Robyn DeHart
Robyn DeHart

Christmas, family, Robyn DeHart

Tags:

800px-FirstchristmascardI love Christmas cards. I mean I write Victorian historicals, the era in which Christmas cards first began. I love the ones with pictures of people’s kids and furr-babies. Mostly I love the ones that come with letters telling us all about the family’s year.

When December rolls around I have every intention of sending out cards of our own. We have ridiculously cute daughters (and cats!) and we have stuff that happens that could easily go in a Christmas letter. But then the stress of the holiday starts to eat at me. The holiday to-do list grows and grows and I spend too much on presents and ultimately something has to get scratched off the list to alleviate stress and those cards are the first things to go.

I haven’t sent them in years. Since we got the girls, actually and I think I only send them two other times before that (since I’ve been married). I don’t know what it is but the whole notion of putting together cards and sending them out just makes me kinda nutty. Here’s the problem though, as I mentioned I really love getting them, but I know that people will eventually stop sending to me because they don’t receive from me. So to those of you who send me cards, please keep sending them, they make me happy. And please know that if you don’t get a card from me again this year (I can tell you right now, not gonna happen) it’s not you, it’s me.

So how about you? Where do you stand on the whole Christmas card thing? Do you like pictures or Christmas letters or just the traditional cards?

11 thoughts on “The Christmas Card Conundrum

1. Robyn, what a wonderful card you chose to illustrate this blog! It’s absolutely charming! I did Christmas cards for years but have eased off the past few–partly for the reasons you mention. I’ve never sent the accompanying letter, though. I never could find a way to be genuine and avoid sounding braggy or self-centered. It’s a fine line between “I want to catch you up” and “I want to dazzle you.” ;-)

2. Karen Johnston says:

I used to send them faithfully every year but to be honest, its expensive! lol And it seemed like very few were sending them in return and I just lost interest. I still send a few. To a few “favorite” people but for the most part, Ive stopped. I have an aunt that does the whole “yearly catch up letter” and I love it! I always look forward to reading and see what all my cousins are up to since they live so far away.

3. girlygirlhoosier52 says:

I’ll admit I’m not a great card sender… people have probably noticed that they keep getting the same card from us… While my mom [who was a mom to more than just her 3 daughters] would get the ‘annual letter’ from several people there are only 2 that I miss since she passed. One was always filled with over the top accomplishments by a very proud mom and the other was always filled with people who we’ve never met but rather famous from the son of a dear friend of our mother…

4. Maria Facchini Proctor says:

I love the religious Christmas cards, with angels, the Three Wise Men, & the Holy Family. Those are my favorite kind to send!

5. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

Robyn, I love sending and getting Christmas cards – the glitterier, the better. I like the old fashioned ones with angels and country scenes of churches and village squares. I’m a total sap when it comes to cards!

6. What a great tradition. We don’t have this here, we just call or send messages… I had no idea that the Christmas card tradition started in Victorian times.

I
    I like traditional cards and the ones with pictures can be nice too but I’m afraid those newsletters aren’t my cup of tea. We have a few families that send them and they have turned into our “let’s laugh at this one.” A few people seem to be able to pull if off but most end up as look what we have and see what we did etc. etc. etc.

I wish I had time to write a letter, but I just send a card. The pictures are done and the cards just need to be stamped :-)

9. Marcy Shuler says:

I used to send Christmas cards with cute pictures enclosed of our two boys doing something cute (totally set up, of course. LOL). But when the boys got old enough to protest a holiday photo shoot I stopped sending cards, too. I feel guilty. I still love to get them and love when they have pictures inside, but it’s too much stress and money for me to send them out. *sigh*

10. Kristan Higgins Kristan Higgins says:

I love Christmas cards. The whole family photo…that’s tough, though. We’ve taken to the “year in pictures” type, and we don’t try to be cute or attractive. : )

11. ki pha says:

Well, I’m just starting up on sending out cards and they’re just the traditional kinds. Not very experienced in the act but working on it. :)

Love your card choice~