Katherine Garbera
Katherine Garbera

Bring a Friend Friday, family, Jaunty Guests

It’s ten years ago this week that my life changed…forever.

Jane&Ty-beachFW40I’d just turned forty and was going through a divorce and struggling with writing and meeting my close deadlines for Harlequin Presents when my heart and life felt completely broken.  Facing the first Easter without my two little boys, I jumped on a plane and headed to Hawaii to write at a beach front resort where I wouldn’t have to think about anything but my book and getting through the holidays in one piece.

I was down at the pool working in the shade under an umbrella, when this surf instructor walked a little girl back from a meeting.  Someone shouted his name, thanking him, and it caught my attention since my then five year old was also named ‘Ty’.

flirtingwithforty_1200_presskitTy, the surf instructor, and I chatted for a few minutes, and after he walked away, I thought–’now theres a story.’  I didn’t even know what the story was, just that this sexy surfer represented a world I knew nothing about, but a world women would love.  I booked a lesson with him for the next day, and spent the two hours interviewing him by the pool because I wanted to hear his story.”

I left Waikiki with a ten page synopsis which I sent to my agent, and she took it to my new editor at Warner Books and they bought the story, slated for publication in mid 2006, since I had my first single title, The Frog Prince, releasing in 2005.

During the next year, Ty and I dated long distance, and I knew he and I would never be able to go ‘the distance’.  How could we?  We were so different.  I lived in Seattle and was 40 and an ambitious, career focused woman and he was 9 years younger and had never even dated a ‘chick with kids’ before me.  How would we ever work?

Friends didn’t think I should get too invested in him.  They knew my heart was already banged up but I loved his world in Hawaii and the freedom and opportunity to be yourself.  I loved escaping from suburban mom world, and it helped me grow as a woman and a writer.  I knew when Ty and I ended it would hurt, but I had to take the risks.  I had to find out how and when the journey ended.

It’s been ten years, and we’re married and we have a little boy who turns 5 in a couple weeks.   A couple years ago I was able to move from Seattle with my older children and Ty and I have bought a historic property in San Clemente, California, where Ty will set up a second outpost of his Waikiki surf school.

I sometimes think that if he hadn’t been a surfer, and I hadn’t been a writer, we couldn’t have made it work.  But we’re both about creating a moment–having a passion–and it makes us respect the other.  As a surfer, he knows how to read the water and the waves and he’s patient when he needs to be, and he can charge it when the wave is there.  As a writer I know how to focus on the end goal, and be flexible with the middle bits, turning pieces and tweaking and massaging story elements to make something work.

Ty and I have our bumps.  He is a laid-back surfer and I can be an intense writer but he believes in me in a way that no other man ever has.  He’s the first person to tell me to ‘go for it’, and he’s absolutely confident that I can succeed at anything I want to try.  I love having a man on my team that is really on my team, and so as I continue to write for Harlequin Presents and trade books for Penguin, I also write stories for Tule Publishing, a small, indie publishing venture that is all about the author.  The romance industry is filled with smart, creative women and they are the real talent in the publishing industry.  I believe authors should feel validated and be respected and its my mission and passion to encourage and support them…and all smart, creative women.

Pageflex Persona [document: PRS0000032_00050]

Bestselling author of 45 romances and women’s fiction titles, Jane Porter has over 12 million copies in print and has been a finalist for the prestigious RITA award five times, most recently for her novella, Take Me, Cowboy (Tule Publishing). Her next release, Beauty’s Kiss will be available in April 2014.  Jane makes her home in sunny San Clemente, CA with her surfer husband.  Learn more about Jane at janeporter.com.

Opposites attract is a powerful romance trope, what’s your favorite?

One lucky commenter on the blog will win a $15 Amazon gift card and some other fun goodies!

88 thoughts on “Please Welcome…Jane Porter

1. Jen Mylott says:

Hi Jane!! I can’t believe it’s been 10 years! Time really does fly. I’m so thrilled that you met Ty! For 2 reasons actually. First because he makes you so happy. But secondly, because I think your relationship with Ty has made you an even better writer. Your novels, novellas, books and short stories are all phenomenal and you are just so generous to your fans! Can’t wait to read the next book!

1. Jane Porter says:

Jen, thank you! I do think meeting Ty broke all those boxes in my head…opened my world and my point of view.

2. Lynn Buddenbohm says:

Flirting with Forty is the first book of yours that I read. Loved the book and even more so now that I know the back story. Wishing you and Ty many more years together.

3. Glenda says:

What a sweet story Jane! Congrats on 10 years with your younger surfer dude!

In answer to your question, I really don’t have a favorite trope. I like variety in my books.

4. Michelle French says:

I’ve been a huge Jane Porter fan for years. It was nice to finally read the full story behind Ty and Jane. My favorite book will always be Flirting with Forty. The story touched my heart like no other. I always look forward to the next Jane Porter book. I always buy them in hard/soft back as she has a shelf in my library. :) I’m only missing the ever elusive Frog Prince in print (sorry, the ebook doesn’t count). Thanks for the powerful, uplifting books, Jane. You’ll always be a favorite!!

1. Jane Porter says:

Michelle, Amazon is selling print copies of The Frog Prince now. It’s got the new cover, but its the original story!

5. Jessica M says:

Flirting with Forty is definitely the best book ever! I love it so much!

6. Lesia Ubben says:

I am so happy that you found someone. I didn’t find my husband until I was 32 and divorced for 12 years. He loves and supports me too!

7. Sandie W says:

Jane, you are a fabulous writer and I love reading your books. It makes it even more special after reading your and Ty’s story! Congratulations on 10 years, and wishing you many more!!!

8. Jill says:

Jane Porter- Amazing! I read Flirting With Forty as I was approaching 40. This story gave me confidence to follow my heart. My favorite book of all books. Thank you Jane!

9. Lori P says:

Thank you for sharing your personal love story :)

10. Mary says:

Jane – Congratulations on 10 years with your man.
    It is a blessing to find someone who gets you
    And encourage you to be your best.

11. Arlene says:

Congratulations, Jane. Your story of meeting and loving Type is inspiring.

12. Eileen A-W says:

What a wonderful story!!! Thank you for sharing this with us. Not everyone has a storybook, or romance book, love affair or marriage but I am so happy you were able to as my marriage is very special too. As my mother has always said, age is number & you are only as old as feel. Enjoy life.

the alpha hero

Great to have you here, Jane! I do love the opposites attract trope. I also like fish out of water. That’s probably my favorite. Now I must go read Flirting with Forty again :-)

15. Jacki says:

Jane’s book sounds fun and inviting!

16. Holly says:

Jane, I wish you continued happiness for years to come. Flirting with Forty was your first book I had ever read, after reading an excerpt in a magazine. Loved it, bought The Frog Prince, and from then on, bought every new chick-lit book you wrote. Thanks for sharing your talent with us. :)

17. Kathy P says:

Great love story! Thanks for sharing!

18. Cindy C. says:

Happy ten years! May you share many, many more together. Great story, it made me happy. I need to read Flirting With Forty again now.

19. Kaira Rouda says:

Jane!
    Congrats on going for your dreams, in love and in your career. You are an inspiration to all of us!

That is such a fantastic story!!! It just goes to show how one never knows what the next day will bring. My husband and I are total opposites. We’ve been married 45 years but it definitely has not been easy but it’s also not been boring lol.

21. Morgan says:

Loved that you give us the details here, Jane! Love the kind of stories that stem from real life experiences. And I love that, even knowing it was impossible, you made it work! What a fun way for future generations to know how they came to be. Congrats!

22. Ann Mettert says:

Congratulations.
    I like all kinds of themes. :)

23. Tammy says:

Congratulations Miss Jane on finding your own Prince. Have read so many of your books and seen Flirting With 40 movie so many times, it is a classic. Eagerly awaiting the next installment. Best wishes for Tule, know it will be a grand success.

24. Marcy Shuler says:

Hi Jane. While I knew a bit about you because of FB and your blog, I didn’t know your (and Ty’s) ‘how we met’ story. So sweet.

I love wounded warrior, best friend’s brother and beauty and the beast tropes the best.

25. Vicki P says:

Opposites attract always draws me into a story!

26. Jayme says:

What a beautiful love story. I’m happy for you and your surfer Ty!!

27. jamaika says:

Loved hearing about how you and your husband met. It sounds like a romance story on its own. Love can turn up unexpectedly in one’s life and for it to work, one has to be really invested and work for it. I may not have found the one for me yet but I still believe in it happening.

28. Joanna M says:

Wow, congratulations on making it work! Yours is truly a love story with a happy ending. So cheers to you both!
    Are you opposites as well? I haven’t read your Flirting with Forty but I’m very intrigued now. And I have to say that that is one of my favorite tropes.

29. Tonya Allen says:

Congrats on finding your soul mate I really loved Flirting With Forty
    I think it was my very first read & wanted more,didn’t want that story to end,lol,Keep up that writing & will try to find time to read more,Love ya, T.

30. Maureen says:

Jane’s story is a great one. I enjoy reading about opposites attract too and also enemies to lovers and wounded heroes and heroines.

31. Kathy Gleich says:

Jane is one of my favorite wtiters. I give FWF as a birthday present to my gal friends when they hit 40! I love coming of age stories, too.

32. Diane says:

Your story is an inspiration for all of us. Congratulations and best wishes on many more years of happiness.

33. CrystalGB says:

Hi Jane. It is so awesome how you and Ty met and fell in love. So inspiring.

34. denise says:

loved the story…I’m a sucker for the enemies to lovers tropes

35. Michelle Fidler says:

Great that it worked out. I would never expect to date someone that I met on vacation because of the long-distance thing. Is trope a word? I don’t really have a favorite romance theme but marriage of convenience is good (at least for Regencies).