Wasn’t the Super Bowl exciting?

No…not the game. By now, we all know that was a blow-out, a one-sided stomping important only to die-hard Bronco/Seahawks fans. I’m not one of those, although I did have a promised 30 free Bingo Bash chips riding on a Broncos win. Phooey.

But marketing works. They get the rest of us into the sports bars and living rooms by offering those infamous, incredible commercials.

Every year, I can predict that Budweiser will make me tear up. (This is not difficult, actually. Greeting cards, grocery stores, insurance companies, “thank you, Mom” athletes, dog-food, and even light bulbs have, in their day, made me cry. Warning: if you’re a cheap-weep like me, do not enter the search term “touching commercials” on Google.)

This year was no exception. Didn’t you think the puppy who loved the horse was heartbreakingly adorable? Puppies, babies, coming-home soldiers, mommies…these things always, always work.

But, for my money, the standout commercial Sunday night was, hands down, the Jaguar “Villains” ad.

Easy-peasy. No-brainer. See, it had Tom Hiddleston in it, being as fabulous and charming as ever, and that’s all it takes for me.

Tom_Hiddleston_Thor_2_cropped

Do you know Tom Hiddleston yet? I found him late, as I’ve never seen any of the Thor movies. I adored him as F. Scott Fitzgerald in “Midnight in Paris” without realizing who he was. Then I loved him in “War Horse,” though I could identify him only as “the gorgeous guy who rode the horse, you know, the one who played Fitzgerald in that other movie.”

Then I looked him up, and I found him online reading one of my favorite poems in the world, “As I Walked Out One Evening,” by W. H. Auden.

auden

The poem perfectly blends romance and tragedy. “I’ll love you till the ocean is folded and hung up to dry, and the seven stars go squawking like geese about the sky,” it says at one point, and then, later, “Time watches from the shadows, and coughs when you would kiss.” Isn’t that marvelous? Add a great British voice, and…cue swoon. :)

Anyhow, Auden was the clincher. Yes, Tom Hiddleston is super smart and funny. He has an elegant frame, a darling smile, an irresistible twinkle in his eyes, and enough sex appeal to sink the Titanic. But he also has The Voice, and that’s the part I can’t resist.

If you’re not an Auden fan, try the audio in which he and Helena Bonham Carter read from Winnie the Pooh. It might be even better. Or heck, just watch the Jaguar commercial for the hundredth time, like someone else I know ;-).

So…yeah. At my house, the Super Bowl was definitely exciting. How about you? Are you a Hiddleston fan? Or did one of the other commercials capture your heart instead? I’m giving away an e-copy of any one of my Bell River titles to one poster today!

THE RANCH SHE LEFT BEHIND COVER FRONT ONLY

21 thoughts on “Okay, Okay, I’ll Buy A Jag.

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

I’m a sucker for a great voice too, Kathleen. Loved Benedict Cumberbatch as the evil Khan in the latest Star Trek movie. Wish I could get Sherlock where I live.

1. Mary Anne Landers says:

Maybe you will where you’re moving to.

1. Good thought, Mary Anne! Maybe all her efforts will be worth it after all! ;-)

2. Mia, BC is the other great voice of the moment! It really is a crime that your local PBS is declining to offer Sherlock, which has some super talent and great scripts. Netflix has the first two seasons, I’m happy to report! :)

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

I may have to go on Amazon and buy the first two seasons. Is it worth it, you think?

2. Mary Anne Landers says:

Thanks, Kathleen. Must check out that link for Hiddleston reading the Auden poem. And the Jag plug.

I didn’t watch the Superbowl, but I did come across one sweet, tear-jerking news story related to it. So for you and everyone else who can’t get enough schmaltz, check this out: http://www.hlntv.com/article/2014/02/03/shaun-phillips-tweet-hero-dad?hpt=hln10_4

1. Awww…Mary Anne, that really is too sweet! I always think about the players’ proud, worried mommies, but I had forgotten some of those men have children old enough to be proud and worried, too. Sounds as if that particular player has all the comfort and support he needs, right at home. <3

3. Rochelle says:

I loved that commercial. I am a TH fan and find him incredibly elegant. Did you happen to catch him in The Hollow Crown? Oh my! Although he was not so nice in The Deep Blue Sea. I also love Mark Strong who was featured with him in that Jaguar ad.

1. Rochelle, I have The Hollow Crown on DVR, and am impatiently waiting for Girlchild to have time to watch it together. Is it wonderful? It’s not easy to stop myself from cheating, and watching TH’s on the sly. :) I’m with you on Mark Strong…that’s a thrilling voice, too!

1. Rochelle says:

You will love him in The Hollow Crown and it will be worth the wait!

1. Hurray, Rochelle! It’s hard to imagine being disappointed in any of his acting, but it’s great to hear he pulled it off well.

I actually didn’t watch the SuperBowl or any commercials. I watched Disney Junior and then Downton Abbey. But I will google the ads everyone thinks were great and watch them. So I’m adding this one to my list.

1. Your evening’s TV sounds like great fun, Shana–and the commercials are available everywhere, so it’s a win all around! :) I’ve got Downton Abbey on DVR, and I’m hearing it was a great episode. It’s quite a struggle to avoid spoilers!

5. jcp says:

I didn’t watch the SuperBowl or any commercials.

1. JCP, I hope your evening was filled with your own special kind of fun instead! Believe me, as far as the Super Bowl was concerned, you didn’t miss a thing! /Yawn… ;-)

6. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

Kathleen, I am SO your twin when it comes to commercials – I cry at just about anything. I was even tearing up in the Hyundai commercial, where the fathers keep rescuing their kids from their own stupidity. And I loved the Jaguar commercial. I was really surprised it didn’t score more highly in the fan rankings of commercials.

1. What fun to be twins that way, Vanessa! As a dear friend of mine once said, the heart is just a muscle and needs exercise, too. :) I was shocked about the Jaguar commercial ranking, too. I got something from Hulu that ranked dozens of them, and I didn’t see that one on the list at all. Guess it’s a niche audience? Niche, as in cultish? ;-) Small, but passionate.

7. Virginia says:

Sorry we don’t watch sports here, no Super Bowl. I loved the Budweiser commercial.

8. Eileen Aberman-Wells says:

I love me a good British accent too. I’m also an easy weeper, so some of those commercials make me very teary!!!

9. Marcy Shuler says:

I had no clue who Tom Hiddleston was until I followed your link. LOL My favorite commercial is the Puppy Love one. I’ve watched it way too many times already. ;)

10. Kristan Higgins Kristan Higgins says:

I was watching the Bruno Mars concert and strangely, there was a football game nearby… But my favorite ad was the puppy and the Clydesdale. Of course.