Simply the best

When College Girl was in high school, she made some great friends. Wonderful, smart, talented girls I was happy for her to call friends. What was even better was her friends had great moms who became my friends. When the girls graduated and went off to different colleges, the moms made a pact to keep in touch. That can be difficult as we’re all busy career women. Barb is a journalist; Debbie is a financial guru for an international company, and, of course, I’m always in “the cave” writing. Since we love reading, we decided each month we would read a book and then get together for dinner and discuss it. Whoever hosts the dinner gets to choose the next book. It’s been great fun. I’m so happy to maintain and nurture a friendship with these women.

Next time, it’s Barb’s turn to choose. She asked me what I would consider the best contemporary romance novel. It’s a question I should be able to answer. I could name several. In fact, many of the books on my best-loved list are written by my sister Jaunty Quills. But name just one? Wow. That’s difficult.

Still, I was so happy she wanted to read a contemporary romance. As you can imagine, that’s near and dear to my heart. I immediately thought of turning to you for help, dear readers. I told Barb I would pose the question to you and see what you said. Then I would compile a list and let her choose what sounded best to her.

So what say you? What is THE BEST contemporary romance novel? Or if that is too difficult to answer, which contemporary romance novels should be on the best contemporary romance novel list?

I will give away FIVE copies of my May release FALLING FOR FORTUNE, book five in the 2014 Fortunes of Texas series, to five people who make suggestions.

I can’t wait to hear what you have to say!

18 thoughts on “What is the Best Contemporary Romance Novel?

1. Susan G says:

Just finished Kieran Kramer’s contemporary novel Sweet Talk Me and loved it. Great characters and setting. Loved her writing style.
    There are so many authors to choose from I loved Nora Roberts The Search , Tribute and the Chesapeake Series. These books are on my keeper shelf. Claire Cook’s Must Love Dogs and Life’s A Beach are great summer reads. Barbara Delinsky’s Lake News is one of my favorite books and I have re read it several times.
    I will revisit HRIS post later and see the other suggestions! :)

2. Susan G says:

Here are a few suggestions to consider for your list!
    Just finished Kieran Kramer’s Sweet Talk Me. Loved it and have suggested it to all of my friends. Great characters, story and setting. Love Kieran’s voice.
    Nora Roberts has written so many great books. Tribute, The Search and the Chesapeake series are among my favorites. Claire Cook’s Must Love Dogs and Life’s A Beach are two of my favorite summer reads. Barbara Delinksy’s Coast Road and Lake News are on my list as well. Have re read Lake News several times.
    Will check back and see the posts to see the author authors suggested!

3. Kathleen Kathleen says:

What fun the book club sounds, Nancy! Not to sound like a homey, but surely our own Kristan Higgins ought to be at the top of any list like that?

4. Karen j says:

Oh gosh that is such a hard question to answer! :) Let’s see….I agree completely with Kathleen! Kristan Higgins has to be at the top of the list especially if you want something to make you smile! But then also, Susan Mallery, Jill Shalvis, Barbara Longley, and Robin Carr all have awesome series that I loved.

OMG. This is a really hard question. You know, I really liked Nora Roberts’s High Noon. Does that count as a contemp or is it rom suspense?

6. Hmmm…too hard, Nancy! I can give you a short list of my favorite contemporary romance authors, though: Kelly Hunter, Kristan Higgins, Jill Shalvis, and SEP. Okay, I could actually go on, but I’ll stop there!

7. LSUReader says:

I checked my personal list of “100 best” submissions for the last AAR poll, in 2013. Three of my top 25 were contemporary romances: Smooth Talking Stranger by Lisa Kleypas, About Last Night by Julie James and Bet Me by Jennifer Cruisie. That’s where I’d start my list of favorite contemporaries.

8. eap says:

Pure temptation by Vicki Lewis Thompson, Don’t Tell by Karen Rose, Fighting Love by Abby Niles

I must admit it’s not the genre I read the most but I like to mix it up and Jill Shalvis is on the top of my list.

10. Laurie G says:

DREAM MAN- LINDA HOWARD
    WHITE LIES-LINDA HOWARD

MARCELLI WINERY SERIES-SUSAN MALLERY

JILL SHALVIS- LOVE HER BOOKS-MESSING WITH MAX

SUSAN WIGGS- LAKESHORE CHRONICLES SERIES

DEBBIE MACOMBER-NOVEMBER OF HER HEART

CARLY PHILLIPS, ROXANNE ST CLAIRE, VICTORIA DAHL, RACHEL GIBSON,ELIZABETH LOWELL, SANDRA BROWN, HEATHER GRAHAM, NORA ROBERTS

11. Carrie Tillman says:

There are too many to name and I can’t pick just one. Kristan Higgins, Jill Shalvis, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Julie James, Susan Mallery, Lori Foster, etc. THIS HEART OF MINE by SEP was the first romance book that I ever read and got me hooked on the genre back when I was in high school.

any Abbi Glines

13. KatieJo says:

Kristan Higgins- Just One of the Guys!!!

14. Thank you, Nancy. Here’s my response: this question is unanswerable. By me, anyhow. I can give you (or anyone) my opinions in this matter. But that’s all they are, opinions. They apply to only reader, me.

I respect other people’s right to their own opinions. Therefore I won’t try to impose my opinions on them by claiming to know what’s the best contemporary romance. Or the best anything.

I know this isn’t the kind of answer you asked for. But it’s the only one I have.

Good luck with the release of “Falling for Fortune”!

15. Rochelle says:

Oh Nancy, that’s a very tough question. There are so many wonderful stories to be read, written by so many of you wonderful authors. If you want to go semi old school, maybe read Lady Be Good or for that matter anything by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. For a he said/she said fun story, there is Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer. For sheer hilarity, read Sophie Kinsella’s I’ve Got a Secret. Kristin’s Too Good to Be True is also a favorite of mine. Barbara O’Neal/Samuel writes very poignant stories. Speaking of which, has your friend read any of your lovely books???

16. Great suggestions, everyone. Thank you!

17. Emily B. says:

There are just to many out there, so it is impossible to pick just one but some of my favorites are

Catch of the Day by Kristan Higgins
    It Had to be You by Jill Shalvis
    Maid for Love by Marie Force
    Be Mine Forever by Marina Adair
    Sweetest Mistake by Candis Terry

Congratulations on Falling for Fortune, I read your book Celebrations Family and loved it!!

18. Marcy Shuler says:

How difficult! I love these contemporary authors:

Kristan Higgins