Has nothing to do w/this blog, but I love Logan Echolls!

Not too long ago I did a blog post on the best romantic comedy movies. Recently I’ve been thinking about why these movies work so well and I think they, in addition to romance novels, work because they hit on tried and true elements that just work for us. These are called tropes or cliches or plot devices, whatever you call them, they’re used again and again because they work. I went through that list of of rom coms we put together and tried to identify the trope(s) that the movie uses, well, for some of them, this list was too long to do all of them. (If you want more info on tropes, then here’s a great blog about them).

• French Kiss – this is classic Bait & Switch, where she’s masquerading a relationship with him to get the attention of another man only to fall in love with the first man. Le sigh…
  • Working Girl – this is kind of a spin on the boss/secretary trope paired with mistaken identity paired with the different classes. He’s rich and successful and powerful and she’s an overworked and under appreciated secretary who ends up masquerading as her boss’s partner.
  • Six Days and Seven Nights – here we have forced proximity, I mean they’re literally deserted together on an island. There is also an age difference as well as well as opposites attract. And Harrison Ford, which always helps, but you know I don’t think there is a HF trope. :-) There should be though!
  • Notting Hill – simple boy from small London neighborhood meets uber famous American actress & they end up forced together.
  • 27 Dresses – Here we have mistaken identity paired with enemies to lovers. A good example that the enemies don’t have to hate each other so much they want the other person dead, they just have chemistry and don’t understand it.
  • The Cutting Edge - Who doesn’t love a good Taming of the Shrew story? We also have opposites attract and forced proximity, it all combines for a great movie.

So what do you think? Do you have certain types of stories (or tropes) that you will read/watch again and again? I know that I’m a total sucker for marriage of convenience/forced proximity as well as best friends to lovers.

12 thoughts on “Marriage of Convenience, Secret Baby and Bad Boys, oh my!

1. Kathleen Kathleen says:

What fun to analyze these movies in terms of theme! I’m partial to reunion stories, which, now that I think about it, are variations on the “enemies to lovers” theme, aren’t they? And of course the “mistaken identity” stories can be great fun. One of my favorite Georgette Heyer novels, “These Old Shades,” starts out as a straightforward MI story, with the heroine posing as a boy, but eventually plays with this trope in all kinds of fascinating ways!

2. Love marriage of convenience stories, Robyn. Also opposites attract – one of my favorite RomCons is Two Weeks Notice with Sandra Bullock and Hugh Grant. Rich developer meets crusading lawyer. It was a very funny movie.

One of my favorites is Sliding Doors. I like the idea of destiny and I also like seeing the heroine start over and come into her own.

4. KateS says:

Hey, I’m all for the Harrison Ford trope…

5. eap says:

I am a sucker for a MOC plot every time.

6. eap says:

or unrequited love

7. Debbie says:

I love marriage of convenience, pregnancy, on the run together, boss/assistant (that’s sort of me and my husband), Nanny, married but something tears them apart and they get back together before the divorce goes through, amnesia. Let’s face it, I’m just a sucker for a good romance no matter what! Lol!

8. Missy Terry says:

I am a sucker for the close proximity and enemies to lovers tropes. I enjoy it in books and movies. I also like MOC and friends to lovers.

9. JoannaM says:

Enemies to lovers or opposites attract. It’s great to see how two persons that think have nothing to do with each other have all the needs the other person needs or wants. 10 Things I Hate About You is one of my favorite movies, for obvious reasons (Taming of the Shrew :)) And I too vote for a Harrison Ford trope!!

10. Glenda says:

I really do like a variety of ‘em. I’d love a Harrison Ford trope… Maybe a Hugh Jackman one too. :-)

11. girlfromwva says:

I like friends to lovers and opposites attract.

12. Laurie G says:

I’ve actually seen 5/6 of your movies.

I do love marriage of convenience. I like the movie THE PROPOSAL with Sandra Bulloch.

I love Beauty & the Beast themed stories.

I like the stranded theme too. (car breaks down, bad weather etc.)

I like the movie PRETTY WOMAN. Cinderella theme