someone doing the work for me (and I love the massage chairs!).

14. Claire Matthews says:

I listen to Broadway show tunes. Lame, I know, but it’s my go-to mood booster. 🙂

15. I always find a heaping spoonful of peanut butter (or Nutella) can really boost my mood. Of course, spending time with friends or family – and I have the best of both worlds. Re-reading a great book, because if you know it’s great, mood boost = guaranteed. And last but certainly not least, playing sports. My endorphins are at their happiest when I’m kicking balls and spiking balls and dodging balls. Weird. 😀

16. Amy says:

Listening to one of my upbeat playlists.

17. Dawn A says:

Listening to some good music (it has to be loud), dancing, painting and coloring are a few of my mood boosters!

18. Perri Byrne says:

Playing music loudly (and “singing”) from a time where/when I was “someplace” happier, or, nestle up with a really great, favorite book.

19. Rebecca Christian says:

Baking. It’s hard to be blue when you are concentrating on a recipe for something good. If it’s something you plan to share or give to someone you feel even better. And you get some aromatherapy as well!

20. Sabrina Shields says:

Listen to a fun, upbeat song and dance around the room to the beat – no one is watching so just let it out!

21. Bonnie Miner says:

Listening to a James Taylor CD ~ I have them all! This time of year, “October Road” CD gets a lot of play. I love to have it on as background music as I read and sip hot tea. Chai Spice, Earl Grey, English Breakfast…. I also enjoy cooking when I am feeling well, so that is another way to lift my mood!

22. Lexi Eddings Lexi Eddings says:

Putting my feet up with a snuggly dog on my lap. If I don’t do it early enough in the day, Mack and Charlie start following me around waiting to seize the moment.

Petting my dog and cats. Pets lower your blood pressure 🙂

24. Annette Naish says:

Listening to music, reading a wonderful book, talking to someone who laughs with me at the silliness around us, or looking at my 2 dog girls and seeing those eyes.

25. Jen A says:

Holding a baby is a mood booster for me.

26. Leslee Nevius says:

Going on a walk and cuddling my puppy. There is no love like an unconditional puppy love…plus, they have such a unique take on the world. Just try seeing the world through a puppy’s eyes. It’s guaranteed to make you happier!

27. Love these tips, Kristan! Getting down on the ground and playing with my dog is an instant mood booster. I just can’t be anything by happy when I see her doggy smile!

28. Arlene says:

Losing myself in a good book or walking barefoot on the shore of a sandy beach. Since I live in the mountains, you can guess how often I get to do that second one!

29. Jane says:

Relaxing is reading a book knowing that I don’t have to write a report on it.

30. LSUReader says:

Playing with a friendly puppy, admiring my garden, reading a good book, and talking to my Mom and sister are guaranteed mood lifters for me.

31. catslady5@aol.com says:

Either playing games or best of all, reading!

32. Megan says:

Buy pretty panties, who cares if no one else sees them, they make you feel pretty.

33. Lisa Zeigler says:

Reading! A day’s not complete if I haven’t had time to read. And it wouldn’t hurt to have a special coffee to go with it!

chocolate

35. Julie-ann Ford says:

1. Open all the windows and blast the music (singing optional).
    2. Go to the pound and cuddle with some puppies or kittens.
    3. Go to my favorite quiet place and open up a book.

36. Tessa says:

Watching the Hallmark Channel or HGTV for decorating ideas!

37. Eileen A-W says:

Baking cookies because I can get rid of any anger when I’m beating the butter and sugar. It has worked for me for a very long time. Plus we have cookies when I’m calmer. The other is taking my pup on a walk on a beautiful day. It just clears my mind. Although, yours are pretty good too. <3

38. Tina Corley says:

I like to sit down with my beautiful doggy LuLu Belle and brush her. It’s calming for both of us and she looks so good afterwards! I think the repetitive motion plus knowing that I’m giving back love to my precious makes me feel happy and content. The doggy kisses aren’t bad either!

39. Sharon L says:

I listen to “Cruel, Crazy Beautiful World” by Johnny Clegg and Savuka. And do the Steve Martin “Happy Feet” dance.

40. Laney4 says:

Good music for dancing (just like Ellen)….