Pamela

As a reader and writer of historical romance, I had never planned on writing romantic suspense. That was my agent’s idea.

We were talking one evening about my progress on my second historical when I mentioned that I’d gotten a phone call from a state official who was afraid for my safety. I was in the middle of investigating a cement plant on allegations that it was violating clean air laws, and the state official, one of my sources, had overheard men at the plant talking about the “lady journalist” and how they were afraid they were going to lose their jobs if I didn’t back off.

“They’re not going to write you a letter to the editor,” the state official said. “They’re going to beat the sh*t out of you with baseball bats.”

This wasn’t the first time my work had put me in potential danger. Over my 20 years as an investigative reporter, I had a gun held on me twice, received numerous death threats, and had two stalkers, one of whom drew the attention of the FBI, and was attacked by two men with switchblades in my own home.

Who knew that investigative journalism was a contact sport?

My agent listened to me talk about my day, and then got very quiet. “You ought to write romantic suspense because you live it.”

To which I replied, “Yeah—except for the romantic part.”

I’m glad I took her advice because the I-Team series has gained a level of popularity that I hadn’t imagined when I wrote that first book.

Striking Distance, the sixth book in my I-Team series, was just released this month, earning rave reviews from fiction publications. It tells the love story of Laura Nilsson, a broadcast journalist, and Javier “Cobra” Cobray, the active-duty Navy SEAL who rescues her from an Al-Qaeda compound.

Striking Distance1

The prologue, in which Javier rescues Laura, with whom he’d once had a weekend fling, fell into my head in a single chunk. The rest of the story took me 15 long months to write. Some of the background elements of the story—Laura’s reportage on the abuse and mistreatment of women in some parts of the Middle East, her PTSD, her struggles as a survivor of sexual assault—was drawn from my own work as reporter and my own personal past. But the rest of the story involved a lot of research.

I was fortunate in that I was able to connect with an active-duty Navy SEAL, who provided his expertise between deployments, helping me to make the military aspect of the story and Javier’s character authentic. I would send him a section of the story to read or perhaps ask questions. Sometimes he would get back to me right away. Other times, weeks would go by, sometimes even months, and I would know that duty had called him away. But he always got back to me, answering my questions with a humbleness that I found deeply touching.

I dedicated the book to him.

Striking Distance is a very special book to me, in part because of the unique interaction I was able to have with a special operator. I hope you enjoy the results!

Here’s the blurb from the back of the book:

Her past is a secret—even to her.
Discovering it will be the most dangerous move of her life.

TV reporter Laura Nilsson, known as the “Baghdad Babe,” spent eighteen months in an Al-Qaeda compound after being kidnapped live on the air. Two years later, she’s still wondering why.

No mission in Javier Corbray’s fourteen years as a Navy SEAL affected him the way Laura’s rescue did. No woman had stirred his protective instincts the way she did. And he wants her more than he’s ever wanted anyone.

As Laura and Javier’s passion ignites, so does Laura’s need to discover the mystery of her past. Especially when she learns that her abduction was not random—and that she’s still a target for a killer with an impenetrable motive. Now Javier will have to rely on his skills to keep the woman he loves from being struck down before she dares uncover the truth.

Here are what some reviewers had to say about the story:

“This sixth I-Team installment sees Clare at her very best, combining scorching desire with a gripping, often painful, exploration of healing and redemption. The plot’s mystery and suspense elements are exceptionally well researched and expertly plotted, but the real achievement lies in her beautifully crafted main couple. Her heroine’s ordeal is unspeakably painful, but her strength never wavers. The chemistry with her steadfast hero never lacks for sizzle, but the emotional bond they share allows them to go beyond the physical to a profound, unforgettable love.”

—RT Book Reviews, 4.5-stars Top Pick

“Easily one of the best romantic suspense stories of the year!”
—GraveTells.com

Striking Distance was also chosen as a Recommended Read for the month of November by Dear Author.

You can read the prologue on my website.

Striking Distance is available in mass market paperback, all ebook formats and in audiobook, narrated by the talented Kaleo Griffith.

Also, be sure to check out First Strike, the erotic prequel to Striking Distance. It tells the story of the crazy no-strings-attached weekend Laura and Javier share in Dubai, where they first meet.

I hope you enjoy the stories!

Website: www.pamelaclare.com
Facebook
Goodreads
Twitter

Have you ever found yourself taking an unexpected turn in life, or doing something scary that you  felt you just had to do?  One person who comments will win a signed copy of Striking Distance, and everyone who comments will win a digital copy of First Strike

First Strike

68 thoughts on “Please Welcome The Fabulous Pamela Clare!

1. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

So happy to have you visiting with us today, Pamela. And congratulations on hitting the USA Today Bestseller list with Striking Distance!

1. Pamela Clare says:

Thanks so much, Vanessa! It’s ben an exciting week. Thanks so much for having me here! I’m just waking up here in Colorado.

2. Laurie W G says:

5 years ago I had to go back to work which was quite scary but very rewarding.

Last year we ( my husband and I ) were gifted with trips to Zion National
    Park and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I hiked strenuous trails:
    The Subway, The Narrows and Observation Point and Rim to Rim. I
    surprised myself. I was thrilled by my success.

I’d love to read your intrigue, STRIKING DISTANCE! I’ve enjoyed your historical romances especially SURRENDER.

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, Laurie — Going back to work can be scary. I remember when I went back to work I was amazed to spend an entire day with adults with no one trying to hit anyone, no one having accidents in their pants… It was intimidating to go back to work, but also really gratifying.

And the Grand Canyon! Such a beautiful place! I’ve hiked down to Phantom Ranch and back out. I loved the landscape, but it was HOT!

I’m thrilled to know you enjoyed SURRENDER. That series was so much fun to write. It’s out in audiobook now, and the narrator, Kaleo Griffith, does an amazing job with the brothers’ Scottish burr. It’s downright sexy!

3. Wow, Pamela, sounds as if you’ve had a fairly hair-raising career as a journalist! Hope your career as a novelist is equally exciting without being quite as dangerous! Striking Distance sounds fantastic…love the protector hero!

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, Kathleen — Thanks for coming!

Yes, my career was rather atypically exciting. That’s what happens when you just go all out, I guess. And thank you for that wish! I would like that too — all the excitement, rather less danger.

Good luck in the drawing! I love Javier, too—very protective and just what Laura needs to heal after her ordeal with AQ.

4. Karen Johnston says:

After being married for several years, I turned up pregnant. Tickled to death, I began to plan our “family life”. While I was planning that, my husband was planning his life with his girlfriend. Ughh So when my daughter was 6 months old, I became a single parent. I was scared to death that I was going to fail her. But now that I look back on it, I was a pretty good single mom! My daughter and I are super close and Ive always thought it was because it was just us girls there for awhile. ;)
    Im looking forward to reading some of your books! Youre a new author for me and your story sounds great!! :))

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, Karen — Thanks for being here this morning and for sharing that story. That must have been downright terrifying. I am so glad that you and your daughter have had a happy ending.

I’m a single mom, too, though not under such trying circumstances. I have a lot of respect for moms because I know how much we can accomplish.

5. Sue Gorman says:

Congrats on making the USA best seller list! Look forward to reading your books’

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hey, Sue! Thank you! It’s been such an exciting week here. I’m lucky in that I’ve been able to celebrate with my sister. She’s always been my biggest supporter and she just happens to be here from Sweden this month.

I hope you enjoy the stories! :-)

Thank you so much for stopping by today!!! What a scary job you have. I’d rather have my excitement in fiction.

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, Shana — Thank you for being here!

I think I must be a bit of an adrenaline junkie, because most of the time the job seemed fun and exciting. But I’m with you now — I’d rather leave the danger in my stories. It’s been great to be able to channel all of this stuff somewhere. :-)

7. Erin F says:

Thanks for the great post and congrats to Pamela on the new release! This summer I ended a long term relationship. It was so scary and I’m in my 30′s but it was the change I needed. Things have only gone better and better since then.Thanks for sharing!

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, Erin — It takes a lot of courage to step out on your own after having your life intermingled with someone else’s. There are so many things you suddenly have to face on your own. Congratulations for doing the right thing for yourself!

And you’re welcome! It’s great to be here with all of you. :-)

Well, your scary is something I couldn’t do! I think it was when on vacation we took a horse ride up a mountain (in Haiti to see the Citadel). I never rode a horse and going up was fine but coming down the guides switched horses on me and it fell!! I almost went over the mountain. Getting back on that horse was very scary.

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, Catslady — That IS scary! Wow. You must have been terrified. And getting back on the horse? That was truly and act of courage!

Thanks for being here today! :-)

9. girlygirlhoosier52 says:

Being on my own, after having been married and dumped for someone younger..

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, Girlygirl — I’m so sorry you had to go through that. It must have been not only scary but also extremely painful. I wish you all the best!

1. girlygirlhoosier52 says:

Long time ago and I’m way better off with current hubby of over 30 years… but thanks for the kind thoughts.

1. Pamela Clare says:

Aw, that’s great! A happy ending. I’ve been divorced since 1996, but I find I’m pretty happy on my own. That may be my happy ending. :-)

10. Emily Baucom says:

I have had to do a few things that were scary at first but they were not major things at all. Striking Distance sounds like a great book and congratulations on making the best sellers list. I have never read one of your books before but they are for sure going on my wish list.

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, Emily — Thank so much! For a while, I didn’t believe it was real. A friend had to send me a copy of the list.

STRIKING DISTANCE is one of the hardest books I’ve written, for sure. I hope you do get a chance to read the stories.

Good luck in the drawing!

11. MaureenE says:

It is exciting to see Pamela has a new story out. Her romantic suspense stories are great. I took a turn when our daughter was born and I quit my job to work with my husband.

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, Maureen — Thanks for being here! And thank you! I do try to write stories worth the time taken to read them. :-)

It takes a lot of trust to leave a job like that to work for someone else, especially family. Sometimes it goes really well, but when it doesn’t… I hope it all worked out wonderfully for you!

12. Rochelle says:

Certainly nothing that dangerous!!! Most of the risks taken, were those I had no choice over, such as moving overseas. They did however, turn out to be great experiences.

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, Rochelle — How fabulous that you’ve been able to live abroad! Where did you live? That’s always such an amazing experience, even though it is, I know, scary at first.

Thanks for being here today! :-)

1. Rochelle says:

Japan and Germany – too very different and wonderful cultures! Thanks for your post.

1. Pamela Clare says:

You’re welcome! Thanks for being a part of it!

13. Pat Egan Fordyce says:

Hello Pamela and Vanessa….hmm scary things. After living in No. Virginia for close to 35 years. My husband and I both retired from our full time jobs and moved to eastern N.C. Our children were grown and on their own, so it was good timing ……but all of a sudden I had no job, no friends, and lived in the country. But quickly decided I liked it, had LOTS of time to do my favorite thing…read. I have read and re-read the I-Team books multiple times, and listened to the audio versions of all. I personally think First Strike and Striking Distance are her best yet!!

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, Pat — So good to see you here! And thank you! All I know is that I gave those two stories everything I had.

Moving is one of the most stressful things a person can do. Feeling uprooted, without connections — it takes a lot of work and courage. Good for you! I’m so glad it turned out well for you!

14. Josephine Scala-Parente says:

Just love your book!!!!!

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi Josephine — Good to see you! And thanks so much! I am delighted to hear that. :-)

1. Josephine Scala-Parente says:

I just finished first strike. It was great…I had it for quite a while, I didn’t want to read it because I’m not a big fan of Cliffies so until I had the next book, I wasn’t reading it…LOL!! Now on to the next…

1. Pamela Clare says:

That makes sense — and it’s a pretty enormous cliff hanger, isn’t it?

1. Josephine Scala-Parente says:

Yes, it was..I’m going to start to read “Striking Distance” now…You are a very talented author…

2. Pamela Clare says:

Thank you! :-)

15. Gillette says:

Life has taken so many unexpected turns some felt like adventures, like living abroad and others scary, like having a baby – oops :)

I miss the historical so, so much. I remember going to the used bookstore grabbing any romance book that looked like it had a chance of being a good read. Packing a suitcase full of 50 pounds of novels and hoping they held out until my next trip to the States (all pre-Kindle of course – my suitcases are much lighter now. lol) That is how I ended up with an author I’d never heard of and an era I don’t usually read. Been a fan ever since!

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, Gillette — You must be talking about my MacKinnon’s Rangers series. I love the French & Indian War period of colonial history (Seven Years War across the pond). I’m so glad you came across those stories.

I would say the things my I-Team series has in common with my historicals are the research and attention to detail. Maybe I can just call that “authenticity.” Also, they’re all very emotionally intense stories like the historicals.

Thanks for posting!

1. Gillette says:

I totally agree! Miss those MacKinnon men though. Maybe a Scottish I-team hero? Wouldn’t that be great? Although, I’m suspecting Derek and Holly on the horizon. Not sure why, but it feels like a match to me :)

1. Pamela Clare says:

Yes, it’s MacKinnon’s Rangers. I have to have something for my poor historical readers who always end up waiting and waiting. :-)

Derek and Holly… Their destinies may lie along different paths, but Derek is going to get his own story later. And then again, who knows? Nothing is planned yet.

16. Amy McBurnie says:

Pamela – I just finished Striking Distance at midnight. I believe it’s your best one yet. And I really enjoyed First Strike (hot, hot, hot!).

I’ve done many things out of my comfort zone in my life. But the first was traveling to Sweden to spend a year as a 16 year-old exchange student (without my parents or anyone I knew), not knowing the language, not knowing anyone there, and discovering my host mother spoke no English. I grew to love the country, learned Swedish (I still remember a lot of it), grew up, developed a poise and confidence that I did not have at 16 (and which served me well during my 26 year Army career), and realized that there was an exciting world out there – even if you didn’t speak the language ;)
    And, 30 some odd years later, I was happy to see the Swedish elements in SD.

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, Amy — I’m so glad you enjoyed the stories. Thanks for letting me know!

I was an exchange student to Denmark when I was 17. Like you, I didn’t speak the language. My host mother didn’t speak English. I was fluent in Danish in six months. My sister did the same thing in Sweden, and she is now a dual US/Swedish citizen. So it was fun for me to include Scandinavian elements to the story. I love Scandinavia and hope to live there again for a time very soon!

1. Amy McBurnie says:

Pamela – what program did you go through and why Denmark? Rotary International sponsored me. I ended up in Sweden because there were no slots in Germany (I had studied German for six years and really wanted to improve my proficiency).
        I lived outside of Stockholm (Akersberga and Taby) but spent as much time in the city as I could. It was so much fun showing my parents around when they came to visit – and 23 years later, my husband.

1. Pamela Clare says:

That’s who sponsored me, too, Amy. I was Rotary Club exchange student to Sorø, Denmark. I, too, had tried for Germany, but there were no spots open. I want so very much to show my kids the country I fell in love with. My sister was also Rotary. She came back to the US, enrolled in a master’s program in Sweden, then went back over and stayed. :-)

1. Amy McBurnie says:

I would have liked to go back to Sweden right after college, but the Army called … and life happened. But nothing will take away the memories :)

17. Rebecca Kramer says:

Sounds like a great book. During Hurricane Katrina was when I had to go through a bad time with no power for a week, damaged house and unable to get gas for our vehicles my family and I still made in through the storm.

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, Rebecca — You have my sympathies! What a terrible disaster Katrina was. I lost a friend in the storm, and my aunt, who lives NE of NOLA lost her home. I’m glad you made it through, and I hope your lives have returned to normal. So many people lost everything but their lives in that storm.

18. Lisa Boggs says:

I didn’t really think it was scary at the time but i was 20 years old and didn’t know any better. I enlisted in the Army right as we were getting ready to go into Saudi Arabia and Desert Storm. Never even thought about where i might end up and when i found out that my job training was getting cut in half and i was going to be sent and didn’t even have a company to go with i was scared. Others were crying and i was like what’s the point in crying. Only time i remember being a bit scared was when we first landed the busses we road from there had bullet holes in them and we traveled long enough it was dark and there were vehicles on fire on the side of the road. No idea where we were. The other time is when the oil wells were all lit of fire and it was light out side one minute and dark the next. I was a truck driver and we were driving in a convoy with supplies somewhere. I look back now 20 plus years later and am glad i was scared but also think what was the matter with me that i wasn’t? It’s amazing how mature we think we are at 20 years old when now years later i didn’t know a thing.

Love to read the military themed romances. I like it when authors do the research to get it and right as possible. They often support those same military people they write about and i am eternally grateful for that. Congrats on the new book Pamela!!

Lisa B

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, Lisa — I think it takes a special kind of courage to get on a bus with bullet holes in it. Thank you for your service! What an experience that must have been. Yes, we always think we’re so on top of the world at 20, and then when we get older we realize that we were barely more than kids!

I do try to get it right and spend a lot of time on research. I’m sure I do still make mistakes, but it’s my goal not to do that. Ever.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

19. Tina Sorensen says:

Ohh! This looks delicious! I need to read this book!

1. Pamela Clare says:

I’m glad it looks interesting to you, Tina! Thanks for posting.

20. Lisa says:

The dude on the cover looks like the actor who plays Jacob Black in Twilight.

1. Pamela Clare says:

He’s a Brazilian model. I don’t know his name though. He’s supposed to look Puerto Rican.

21. Lisa says:

I really want to win a copy of Striking Distance, but honestly nothing in my life fits the parameters. Good Luck to the other entrants, though. Are these independent books, or linked in such a way, that you must read in order?

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, Lisa — FIRST STRIKE and STRIKING DISTANCE go together. FIRST STRIKE is the prequel and STRIKING DISTANCE is the continuation/completion of that story. The I-Team series overall has six full-length novels, all of which work as stand-alone stories. There are novellas, too. The order is on my website, but is pretty clear on Amazon and Goodreads, too.

22. lisagk says:

I recently left my job of 9 years taking a huge cut in pay. I wanted to be happier. Very scary.

1. Pamela Clare says:

LisaGK — That does take courage. Good for you! :-)

23. I love this series, is really amazing.

A few years ago I ended up with my boyfriend with whom I had a relationship for many years, everyone expected us to finish married, but one day I realized that he was not what I wanted in life and in my life, and to the surprise of all, I quit. It was a moment of great anguish because it made me look like the witch in the story, no one expected that news and it really scared me to think about break up with him and then realize that I really loved him. But now I see things in retrospect, I realize that is the best I’ve done in my life, although I have brought much suffering at the time.

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, Itzel — It is hard to do things we know will hurt other people, but you wouldn’t have done him any good by staying with him. Being true to yourself is very important. Good for you for having the courage to do that! :-)

24. MK says:

Having to moves states to another job after the last one ended

1. Pamela Clare says:

MK — That is a scary thing to do. Losing a job, moving, starting a new job — all of that falls under the category of major stress. I hope it all turned out well for you!

25. Carol Schaffer says:

Back in 2002 My husband and myself along with our two children came across a wrecked truck with two teenage girls. I had to pull the passenger out and try to soothe her while the other girl was already deceased. Most heart wrenching moment of my life. I would do it again if need be But I hope like hell I never have another memory like that one again. That imagine will forever be in my mind.

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, Carol — What a terrible tragedy! Not only did you witness the aftermath, you participated in it, coming to that girl’s aid. That was heroic. I’m sure you made a difference in that girl’s life. I hope you never face another situation like that. Those things never leave our minds and hearts. But it was good for that girl that you were there that day. :-(

26. Mary Holden says:

Every time a family member has passed in the last 20 years, my life has taken a turn. When I was layed off at the age of 62, my life took a major turn, as it did when I turned 65. And when my beloved dog, Yoshi, died in April of this year, my life took a drastic turn. She was my only reason for going outside unless I was going to town, the only reason I could push myself to go for walks, to get up on time, to keep a schedule to my life. It is amazing how important a dog can be to someone who spends a great deal of time living alone. It’s scary to be alone, but I’m managing, one day at a time. Isn’t that something to be proud of? As for Striking Distance, it sounds intriguing! Would love to read it!

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hii, Mary — I am so sorry for your losses! Losing a beloved pet is so terribly hard, and the grief is real and lasting. Sometimes just facing another day takes courage. Absolutely that is something to be proud of. I’m sending good wishes your way in hopes that people will enter your life who can bring you companionship, laughter and friendship. God bless you!

27. May says:

Hmm… deciding to have kids is the scariest thing that I did. :)

1. Pamela Clare says:

Hi, May — I hear that! It takes all kinds of courage to go through pregnancy and birth and then commit yourself to the wellbeing of tiny, new people for the rest of your life. I have two sons, and I remember after the first was born feeling a moment of terror when I realized that everything would depend on his wellbeing forever. :-)

28. Pamela Clare says:

THANK YOU to all of you who posted and participated! Now it’s time for PRIZES. :-)

Everyone who commented on this thread has won a *free* digital copy of FIRST STRIKE, the erotic prequel to STRIKING DISTANCE. To download your copy, Go to https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/367782 and enter Coupon Code GV27Q when you check out. All ebook formats are available, and Smashwords makes it easy to get your ebook or to read it on your computer if you don’t have an ereader.

And now for the signed copy of STRIKING DISTANCE…

The winner is LISA BOGGS!

Congratulations, Lisa!

Please send me your mailing address. You can reach me at pamelaclare at earthlink dot net.

And thanks again to all of you who participated. It was great chatting with you!