Katherine Garbera
Katherine Garbera

Jaunty Post

future photoWhen I was growing up we talked of the future as time when we’d have flying cars, hover boards, eat dehydrated astronaut food and of course video phones.  My mom used to say that will never catch on because people don’t want you to see into their houses.  And she is right about that.  I have a very specific area where I will video chat with my friends and my house always looks very clean from their perspective.  ;)

While a lot of the other things for the future haven’t materialised, video calls have, in a big way.  And since I now live in another country and can’t meet my friends and family for lunch to hang out at each other’s houses I love it.

It’s so much fun to see each other and to talk and connect and it really is like being right there with them.  I have to admit that I have a few time zone challenges i.e. I’m not always good with the math  and have called one of my friends at the wrong time.  But for other friends the chatting works at times when we are both awake.

Eve lives in Steamboat, CO part of the year and when she’s there we video chat at midnight here time and seven a.m. mine.  That is not a time I would feel comfortable calling her but video chatting seems just fine.

Is there any future tech-thing that you wish was invented?  Do you live video chats like me?  I’m holding out for a teleporter so I don’t have to do transatlantic flights any more. :)

I’m giving away a copy of A COWBOY FOR CHRISTMAS to one random blog participant today.

8 thoughts on “I’m finally living in the future!!

1. girlygirlhoosier52 says:

Who wouldn’t want Star Trek’s teleportion… no more driving, auto fumes, pollution!!

2. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

Katherine, my stepson lived in Japan for six years, and Skype was really a lifesaver. We talked at least once a week, and it made such a difference in our ability to stay close with him. A teleporter would be totally awesome.

3. Laurie W G says:

I love video chats. We can only get all of my children together that way at my daughter’s house. We only have dial up and it is too slow for Google Plus Chats. Love seeing my children and their new apartments. Two of my sons moved to Tampa and have new places (August). My other son moved from Los Alamos, NM to Naples, Florida (October).

A teleporter/ trasnporter would be fantastic. I live 24 hours away from our place in Florida. That’s too long of a drive!

More planes like the old Concorde would be nice too.

I keep waiting for the bullet trains but they keep getting cut out of the state budgets.

I still remember them trying to work on video phones in 1968. It took a lot longer to actually come into practice.

4. Mary Anne Landers says:

Thank you, Katherine. I was about to answer your question with: robot maids like in “The Jetsons”, so we won’t have to do housework anymore.

But that’s too prosaic. What I really want is interstellar flight, like in “Star Trek” or “Star Wars”. Then the whole universe will be open to mankind. I just hope we won’t mess that up like we have the little planet we started out on.

I’ve not used that but I think it would be wonderful. I can remember in high school (many years ago lol) where I was involved in showing off future inventions and one was the phone that you could talk and see each other. That really never was a big hit but now it is with the computer. Yes, to teleporting!

6. Cheryl Hastings says:

Teleportation, definitely!! I am not a fan of flying. I’ve done it to FL 3 times but that’s it!!

7. Marcy Shuler says:

I’ve never video chatted, but I am with many others here and would love teleportation. LOL

8. Nancy Robards Thompson Nancy Robards Thompson says:

Kathy, I love it when we video chat. Since we can’t meet for lunch like we used to, I’m glad we have this. Our chat are so much fun!