When I was growing up in Central Florida the space program and NASA was a really big deal. There wasn’t a launch that I couldn’t see from my house (even though I lived in the middle of the state and not on the coast) in fact when there was a launch sometimes my dad would get out the ladder and we’d all climb up and sit on the roof to watch it. This is probably something that no parent would do today but I loved it.

Mission to mars

My first job was at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom in Orlando and it was in Tomorrowland. The ride I worked on was Mission To Mars. It was a simulated space journey to Mars and part of my job was interrupt the audio animatronic Mr. Johnson in mission control to get guests onto the space craft. I had a thirty second interaction with a robot, how cool is that?! If you remember the ride you might have thought it was tired in the 80s but a part of me just loved it. And in that last hour before the theme park closed and we didn’t get that many guests through the ride I’d make up stories about going to Mars. Since I was a romance reading addict from an early age those stories always involved myself as the plucky heroine and some dashing astronaut dude as the hero.

This series is really close to my heart. It came out of a conversation about the space program and ranches in Florida. I also grew up in a very rural area and my parents have had everything from an egg ranch to a citrus grove. I never had any doubt about where the meat on our kitchen table came from (my dad was a big proponent of not naming animals anything except steak or bacon since that was what they’d become!). So I was remarking to my editor that most people don’t realize that Florida has so many ranches. And then we talked about combining it with the space program.

The NASA missions all launch from Florida but mission control and training takes place in Texas—a place I’ve also lived and when I got home from the conference I sent my editor an email and the series Space Cowboys was born.

I’ve got an autographed copy of NO LIMITS to give-away to one of you. All you have to do to be entered to win is to tell me something from your childhood that you loved or tell me about your favorite Disney World ride…mine is It’s A Small World—which I also got to work at! It was really a dream come true. I loved every second of it.

Happy reading!

Kathy

9780373799145Some cowboys are outta this world…

Astronaut Jason “Ace” McCoy tried to escape Cole’s Hill, Texas—and the memory of Molly Tanner’s dark eyes and strawberry-scented hair—among the stars. Now he and Molly have jointly inherited her father’s struggling ranch. And having failed his latest medical tests, Ace is on leave—maybe forever.

He’s determined to sort things out with the ranch and get back to Houston as soon as possible. What he isn’t counting on is that Molly’s only gotten more beautiful over the years…and she still wants him. The passion between them is hotter than rocket fuel—and just as dangerous. He can’t promise anything as long as there’s a chance to go on another mission. But even in orbit, this attraction has no rules…and no limits.

Harlequin Blaze, On Sale: September 1, 2016, e-Book, ISBN: 9781488000355 / eISBN: 9781488000355

18 thoughts on “No Limits Behind the Scenes

1. Lisa Hutson says:

Small world is also a big favorite of mine. A fun memory….the first time my parents took us to wdw, they had those ticket books. You had a book of different color tickets. Each”land” had a color and you had so many tickets to use in that color. What a terrible idea. Once you ran out of that color tickets, no more rides in that “land”. *much sadness*. BUT….one of the “free” rides was small world. You could ride it as much as you wanted to. It was long and cool and relaxing. Fabulous memories.
    We camped at wdw in those years. Movies at night. Mickey & Minnie. Swimming pool.
    Still love Disney today. Only now, we take our granddaughter to Disneyland every year at Christmas.
    Husband and I went this past February. Our first time with no kids. Ha ha I highly recommend it!

2. Sandi in OH says:

We went to Disney World for the first time when we were in our sixties. My favorite ride was and is Soaring. This is the ride that flies over California. I loved it so much that we rode it twice. I was born in Fresno but brought back to Ohio when I was six months old. I figured that the ride was the closest I’d get to CA. Two years ago we did go to Fresno. I can now say that I’ve seen where I was born. My mom was surprised to find out that it is now the 5th largest city in CA. I grew up watching Walt Disney’s television show. I saw how the monorail was built. My second favorite ride is the monorail.

3. Amy says:

I grew up on a farm and was cautioned not to name the animals. Our horses were the only ones with names. But my grandfather named the boy horses the same name and the girl horses the same name. He loved trading horses, so he did not want to individualize them enough for me to get too attached to them as well. I remember nothing cuter than the little piglets though. So sweet.

4. Glenda says:

I remember going to Disneyland back when you bought ‘keys’ – tickets for each ride. Different rides had different values so you had to plan well. The first time I rode The Pirates of the Caribbean ride I was terrified- well that and the Haunted House. Now I love those rides!!

5. Dawn A says:

Thunder Mountain. The line was always ridiculously long, but it was worth it when you got on the ride. My second favorite was Pirates of the Caribbean. I loved the dog with the key and was tickled when they put that scene in the first movie.

6. Joyce M. says:

I must admit that I have never been to Disney, but my sons love it and my grandchildren love it too. I have always admired the space program and was crushed when it was shut down.

7. catslady5@aol.com says:

When I got a cat for Christmas when I was 11 – I never thought my parents would give in to getting me a pet. The rest is history lol.

8. Annette Naish says:

I did not grow up on a farm. But, we had chickens who came as babies for Easter. Eventually they disappeared, I do not want to think that any of them may have become a Sunday dinner. We had a duck who grew up to be such a bully he had to be moved to a lake so he could be a bully with other ducks.

Our house had many pets, my sister had a rabbit who ate my mother’s bed side table legs. I had a skunk who ate my mother’s drapes. We also had dogs. They must have been slackers, they did not eat anything but dog food.

9. Love this concept for a series, Katherine! Well done!

10. Kate Sparks says:

My sister worked in a pre-school in Cocoa Beach. Everytime there was a launch, they took the kids out to watch.. We didn’t do any pets.

I don’t like rides much. My favorite thing at WDW was meeting Flynn Rider. Living in Houston, I’ve always enjoyed going to NASA.

12. girlfromwva says:

i never went to Walt Disney World until 2 years ago. DUMBO was my favorite growing up, loved watching it. i still have a record album that came with a story book that i got when i was about 8 years old. SO when i went to Disney, i rode the DUMBO ride… 🙂

13. Ellen C. says:

We went to Disney for our honeymoon. My favorite ride was Thunder Mountain…a little scary, but I was able to keep my eyes open for most of it.

pirates of the Caribbean

15. Julie-ann Ford says:

It is not from my childhood but my children’s. Every 4th of July we would go to the fireworks and park in the field directly under them. We would put blankets in the back of the pick up and everyone would lay there and watch them explode right over our heads. It was magical. My favorite attraction at Disney was the 4d version of It’s A Bugs Life.

16. Eileen A-W says:

I was 5 years old the first time I went to Disneyland. My mom, grandma, brother and I took the train across the country from Chicago to Claremont or Ponoma, California to visit my uncle and cousins who lived there. This was in the early years of Disneyland (4 years after opening) when they still had the lettered tickets (A, B, C, D, and E). The A tickets were for stuff like the Dumbo ride while E tickets were for the Matterhorn. I don’t remember much about that visit to Disneyland but I’ve been there several times since. I’ve yet to been to Disney World and am not sure if I ever will.

17. Michelle F. says:

Never been to Disney World, but I went to Busch Gardens in 2000 and went on the Escape from Pompeii boat ride. I have the T-shirt, too!

1. Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for your blog. You have some really good articles and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please blast me an e-mail if interested. Thanks!