family-train-station

great scene in While You Were Sleeping

Recently on my Facebook page I asked what was everyone’s favorite romantic comedy (movie). I got a great response and in the process have compiled a great list.

The top recommended movie was While You Were Sleeping – I would certainly consider this one of the greats.

Second up was You’ve Got Mail. I know that some people have issue with this movie, but I am one of the fans. I love all of it, it’s romantic and charming and funny and sweet and I can watch it any time I stumble upon it on TV even though I own a copy.

gs_ryan_gosling_crazy_stupid_love_7_1

You’re welcome…

The rest of this list were generally mentioned by more than one person, but not as many at these first two. So in no particular order, I give you a list of great romantic comedies as compiled by romance readers/writers.

• Love Actually
  • French Kiss
  • Working Girl
  • Better off Dead

• Serendipity
  • When Harry Met Sally
  • Just Like Heaven
  • The Princess Bride
  • Six Days and Seven Nights
  • Notting Hill

The Holiday
  • Crazy, Stupid Love

• As Good as It Gets (this always reminds me of Because I Said So probably b/c of Diane Keaton – love both of them)
  • 27 Dresses
  • The Cutting Edge (Toe-pick!)

So what are your thoughts? Do you have any you would add to the list? What’s your favorite? I’ll pick three random winners to give a copy of my latest release, NO ORDINARY MISTRESS.

34 thoughts on “Top Romantic Comedies

1. ki pha says:

I thought ‘When Harry Met Sally’ would have been hugely popular or at least second place but I guess. Harry and Sally would have been my pick along with ‘How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days’.

2. Thank you, Robyn. I’m a big fan of pre-contemporary Hollywood. My favorite romantic comedies include “It Happened One Night”, “Bringing Up Baby”, and “The Philadelphia Story”. These were made long before our time, but I don’t think they’re dated. Real comedy never is.

3. Only You with Robert Downey Jr. (my boyfriend) and Marisa Tomei. Definitely While You Were Sleeping, too. Love Actually. Bridget Jones’s Diary. Love them all!

Those are great suggestions! I second The Princess Bride. I also liked Sliding Doors with Gwyneth Paltrow.

5. LSUReader says:

Good list. I’d add Sleepless in Seattle, the three suggested by Mary Anne Landers, and another oldie–My Man Godfrey.

6. alisha woods says:

only 4 of those for me. I liked Never Been Kissed with Drew Barrymore, Music and Lyrics

1. Robyn DeHart Robyn DeHart says:

I love Never Been Kissed! How was that not mentioned before? Thanks.

7. Cindy VonHentschel says:

Leap Year with Amy Adams is a good one. But I do love Bridget Jones Diary, and Love, Actually.

8. Fab picks, Robyn! I loved You’ve Got Mail, and I’m also a big fan of the Sandra Bullock/Hugh Grant match-ups. Two Weeks Notice cracks me up every time I see it.

9. Maria Proctor says:

Great ones on your list, & I love Alisha’s, Never Been Kissed, which would be one of my top 5 along with While You Were Sleeping & When Harry Met Sally. Doc Hollywood would be one of my favorites, too.

I have to go with Princess Bride as my favorite – has a little bit of everything and everyone!

11. Priscilla Waller says:

His Girl Friday, I Was a Male War Bride. To Catch a Thief. Go Cary Grant you can tell I’m an old lady :)

12. Marie Campbell says:

Somethings Gotta Give
    My Man Godfrey
    Bridget Jones’ Diary
    Something New
    Two Weeks Notice
    About a Boy is a romance of two kinds

I just adore Courting Claudia–one of my favorite books of all time!!!!!!!

1. Robyn DeHart Robyn DeHart says:

Aww, thanks, Marie. That’s so sweet of you to say. I love to be on an all-time favorite list.

13. Elaine says:

Fools Rush In … Maid In Manhattan … Somethings Got To Give .. and of course You’ve Got Mail were all favorites

1. Robyn DeHart Robyn DeHart says:

Elaine, yes on Fools Rush In. I love Matthew Perry & could watch that movie again and again. Great addition to the list.

14. Great list, Robyn! Some of my favorites from the list are French Kiss; While You Were Sleeping; Love Actually; and Serendipity. One that wasn’t on the list that isn’t always a fan favorite, but I love it and can watch it again and again, is The Lake House with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. There’s something about that movie that draws me in…in addition to Keanu Reeves. So, if RDJ is Kristan’s BF, then Keanu’s mine. ;)

1. Robyn DeHart Robyn DeHart says:

Hmmm….I’ve never seen The Lake House. Perhaps I should fix that soon. Thanks, Nancy.

2. Rochelle says:

The Lake House is so beautifully romantic. It gets me every time.

15. Quilt Lady says:

All of these are great one but the one at the top of my list is The Holiday and I have to watch it every year.

16. Martha Eddy says:

I love Kate and Leopold.

17. eap says:

The More the Merrier
    Sunday in New York

like confessions of a shopaholic

19. CrystalGB says:

How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days is a favorite of mine.

20. Michelle Fidler says:

Some romantic comedies I enjoyed are Confessions of a Shopaholic, When in Rome, and 13 Going on 30. I also liked Kate and Leopold and Maid in Manhattan. I don’t watch that type of movie much.

21. Rochelle says:

So many fine ones mentioned. Love them all. I’d also throw in The Reluctant Debutante with the dashing Rex Harrison, Kaye Kendall and Sandra Dee. So, so funny!

22. Laurie G says:

i love romance comedies!
    From your list I do like:

Crazy Stupid Love It made me laugh a lot!
    French Kiss
    Working Girl
    As Good As It Gets

I also like:

The Proposal
    Heaven Can Wait
    10 Things I Hate About You
    Pretty Woman
    It’s Complicated
    My Life In Ruins
    Miss Congeniality
    Playing For Keeps

Favorite would be Pretty Woman.

23. Marcy Shuler says:

I love from your list:
    While You Were Sleeping
    Notting Hill
    The Holiday
    27 Dresses

I’d also add:
    How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
    The Family Stone
    Father Goose – an oldie but goodie.
    Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

24. Joanna Moreno says:

You guys have mentioned a few that I love but my top picks would be
    Love, Actually (mainly because of the actors)
    Bridget Jones, both of them
    10 Things I hate about You
    While You Were Sleeping
    And Sense and Sensibility, Emma Thompson’s version is a comedy of sorts for me so I’m going to add it to my list ;)

25. Brenda Hall says:

My favorite romantic comedy is ‘Sleepless in Seattle’ if you consider it a comedy. I also like Bridget Jones and Holiday.

26. Glenda says:

When Harry Met Sally wins for my number 1 romantic comedy. I’m surprised it didn’t rank higher. Oh well.

27. Janie McGaugh says:

While You Were Sleeping is my favorite, with Notting Hill in second place.

28. Judy Goodnight says:

I have to add Return to Me (David Duchovny & Minnie Driver) and Only You (Robert Downey Jr. and Marisa Tomei).

29. Joanna Moreno says:

I was watching Tangled last night, by myself, no kids, and I realized it’s a romantic comedy, that I love, love, love very, very, very much. So I’m going to have to add it to my list! I just love that Eugene =D