Robyn DeHart
Robyn DeHart

Facebook, favorite things, Food, Robyn DeHart

Tags:
, ,

100_2358I’m pretty sure I’ve talked about my struggles with Diet Coke here on this blog. I know I have on my Facebook page. I’ve tried to quit so many times, but for one reason or another I never quite made the commitment. Well, I’m happy to report that I have not had a diet soda of any variety since September 2nd. In fact I haven’t had any artificial sweeteners since then.

While I’m very happy and proud of my accomplishment with this, something about it all has really surprised the hell out of me. I knew I had physical addictions to the chemicals in diet coke. Day 3 of my detox (as I fondly call it) I felt so badly I thought I might be physically sick. It was awful, I shook, I was all jittery and cranky. But I had expected it. Things got better after that. Eventually the shakes went away and my headaches disappeared (well the soda-related headaches). But I never realized how emotionally addicted I was to those little cans of bubbly delight.

Most days I do okay, but some days I want one so badly I literally could rip them out of some poor unsuspecting soul’s hand. I’ve even cried – that’s embarrassing to admit, I realize it’s just a beverage. But I miss them. For so long, my diet sodas were my constant companion. I mean I was drinking a lot of them, like upwards of 50-80 ounces a day. Yes, you read that right. But I’ve seriously mourned the demise of diet coke and diet big red and any other variety I would have.

It still seems weird to me to acknowledge this. It’s crazy to think that something so trivial could be so emotionally important to me, but there you have it.

So how about you? Have you ever had something like this that completely took you by surprise? Ever given up something that was really difficult to let go of?

13 thoughts on “The surprise addiction

1. Kristan Higgins Kristan Higgins says:

Robyn, good for you! While I don’t drink nearly as much caffeine as you did, I do rely on that cuppa joe first thing out of bed each morning. Can’t imagine having to give that up.

2. Sue Gorman says:

Congratulations Robyn!
    I love regular coke. I gave up soda last year for Lent. I felt better after the first few days. One thing led to another and regular strength coke and I are best buddies. Mondays are my busiest days at work—- and the only day that I opt for a bottle of Coke. I don’t drink soda of any kind at home.
    I could never ever give up coffee. My husband, daughter and all of the corgis would run away!

Wow, Robyn! Who knew Diet Coke could be so addictive? I do like a Diet Dr Pepper in the afternoon and a cup of coffee in the morning, but I don’t miss it if I don’t have it. I’ve certainly given up my free time….but that’s another story.

4. Cynthia D'Alba says:

I gave up Diet Cokes (and all soft drinks) for Lent one year. It was HARD. Near the end, I was dreaming of 2-liter diet cokes! :) I did it again last year. Much easier. I try to limit my soft drink intake to fewer than 2 a week. Some weeks I have none. But honestly, it’s hard. I’m trying to keep water in the refrigerator at all times so I have something to grab.

5. Karen Johnston says:

Yay for you!!! That’s great!!! I used to drink Mt Dew like that and I was diagnosed with diabetes so I had to stop. I tried switching to diet but it just wasn’t the same. It is hard tho. That’s awesome that you’ve kicked it!

6. jcp says:

I gave up soda too. I feel better and save money. I try to keep that reusable water bottle out to remember to drink water from the tap.

7. Nancy Robards Thompson Nancy Robards Thompson says:

Congratulations, Robyn. I know that wasn’t easy. I gave up caffeine
    for health reasons and it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. I was
    addicted to my morning cup of tea – the good, strong stuff that I ordered
    because the grocery store stuff just didn’t cut it. Plus, it seems like every
    drink you order out (except for water) is either laden with caffeine or sugar.
    I lapse every so often and when I do, I pay the price. I find myself getting
    very edgy and then I suffer the caffeine withdrawal headache. The consequences
    keep me on the straight and narrow…pretty much.

Quitting was a wonderful thing. I’ve not heard anything good about sodas and now they are saying the dyes are bad for you too. I do drink black coffee and the only time I gave it up was when I was pregnant but it was my body’s decision not mine lol. I lost the taste in my second trimester and that happened for two pregnancies. Oh, but I was addicted to nose drops. I have allergies and sensitivities to certain smells. I got off them a couple of times before it stuck. So now I take antihistamines which is better than the drops.

9. Carrie says:

Congratulations on being able to give up Diet Coke! I don’t drink pop anymore as it wrecked havoc on my stomach lining. I tend to avoid anything with caffeine except for when i have a bad headache or a migraine. I haven’t given it up but I have cut down significantly on eating pretzels. I love the salt on them and I was consuming way too much sodium.I could tear through a bag of pretzels like it was nothing.

10. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

Kudos to you, Robyn! It’s so good that you’ve detoxed that stuff out of your system. I’d say my weakness is sugar. I have to go cold turkey to get off it – nothing in the house and definitely no treats. Once I start, I can’t stop myself!

11. Virginia says:

Congrats Robyn, my husband drinks way to many of them also. I drink one maybe two a day. My worse habit is smoking. I have tried to quit several times with no luck. I just don’t have the will power to do it. Every time I try to quit I start gaining weight which I can’t stand to have more of that one either. I am over weight and have a bad hip so I don’t need the extra weight either.

12. ki pha says:

Yay Robyn! You’ve done it and we’re very proud of you~
    I have to say I’m also addicted to this chemical. If I don’t drink it for a week or so I might go crazy but I can hold if off for a bit longer. But just this past week I was mad crazy and had to order pizza just to get the cola! I know! *face palms*
    Well, I should stop I know…. we’ll see what happens. keep uop the good work!!

13. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

I did give up caffeine once and the detox is terrible. It was like there was a vulture on my head with a claw sunk into the base of my brain and it was screaming “Give me!” After a month clean, I realized I missed my coffee and soda so much I didn’t care that it would enslave me again. There are worse things in life than a dependence on caffeine.

So now I’m a two cuppa Joe, 2 Cherry Coke Zero kind of gal, but in my defense I also drink 64 ounces of water a day to flush it all out. Yeah, if you listen closely, I kind of slosh a bit.