Shana Galen
Shana Galen

Jaunty Post, Shana Galen

Monday was President’s Day, and though we still had school and work, I was reminded by all the flags lining the streets how proud we are to be Americans.

And Texans.

bornI’m not from Texas, but I moved here in the early 1980s from Michigan. I don’t remember Michigan being quite so patriotic as Texas is. I actually don’t think any state is as patriotic as Texas is. But maybe I’m wrong. Is it common where you live to put up both the American and the state flag? Because you rarely see an American flag without a Texas flag here.

photo(5) copy

photo(6)

photo(8)

Princess Galen could recognize both flags when she was only 3. I moved to Texas when I was about 9, and I still couldn’t tell you what the Michigan flag looks like. But I learned real quick to identify not only the Texas flag but also how to recite the Texas pledge.

photo(7)

That’s right. In Texas, after we pledge allegiance to the US of A, we pledge allegiance to Texas. Maybe we’re so proud in Texas because we’re such a big state. Maybe because we’re the only state ever to have been a country in its own right. And maybe it’s true that everything is just bigger in Texas, including the pride.

don't mess

What is it like where you live? Is there this much state pride?

15 thoughts on “It’s Different in Texas

1. Patricia Schmitt says:

I have lived in Texas most of my life. While I was in the military I was stationed in Louisiana and I don’t remember seeing any state flags anywhere. It may not be true so don’t get mad at me for saying so, but I think we are just more proud here in Texas!

We are definitely proud here in Texas, Patti!

2. MJ Fredrick says:

You’re the second person from Michigan I’ve heard say that about the state flag! I’m a native Texan and proud :) But I’m teaching my students the state songs from other states, which is an education for all of us!

I bet, MJ. That’s kind of cool, I think. Does every state have a song?

1. MJ Fredrick says:

So far! Some, like Tennessee and Colorado and Louisiana, have more than one. I pick the one I already know to teach, lol.

Good strategy.

3. Very cool, Shana! In Florida, you’re more likely to see the FSU, UF, UCF or UM flags alongside the American flag than one from the state. Some houses, like ours, fly two different college flags at once on some crazy Saturdays!

Oh, you see lots of college stuff in Texas too, but not as much college stuff as TEXAS stuff!

I live in PA and Pittsburgh. There is a lot of history in this state and a lot of firsts but I’m not so sure anyone can compete with Texas lol.

Not with our pride, at any rate.

5. LSUReader says:

I’m from Louisiana, but have lived in this Great State of Texas for the past 20 years. You are so right about Texas pride, Shana. It’s widespread and wonderful! Not in Louisiana, nor in any other states where I’ve visited, have I ever seen such obvious state pride. Maybe it’s because Texas fought for its own independence and was a republic before it joined the US. Whatever it is, I’m quite proud of my adopted state.

I’m proud to, but I never feel quite proud enough!

6. Kristan Higgins says:

I find that in Connecticut, it’s more regional pride: we love being Yankees, we love being New Englanders, and we have this fond affection for all your poor folks who aren’t. : ) We love our sports teams, but we’re not so focused on college teams the way you guys are down South.

I think you’re probably right about that, Kristan. Football–high school and even college–are so popular. NFL is secondary. I always thought it was interesting that it was the New England Patriots but the Dallas Cowboys or Houston Texans.

7. Glenda says:

I’m an adopted Texan as well. I’ve only been here almost 23 years, but love the state and (most of) the people. :-) I fell in love with the scenery as I drove by the fields of wildflowers when I first came to Austin late in April…. Not much later I fell in love with my husband – so I just had to stay. :-D

I lived in California for 10 years then Georgia for 14. Neither state had nearly the same amount of patriotism as Texas. I honestly don’t remember much at all in California. Georgia did have much more than California, but not as much as Texas.