Kathleen O'Brien
Kathleen O'Brien

Facebook, family, favorite things, Kathleen O'Brien, Pets, Superromance

purrsia wants to snuggle

Remember when I asked you whether I should get a cat? Most of you said yes, and guess what? You were right! ☺

Purrsia helps me critique

I didn’t think I was ready, but apparently all I needed to overcome my anxiety was one snuggle with the perfect kitten. His Highness drove me to a little town called Christmas (yes, really)—about an hour away—to look at a female Himalayan kitten I’d fallen for on the Internet.

Purrsia notices Ewan...

She wasn’t old enough to come home with us that night. I thought that might help. You know how sometimes a person can struggle a teeny, tiny bit with impulse control? Well, I struggle with it a lot. I thought maybe if I couldn’t take her home right then and there, I’d have time for my sensible side to take over.

Purrsia sleeps on back

Wrong.

His Highness and I had even created a “safe” phrase, the sentence that was supposed to tell him I didn’t want to put a deposit on her, and I wanted to go home uncommitted. At one point, when I was in Sensible Kathleen mode, I even uttered the safe words.

But then, after giving him the signal to leave, I somehow just…didn’t leave. I kept playing with the kittens. I kept talking to the owners (who probably thought I was crazy and wanted desperately to get back to watching TV).

Purrsia on the desk

All the while, I kept battering at Sensible Kathleen until she finally shut up. And then I took out our checkbook. Four days later, after the vet pronounced her perfect (something I already knew), we drove back to Christmas, and we brought her home.

Purrsia in the sink

Ever since, I’ve been in heaven. She’s ridiculous and playful and cuddly and smart. Oh, and she’s adorable. Did I really think, once upon a time, that I could live without a cat? I was utterly, raving delusional.

If you’re my Facebook friend—and if you aren’t, please stop by and send a request!—you’ve probably seen enough of Purrsia Lucy Pun (yes, really…it’s a long story) for one lifetime. But, for me, there’s no such thing as “enough” Purrsia. Honestly, I don’t think I was this annoying even when my children were babies.

Kitty snack

How about you? Do you take pictures of your pets? Do you drive other people crazy, making them listen to stories of their adorable antics?

38 thoughts on “Falling in Love…of course

1. Anita H. says:

aww, she’s absolutely adorable! I don’t play you for overriding Sensible Kathleen! You made the right choice :)

1. Thanks, Anita! I have to admit, Sensible Kathleen is frequently overmatched. ;-)

2. Barbara Holmes says:

Aw, that is great. I am glad you got a new kitten :-) Life with no cat is no life at all.

1. Barbara, I couldn’t agree more! I know lots of people who sincerely disagree, but if you’re a cat person you are incomplete without one, aren’t you?

3. Congratulations on your new human, Pursia! You’re so lucky to have such a doting mommy. Hope you two will have many happy years together. From Spartacus, Archimedes, and Farrah Landers, sent through their human Mary Anne.

1. Thank you, Mary Anne! I know you really, truly understand! Your wonderful fur-babies (with their equally wonderful names) obviously own your heart, too!

4. Gayle Cochrane says:

So,happy for your Kathleen, what a fuzzy-wuzzy bundle of cuteness.

1. Thanks, Gayle! She really is cute. I guess all kittens are, but like any new mommy I’m partial. I think she’s the cutest, smartest…every EST there is! :)

5. Kathleen, I’m so happy that you’re happy with your little love! I will never get enough Purrsia. That’s not going to happen. So please keep the Purrsia pics coming. She’s adorable and obviously very much in love with you, too. I feel the same way about my corgi, Samantha. I love that dog so much it’s ridiculous. The first year my daughter was away at school I sent her a picture of the dog everyday. That’s tapered off a bit. Now, I mostly snap pics for myself when I find her particularly irresistible. It’s so easy to do with a smart phone.

1. Samantha is absolutely darling, Nancy, and I can see why you find her irresistible! I bet College Girl misses her terribly. And you have some pretty adorable cats, too. The perfect household!

Kittens are so cute (and exasperating!). Mine are finally both 2 and settling down a bit. I love them but all that running around at night was driving me nuts. I do take lots of pictures of them. They’re naturals–as your pictures prove.

1. Oh, my goodness, Shana–you had two baby kittens at once? I can only imagine the mayhem! :) Congratulations on surviving it! I’ll bet they’re best buddies, though, so for their sakes it was probably worth the effort!

7. Oh. My. God. Teh CUTE! I’m having an overload! More please! And LOLOL on the kitten safe word!

1. Jesse, I’m lol-ing because you’re overloading and calling for more at the same time. A woman after my own heart! ;-) Truly, I’m getting such a kick out of this kitten phase–baby animals are so uninhibited and fearless. And, in Purrsia’s case, ridiculous. She stands on her hind legs with her front paws high in the air (like a grizzly) to terrify our dog, Lily, then tries to leap on Lily’s back. Lily, only a Bichon, weighs ten times what Purrsia weighs and is so sweetly tolerant. It’s an absolute blast to watch.

8. Kathryn in Montreal says:

There could be no resistance to this kitten… she is adorable! All of mine are rescues, but I have always loved the Himalayan breed and want to have one. What a sweet little girl… you both are so lucky you didn’t listen to Sensible Kathleen!

1. Kathryn, you are so great to take in the rescues–my children both have cats they rescued and have been rewarded with boundless love and fun. I really needed a Himalayan this time, though, because we’d just lost our eighteen-year-old Himalayan, who was my soulmate. If you ever get one, I think you will adore the breed. They are as sweet as they are beautiful.

Oh, so glad you got her – she is adorable!!! I wait for people to ask me first because I can talk your head off about my cats lol. If their eyes start glazing over I shut up roflmao. Mine too are all rescues – ferals/strays but I see many breeds that seem spectacular.

1. Kathleen Kathleen says:

Catslady, how did I know you were a cat-lover? ;-) It is hard to remember that other people may not find her every sneeze, blink and meow as fascinating as I do. I’m trying, though!

10. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

I do just the opposite. I never take enough pictures of my kids or my pets. Guess I’m trying to live “in the moment,” but then when they’re gone (as my beloved little Harry the Dachshund is now) or grown (as my kids are) I wish I’d taken more photos.

1. Kathleen Kathleen says:

Mia, I know exactly what you mean! I’ve always been a little that way, thinking it made no sense to sacrifice the experience for the memory. I’ve changed my thinking a bit, though, ever since our family took a trip to Ireland. My daughter was filming *all* the time, and I kept thinking, “Oh, just put that down and enjoy yourself!” But then, when she compiled the video into an absolutely adorable record of our trip, catching everyone being their silliest, capturing our awed reactions to the beauty, and recording those fleeting smiles, hugs, games, dinners, magic all around…

I saw how priceless the memory really was. So now I’m just ambivalent.

11. I love that you found your new furbaby in a town called Christmas! I’m a big believer in taking pictures of cats and dogs and posting them EVERYWHERE. I feel like it’s my contribution to world peace. Enjoy the new girl, Kathleen!

1. Kathleen Kathleen says:

Vanessa, you know you’ve just given me the excuse I’ve been looking for, right? ;-) I’m not being self-indulgent and mushy…I’m advancing world peace!!! Yay for activists like us!

12. I have been loving your kitten pictures on FB, Kathleen! Keep them coming! We lost our beautiful Penny this fall and the house feels so flat without a pet. We’re holding off on adding to the family because of travel plans, but really, being logical is just no fun. (And who would have children, if all you considered was the inconvenience???)

1. Kathleen Kathleen says:

CJ, I’m so sorry about Penny. It’s devastating, I know. I get the “logic” argument, I really do. It’s such a struggle, balancing the need to be sensible with the need to let loose and take chances. But your travels are such exciting adventures–they actually might be worth the trade-off, at least for a while! And they provide pretty wonderful pictures, too, right? ;-)

13. Marcy Shuler says:

How adorable! I knew you needed a kitty. ;)

1. Kathleen Kathleen says:

Oh, yeah, Marcy…I guess everyone knew, except me. Denial is a powerful force, right? But I’m so glad I listened to wiser advice!

14. Carrie Tillman says:

Congratulations on your new kitty! So so adorable. I take pictures of my cat all the time. He glares when I get my phone out to take a picture, but then poses and looks even more ridiculously cute.

1. Kathleen Kathleen says:

Carrie, that’s too funny! He has to pretend he doesn’t want the fame and adoration, but he really does. :) Don’t you just love when you snap a photo at the perfect moment, and capture their adorable, ridiculous personalities?

15. She’s so, so sosososo cute, Kathleen! Congratulations!

1. Kathleen Kathleen says:

Thanks, Kristan! She’s truly a doll!

16. Connie Saunders says:

Congratulations on finding your new love. Nothing like a kitten or puppy, other than a cuddly baby!! Enjoy!

1. Kathleen Kathleen says:

You’re so right, Connie! And I do feel that I found the perfect kitten for me. Or else, like any new mommy, I see her as perfect no matter what! ;-)

17. Susan G says:

Kathleen- congrats on your new baby. Love the photos.
    I think she likes having her picture taken! :)

1. Kathleen Kathleen says:

Thanks, Susan! I think you may be right…she does seem to think it’s cool that I focus on her all the time!

18. Glenda says:

Kathleen congrats on your new baby!! She is adorable!! But you don’t need me to tell you that. :-)

I am guilty of having way more critter than kid pictures on my phone. I’ve got 2 almost 4 year old cats who we bottle fed from the time they were about 2 days old…. so yeah tons of pictures. IF I’d had a cell phone like the past 2, I’d have tons of human baby/toddler/kid pictures as well. My kids – especially my son – aren’t overly fond of having their pics taken, so as they go older I have far fewer.

1. Kathleen Kathleen says:

Glenda, I can only imagine how amazing the two-day-old kittens were, and how compelled you must have felt to document their little lives. How wonderful for them that you were able to rescue them! I’m the same way about the kids vs. pets pix. My kids are sweet and tolerant, but they have a limit–whereas the kitty seems to be unfazed by the constant camera!

19. Jan Jackson says:

I’m so happy for you, and your new baby is precious.

1. Kathleen Kathleen says:

Thanks, Jan! It’s a wonderful phase, and I’m enjoying every second of it!