Vanessa Kelly
Vanessa Kelly

family, Holidays, Jaunty Post, Vanessa Kelly

IMG_1105

Yes, that is a chocolate dragon’s egg, er, Easter egg, and it was filled with CHOCOLATE COVERED POPCORN!!!

I think we can agree that’s pretty good. And it’s also bad, because eating so much Easter candy (along with not one but TWO chocolate cakes), especially when combined with champagne, can lead to some very bad things. Like an EPIC sugar hangover.

Some of my family was visiting for Easter this last weekend. Which was mostly very good, except for the few times we wandered into the political arena. Fortunately, we all managed to pull back before too much damage was inflicted on the combatants.

We were a fairly small group this year: my 92-old dad, my stepmother (who takes excellent care of Dad), my brother and his wife, and two of my nieces. It was actually the perfect size because my dad does tend to get a bit overwhelmed with the noise and commotion. Because in addition to celebrating this joyous religious holiday, we were also celebrating my sister-in-law’s 60th birthday. As you can imagine, that is both good and bad depending on how you feel about turning 60. But as my esteemed father says: it’s hell getting old but the alternative is worse.

IMG_1078

This is a picture of my father and my sister-in-law cutting the rug to some Frank Sinatra. That is indeed good.

And here’s a picture of Dad with his two beautiful granddaughters. Trust me when I tell you that they are beautiful both inside and out, and super smart. And that’s where the fun–and the funny–came in. Those two gals pretty much had us in stitches all weekend. Of course, I also shared some pretty funny stories about their father and uncles that they hadn’t yet heard, which is always LOTS of fun. Nothing like getting back at your dopey brothers for all that childhood teasing!

Dad

Another good thing? My one niece taught me how to do GIFS on my cellphone and also on Twitter. I am now constantly texting Adele and Kim Kardashian GIFS to my husband. I think that’s VERY funny. Hubby, however, does not. Killjoy.

Here I am with  my truly stunning niece:

IMG_1102

We had four wonderful days of hanging out, telling stories, sharing the occasional heartache or worry, cherishing every moment we had with my dad, and basically eating and drinking non-stop, except for the occasional sleep breaks. All very good…except I did mention the too much chocolate, cake, champagne, sangria, cocktails….well, you get the picture. By Monday morning, we were all feeling pretty…bad.

In fact, this magazine I spotted in the supermarket seemed printed just for us:

IMG_1110

I swear I’m getting right on that–as soon as I can get off the couch!!

Do you have family events that are, perhaps, a bit too much fun? Do you ever regret them in the morning? Tell me all about it for a chance to win a copy of my latest VK Sykes contemporary romance, SEE YOU AT SUNSET.

Sykes_SeeYouAtSunset_#164FB

34 thoughts on “The good, the bad, and the funny!

1. Vanessa, I ate popcorn and jellybeans for dinner last night. I need that detox, too! Sounds like a lovely Easter!

1. Dinner of champions – I applaud you!!

I want some Sinatra at Easter next year. Very classy. I also need your nieces to show me how to do gifs on my phone and on Facebook. Gayle always has to help me.

1. Nieces are good at the tech stuff, Shana!

3. I think I’ve been living on chocolate for the past few days. And since I have a 4-15 deadline, that’s not going to change anytime soon!

4. Natasha Persaud says:

All of my family events are way too much fun and no I don’t ever regret them because we don’t get to spend a lot of time together so whenever we do its always a blast

1. That’s terrific, Natasha! My family’s kind of the same way.

5. Claire Matthews says:

My in-laws can party. After 20 years, I’ve yet to leave a family function without at least one regret, but it’s all worth it in the end, because we have so much fun. 😀

1. LOL! I love that, Claire.

6. Martha Lawson says:

Our family get togethers are always fun, and no I never leave with regrets!! We don’t get together nearly enough.

1. I never see my family enough either, Martha.

7. Vanessa, you have a beautiful family 🙂 and that chocolate egg looks so good! No “regerts” here LOL

8. Karina Angeles says:

Any holiday. My mother is an awesome cook and baker. For every holiday she cooks for an army and bakes at least 2 cakes, cookies and brownies. I always leave stuffed and with a bag of leftovers, and my mother wonders why I can’t lose weight…

1. Karina, I want to come visit your mom’s house!!

9. Kate Sparks says:

Sounds like you had a lovely time!!! Your dad is soooo handsome!!! We live a quiet life as we have no children… so when I’m around my sisters grands!! Wow!! The noise level is something!! But they are good kids… just loud boys!! Still working on that ‘inside’ voice thing!

1. Thanks, Kate. My dad looks amazing for 92!

10. Dawn A says:

I have a huge family, in less than three weeks there will be 70 of us, so anytime we all get together it’s pretty overwhelming. Weddings are the rowdiest that we get and whenever a new person joins the family we celebrate them in the loudest way possible. 🙂

1. Dawn, I come from a big Irish-Italian family, so I know exactly what you’re talking about.

11. LSUReader says:

Love the pics of your dad. After family Easter lunch, baskets and an egg hunt, Hubby and I participated in confetti egg “attacks” with our four young grandchildren! Still getting confetti out of those clothes, but no regrets. Thanks for a fun post.

1. Sounds like you had a great time!

12. Anne says:

Your family photos are wonderful. The celebration, cakes, and chocolate egg is enticing and special. When we get together it is rare but always fun. too much food but lots of enjoyment.

1. Anne, I hear you on the too much food, front!

13. ruth says:

What a gorgeous and attractive family. Your are fortunate to spend time together which is precious. Indulging is necessary since it is unforgettable.

1. Thank you so much, Ruth!

14. ellie says:

I envy you this memorable holiday as well as the beautiful people and the sweets and treats. Why not enjoy every minute?

1. Thank you for your kind words, Ellie!

not really

1. Good not to have regrets!

16. girlfromwva says:

we sometimes have family events that are a bit too much fun! but since we are all getting older, we don’t mind! 🙂

1. Gotta go with the gusto, right?!

17. Eileen A-W says:

Sounds likje a lovely Easter get together. My extended family does not live geographically close so we seldome have family get togethers, other than deaths or weddings at this point. I have started holding a family dinner once a month so the kids can all catch up with each other. My four kids either live with me or somewhat near me. That part is nice. Enjoy your time with your dad! Those memories will be precious in the future. We loss my almost 86 year old mom in October, so I know how important family is.

1. Eileen, please accept my condolences on the loss of your mom. *hugs*