Mia Marlowe
Mia Marlowe

Mia Marlowe

Tags:
, , , ,

LindaToday is my sister Linda’s birthday. I have 3 of them and this is my second sister. She’s six years my junior so there was just enough difference in our ages as we grew up to make me feel very protective of her. When she was afraid during thunderstorms, she used to come crawl into bed with me while the boomers rolled over the house. Linda is also famous for being the Jiminy Cricket of our little band. I wish I had a nickle for every time she fisted her hands at her waist and warned, “I’m telling Mom on you girls.”

That’s the wonderful thing about sisters. They know where the bodies are buried. If anyone is likely to be the keepers of our secrets it’s our sisters. That’s why I like to give my heroines a sister or two.

Pinot The GatheringMy Touch of a Thief was inspired by a Pinot painting called the Gathering. As soon as I saw this group of women, I knew I’d found my heroine Viola. I love the way she’s looking defiantly out from the canvas. I decided immediately that the older seated lady was her mother, the one to the right was her slightly deranged sister, the little red haired girl her fatherless niece. and the woman slipping out the door was the only servant they could afford. My heroine is their sole support–through lifting the ton’s jewelry and fencing the pieces for as much as she dares.

And her sister never threatened to tell their mom.

In my RITA nominated Plaid Tidings, the heroine Lucinda has 3 sisters. One of the MacOwen sisters is going to have to wed the Laird of Bonniebroch and since the oldest sister Maggie ran off with her lover, Lucinda is is next in line to be wed. We first meet the MacOwen sisters on the quay waiting for Lord Bonniebroch’s ship to arrive. The only problem is they have no idea what he looks like.

Plaid Tidings“Which one do you suppose is him?” Lucinda didn’t need to explain who she meant by him. Her intended was foremost in all their minds since her pending marriage affected the entire family.

“‘Tis no’ likely he’s a handsome braw lad, worse luck for ye, Lu. The best ye may hope is that he’s still got his hair.” Aileen crossed her eyes and stuck out her tongue. “And maybe his teeth.”

“I dinna think that matters.” Though Mary was the youngest MacOwen sister, she was also the most frightfully practical. “Even if he has a hump like Old Man MacClintock, Lucy will still have to marry him.”

Sisters are so supportive, aren’t they?

Actually, mine are. Especially Linda. She used to take my girls for a week each summer so my DH and I could have a week of couple time. And whenever she and I are together, we click like magnets and form a tight little circle of two. She’s more than my sister. She’s my dear friend.

And because of that, I won’t tell how old she is today. See. Sisters are supportive!

_________________________

Do you have a sister? How about a friend who’s as close as one? Have you read a book lately with  a sister in it that made the story more fun?

18 thoughts on “Sisterhood

1. Happy birthday, Linda! I have a sister, too, Mia, and she’s the best!

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

They’re our “forever friends.”

I also have a sister and like to write about sisters. Mine is my BFF. I’m so lucky to live close to her.

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

Unfortunately, I don’t live close to any of my sisters, but we do keep in touch. ;-)

3. Kathleen Kathleen says:

You’re so right about sisters, Mia! They are wonderful…especially if they know how to keep the secrets about where those bodies actually are. ;-) I have an older sister, and there’s nothing quite like it.

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

I’m the oldest of 4 girls, but I try to keep the bossiness to a minimum.

4. KateS says:

I’ll tell ya… we younger sisters do know where the bodies are hidden… and we can keep secrets…. like the time the older ones took me along when they bought beer telling me it was legal to drink in that state….

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

That’s a good little “get out of jail free” card for some time when you need it, Kate!

5. Happy birthday to your sister, Mia. I have a sister named Linda as well. :) She’s the baby in our family. My sisters and are very close. There are 18 months between each of us.

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

My sisters and I are spaced out a bit. One is 23 months younger than me. Then Linda came along at 6 years younger. Finally, the PS baby of the family is 19 years my junior. I was in college when my baby sister was born. My folks had the dubious honor of having both the oldest and youngest grandchild on both sides of the family.

6. Congratulations, again, on your Rita nod! And happy birthday, Linda! I don’t have a sister, Mia. I have three wonderful brothers. However, I am fortunate to have some best friends who are like sisters.

7. Rochelle says:

I am the middle child with 2 brothers and always wished for a sister when I was growing up with said pesky brothers. Today I am very close to my brothers and love them dearly. I did get my wish though – as we neared adulthood, one of my cousins and I became BFFs and she is the sister of my heart.

8. Quilt Lady says:

I have two sisters and that is about all that is left of our family. We had a brother but he passed away of a heart attack. I have one sister that is five years older then me, then it was my brother, then me. My younger sister is ten years younger then me, she came along late in our life. She was also spoiled rotten. I think my sisters are my best friend and we get along great now but didn’t when we were younger. We are pretty close now, its amazing what happens in time as we get older.

9. Lisa Hutson says:

I have two younger sisters. Blessed I am.

10. Kathleen O says:

I don’t have any sisters.. Four brothers, the youngest one shares your sisters birthday today..

11. Mia, I have a big sister I’m very close to – my first book, in fact, was about a big sister saving her sister from an evil uncle!

12. ki pha says:

Awwww. As for me I have four sisters! One older and two younger. We all get along just fine. More like we like to make fun and torture each other. But all’s in great fun and fun. But yes we do get angry and annoyed with each other too but we get over it.

13. JoannaM says:

Congrats to your sister!! And what better book about sisterly love than the one and only Sense and Sensibility, or Pride and Prejudice. I have 2 sisters, but they are more like my children as I’m the oldest of the 3, but they are my dearest children =D