Years ago I began aseries titled Misadvantures in Matrimony. It was about four girls who formed a Spinster’s Club because they wanted adventures, not marriage. It was to be a 4-book series, and the third book was my favorite because it featured two of the girls and was based on the real-life story of an anvil priest in Gretna Green who mistakenly married the wrong couples to each other.

Here’s my Jaunty post about Blackthorne’s Bride, which ended up being nominated for a Rita award.

I always intended to write the fourth book, and I even began it, but I ended up changing publishers, and my new publisher wasn’t too keen on publishing the fourth book in a series they didn’t begin. So I put Nick and Ashley’s story away.

The Pirate Takes a Bride

Readers, however, did not forget. Blackthorne’s Bride came out in 2007, and not a month (okay, maybe there have been a few months) has gone by since then that I haven’t received a reader email or question via facebook or twitter as to when Nick and Ashley’s story was coming. So today I’m thrilled to announce that the 4th book is out!

The Pirate Takes a Bride is Nick and Ashley’s story, and it picks up right where Blackthorne’s Bride left off.  I can’t tell you how fun it was to finish this series–except the whole ship thing.

dog

I love pirates, but I wish they didn’t spend so much time on ships. I had to ask my trusty dad to help me with the research again, and you know that means hours of me listening to lectures about wind gage and French versus British naval warfare tactics.

Pirate Porcupine

And, of course, Jaunty won’t be happy with me because there’s no porcupine. I tried to sneak one in, but they didn’t live off the coast of Gibraltar, where much of this book takes place.

But the upside of all of this? Pirates! Pirates are pretty sexy, and I think Nick is one of the sexiest of all. He’s just such a bad boy. He and Ashley have a past, and we finally get to find out what he did to make her so angry. Not that she’s without secrets of her own.

Pick up a copy of the book if you feel like a fun, adventurous read. It’s only $2.99 in ebook. Do you love pirates? Why or why not? Comment below to win a copy of the book (digital or print–your choice)! Randomly chosen winner announced Sunday, May 18.

Read the first 3 chapters free on my website.

BUY THE eBOOK:
Amazon  |  Barnes & Noble  |  Google Play  |  iTunes  |  Kobo

BUY THE PAPERBACK:
Amazon

Ashley Brittany is living a nightmare. She’s been mistakenly married to the one man she despises. Months ago, Lord Nicholas took her virtue then scorned her. Now, Ashley will do anything to have her revenge . . . anything but expose her ugly secret.

Nick Martingale has a secret, too: he’s Captain Robin Hood, a pirate with a fearsome reputation. But when Nick learns his archenemy, the Barbary pirate Yussef, attacked innocents Nick has sworn to protect, he can think of nothing but vengeance.

Only one person stands in his way.

His wife.

75 thoughts on “Persistence Pays Off (In Pirates!)

1. Hooray for pirates! So happy this book is out, Shana! And I do love pirates, at least the ones with tortured pasts that forced them to lives of incredibly successful piracy, looting bad guys and rescuing damsels in distress. Captain Jack and Captain Blood are my all-time favorites. In real life? Not so much!!

My favorite line by Capt Jack: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. He is wise.

2. Rhett Butler. Remember him? Kind of a pirate. He set the bar so, so high… Listen, I was glad to read that there are no porcupines in this book, because this of course means that I remain Jaunty’s favorite. Though he does look quite the bad boy in that hat. Congratulations on the book, Shana! Can’t wait to read it.

I endeavored to use “prickly” in one of my upcoming books. It’s the closest I can get to porcupines in England. I wonder if Jaunty has any hedgehog relatives…

3. Susan G says:

As someone who might have asked you (several times) to write Pirate Takes A Bride– thank you.
    Just loved the book. Adventure, romance and Nick as a pirate….what more could you want?

Thank you, Sue! And thanks for pushing me to write it. I don’t know why I waited so long…oh, yeah. It’s that little person who doesn’t let me sleep much.

4. Eileen A-W says:

The first romance books I read were mainly pirate heros. I loved pirates. Today I read mostly contemporary romance, but still love to fit in a pirate story. Pirates Rules!!!

I was just talking with some other authors about how some of the first historicals we read and loved were pirates. Fun to give a nod to those great books.

5. erinf1 says:

I have to admit that my love of pirates was originally inspired by Captn Jack Sparrow :) Thanks for sharing and congrats on the long awaited new book :)

Capt Jack. Sigh. I have a few pictures of him on Pinterest.

6. Amy Lytle says:

I adore pirates! I think it is the mix of gentleman and rough

Oh, yes! A gentleman pirate is the sexiest type, Amy.

7. KateS says:

ARRRRHHH it’s a pirate’s life for me… since my younger days!! Will be so glad to read this one!!

8. eap says:

I rarely have read about pirates as heroes in romance. I don’t know why…

I think you need to change that, eap. :-)

9. Sue G. says:

I love pirates! I love Captain Jack (Johnny Depp!). I also loved Eloise James’ Seduced by a Pirate. Pirates always seem to add a little humor to a story!

I agree, Sue. Plus, swordfighting, cannons, storms at sea…!

10. Linda says:

Yes please! I love that their sense of adventure & devil may care attitude. The 1st pirate I ever came across however was Captain Hook whom I most certainly did not like. So I guess I should say they make the most dastardly villains too.

Linda, my daughter is afraid of Captain Hook. We met him at a Renaissance Fair once. She hid.

11. Lisa Hutson says:

Not sure I have a favorite pirate. But I do like reading pirate stories. I do like reading the ”she hid on the ship” stories. There are a million ways and reasons for it. And they usually make for a fun, sexy story. :-)

I like those too, Lisa. There’s not much anyone can do when you’re in the middle of the ocean.

12. Patty McKenna Van Hulle says:

Did you have an inspirational hero pic? I am so glad you finally wrote Ashley’s story! Your Misadvantures in Matrimony has been a great series.

13. Congratulations, Shana! The story sounds wonderful.

14. Laney4 says:

Ahhhh, pirates…. Men who know what they want and go for it. What’s not to like about that?

15. Linda Stults says:

I love a good Pirate story. Love the freedom and the adventures they take me on.

I do too, Linda. Those are some of my favorite heroes.

16. JoannaM says:

I do think they are fun!!…in books. The movie didn’t even do it for me. Not even Johnny. I cannot stand a smelly, sweaty, yellow-teeth-maybe-no-teeth-at-all, vicious, full-of-fleas man! Sorry if I’m ruining it for the rest of you ladies haha. I like my men well groomed. I’ll take the roguish, brave, intrepid hero that Pirates represent in books as long as they clean up first =D However, I do agree Jack had the right attitude. He was a smart one, that rogue, good looking man. OK, maybe Johnny did do it for me…

LOL, Joanna! You don’t have to love pirates. I try to ignore those bad aspects of shipboard life.

1. JoannaM says:

Ha! Oh, but I do love them! I’m just saying I rather have them in books, that’s all. As a matter of fact, I think some of my first historicals were about pirates. I liked the adventure ;) And I’m reading all of your as soon as I have a chance!!

I completely agree with you, Joanna. I wouldn’t want to live in the Regency era, but I do love to read about it.

17. Donna EHD says:

I love pirates — think maybe it goes back to Errol Flynn in the movies. And then the recent Pirates of the Caribbean with Johnny Depp.
    But I like book pirates, too. (Even pirates that aren’t technically pirates on a boat.) Adventure, high seas, romance, ….

Oh, I love Errol Flynn, Donna!

18. Denise Rand Huebner says:

I love pirates. There is just something about the way they live that has always drawn me to them.

They’re so free and independent, Denise. I think we like a guy who makes his own way in the world.

yes, they’re interesting to read about

20. Elise Rome says:

I am SO SO SO excited about this book. Have already purchased and put into my “Favorite Authors” and “Must Read Historical Romance” collections on my Kindle, and I’m just waiting now for a day where I can hunker down without kids and read it all in one sitting.

Also, you know… if you ever wanted to write a spin-off series, I won’t complain. ;) Congratulations on your new release!!

Thank you, Elise. I like the idea of a spin-off.

21. Quilt Lady says:

I have always loved reading pirate books. I am big into historicals and pirates make them so much better.

I love reading about pirates too. They are just so sexy!

22. Anna Gibson says:

I love pirates!! I’m obsessed with Hook from Once Upon a Time right now!! Sexy, Sexy, Sexy!!

Yes, Anna! I love him!

23. Rhonda Jones says:

I like reading about Pirates but have seen any in real life so not so keen on them. I think Iwas one of the ones who kept inquiries about this book. I am so thrilled to finally read it to findfind what happened to Nick and Ashley love it and am happy with the outcome
    The pirates I your book were good ones until their family was hurt. Now I think its timefor the Brittany brothers eespecially Devlin

I think you were one of the people wanting the book, Rhonda. Brittany brothers, check!

How can you not love pirates! Aren’t they the ultimate bad boy. And ummm Johnny Depp… lol.

I do not think I could have said it any better, catslady.

25. Connie Terpstra Dowell says:

Oh for the LOVE of a really hot pirate………….. Oh YEAH~! I want this in print! Thanks, Connie

I love the print editions. They’re so pretty!

26. Gretchen H says:

I get sea sick pretty easily, so I’ve never been partial to them; but they can be sexy!

Gretchen, you need a reformed pirate.

27. Florine says:

I finished the ebook…I would love to win a printed version. How hot was Nick?? WOW! That is a pirate! I went to the movies back in the day when Errol Flynn, Paul Henried, BurtLlancaster were hero-pirates and I’ve loved them ever since.

Thanks, Florine! I thought Nick was pretty hot :-)

28. sheryl says:

I love pirates!! I think it was Johnny Depp who made it sexy to be a pirate. I always watch when the Pirates of the Caribbean is on and of coarse it’s my favorite ride at Disney World.

Johnny Depp definitely made pirates sexy again. I loved that ride too!

29. Karin Anderson says:

I love them because they get to bypass inhibitions and do what they want. ;-)

They are definitely rule-breakers, Karin. That’s sexy.

30. Melody May says:

I have to say I do have a soft spot for fictional pirates. Real life pirates not so much. However, they do provide a swashbuckling good time.

Fictional pirates are awesome, especially the swashbuckling kind!

31. girlfromwva says:

Love a good pirate. They are charming, rouguish, deceptive, bold, self-reliant and sexy. Loved Johnny Depp in his pirate role.

Oooh! Great description. I especially like roguish!

32. Glenda says:

Love, Love, Love a sexy book or movie pirate! Book pirates and movie pirates can be all sorts of rule breaking/bending wonderful. Real life pirates break and bend rules too, but they probably aren’t as heroic or hygienic as the book and movie ones. :-D

Hygiene is another reason to prefer fictional pirates, Glenda :-)

33. Marcy Shuler says:

I love the romanticized version of pirates and have read my fair share of pirate books. It’s nice to see they’re staging a comeback. ;)

I agree, Marcy! More pirates :-)

34. Lesia Chambliss says:

Yes, I love Pirates! Maybe it’s because of the solitary adventuring life they lead. I’m kind of a solitary person, and I loved the truck driver life my husband led for awhile. I loved traveling with him. Not that truck drivers and pirates have that much in common…lol!

I can see the commonalities, Lesia. The travel, the time on your own. I think life at sea or in a truck would drive me nuts, but I do see the romantic appeal.

35. Xoun J. says:

I love pirate related stories! The heroes are dashing, and the places they visit are always enjoyable to read about. I especially like it when the storyline involves “accidental kidnaps”. When the Pirate captain finds a runnaway miss on his ship.

Xoun, those are such fun stories. I like those too. So many of you like them, maybe I should write one!

36. Michelle Fidler says:

I sort of like pirates and have seen all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. I like Captain Hook on Once Upon a Time. He’s getting to be a good guy.

He;s easy on the eyes, too, Michelle!