3305406-7702745488-wheelShana’s blog yesterday got me thinking about sexy heroes (like I actually needed an excuse). But to go in the other direction from animated heroes, let’s talk about the wicked ones and why are they so damn sexy?

This question was posed to me for this blog and I decided to tackle the topic because well, who doesn’t love to talk about sexy men? Now the easy answer is…because they’re HOT!

I take this notion of creating heroes quite serious. Consider it for a moment…when you’re reading a romance novel, you want to root for the heroine and fall in love with the hero. If I can’t create a hero that readers can fall in love with, then I’m not doing my job right.

But what is it about the wicked ones, the bad boys, that really call to us? They don’t in the real world (for the most part). I mean most of us are married to the good guys. I know I am. My husband is a college professor for Pete’s sake. While he’d love to thing of himself as a rough-and-tumble tough guy, he’s a big ‘ol softy. So that’s what I want to come home to every night, but when I snuggle up with a book, sometimes I want that rogue.

I think the biggest appeal is not so much how naughty they are, but that they’re naughty with a chance at being redeemed. We want to be that woman that brings that bad boy to his knees. We secretly long to be that girl, the one with the stack of books and the glasses sitting in the school cafeteria and the hottest guy in school walks past those cheerleaders because he can see the reality of who that girl is. He wants to know her. It’s all tied into that fantasy.

So the redeem-ability factor is huge. The other thing is those naughty men give the heroines a reason to be naughty, even if only behind closed doors. It’s nice to fantasize about being able to be daring and reckless with a man, to trust him so much we’d let him take us anywhere.

All right readers, your turn, who’s your favorite bad boy hero? It can be TV, book, movie, whatever.

20 thoughts on “Wicked men…

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

My favorite bad boy turned hero is…Dominc Toretto in the Fast and Furious franchise. I was already predisposed to like him because even though he’s a criminal he puts family first…kind of like Robin Hood but with a lot more muscles. :)

2. Mary Anne Landers says:

Thank you, Robyn. I’d answer your question if I could.

But the fact is, bad-boy romance heroes just aren’t for me. I go for good guys, heroes who are truly heroic. Who don’t have to be redeemed.

To me there is nothing romantic about redemption, by the heroine or anyone else. What’s more, a character who has gone over to the dark side, and would therefore require redemption, is simply not up to the sort of challenges I find interesting to read and write about.

Yes, I know the vast majority of romance readers, writers, and editors go for bad-boy heroes and redemption romances. They get lots and lots of attention in Romanceistan, our cultural territory.

But what about the rest of us? Is anyone speaking for us? Or writing for us? Just wondering.

1. Deb Hinshaw says:

Mary, I agree 99.9% because I like good guys, and good girls, too. I was reluctant to read the story I mentioned in my comment because I don’t go for the bad boy type. I’m a goody-two-shoes and still prefer most of my stories without the sex, even.

1. Mary Anne Landers says:

Thank you, Deb! I was so afraid I’d make everyone mad at me.

2. I’m sorry to say that I really love the bad boy, alpha type :D The others tend to be boring if not don well

3. Deb Hinshaw says:

My favorite bad boy turned hero is Saint from Suzanne Enoch’s London’s Biggest Scoundrel. Andrea over at The Romance Dish and I absolutely love him and she even blogged about him last fall. He is wicked, but falling in love with a sweet, if feisty heroine, turns him around…um, not completely. He still has a bit of delicious naughtiness in him at the end of the story and in another book where he makes an appearance.

1. RobynDeHart RobynDeHart says:

I’m with you there, Deb. I LOVE Saint! Then again, I love all of Suzie E’s heroes. She’s my go-to gal.

4. Karen Johnston says:

Oh gosh I didn’t even have to think about this one! Mine is most definitely Ian Somerhalder from Vampire Diaries. Ooooohhh my when he grins like he does…..whew! lol

1. Oh yes! He’s so pretty and does bad boys so well :))

1. Karen Johnston says:

Yes he does! ;)

5. Dyan Weissman Carness says:

I kind of agree with Mary Anne, I prefer a heroic, good guy! I can’t even think of a bad boy except for Christian Grey and I am not sure that I liked him very much. ;)

6. Kristan Higgins Kristan Higgins says:

I love bad boys who are bad because they don’t know that they’re good (does that make any sense?). I’d have to go with my husband, Tony Stark, on this one, Robyn.

1. LOL! You can choose Sherlock Holmes[Robert Downey Jr version] as well

2. RobynDeHart RobynDeHart says:

Oh yes, that works. Do you think Malone would count as a bad boy? Sigh…love him.

Can I say Flynn Ryder? He’s a thief. That’s bad, right? I really need to get out more…

1. RobynDeHart RobynDeHart says:

I think he counts, Shana.

I’m thinking most of the stories I read have that bad boy hero – I’m just not into the boy next door lol. I want all my excitement in my reading that I probably wouldn’t want in my real life lol.

1. Deb Hinshaw says:

For the most part, I do like the-boy-next-door-type of hero. Perfect example is Colin Bridgerton from JQuinn’s Romancing Mr. Bridgerton.

9. Virginia says:

Rhett Butler has aways been my favorite hero!

10. I have to choose only… 1? Don’t do this to meeee :((
    Joking aside :D from TV I dig Damon and Klaus from The Vampire Diaries[I managed to choose the psychotic ones, but they are very compelling :))]
    From books Lothaire[Immortals after dark], Raphael and his 7[Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh], Roarke[In Death series], Barrons[Fever series], Braden[On Dublin Street series].

OMG I should start keeping a list :))