Shana Galen
Shana Galen

bad boys, Heroes, Kristan Higgins, Movies, Shana Galen

Something strange must happen to mothers of young children. I remember Kristan Higgins talking about how when her kids were young and how excited she was when a cute actor was on Sesame Street. She’d call her girlfriends to make sure they were watching.

At the time, my daughter was too young to watch Sesame Street, and I think I chalked it up to another one of those weird but funny things Kristan Higgins does.

Until recently.

After four years of watching children’s shows and movies almost exclusively, I think they have messed with my head. I’ve noticed I have crushes on fictional heroes—and not fictional heroes like Jamie from Outlander or Roarke from JD Robb’s In Death series. Heroes like Flynn Ryder from Tangled.

Here he is.

flynn_rider_by_pirateprincesselayne-d5v4617

And again.

flynn nose

He’s funny! How could you not like that? And he’s a thief who ends up reforming. That’s the stuff romance novels are made of, right? Bad boy hero meets the heroine and changes to be a better man.

And then there’s Terence from Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure.

Terence ref

He’s a great friend to Tinker Bell. I could totally see a Young Adult novel where the best friend Terence ends up winning the fairy heroine.

And I can’t forget Nod from Epic. He’s cute and a warrior. How we do love our sexy warriors in romance novels.

nod

Do you have any crushes on fictional guys—cartoon or otherwise? And if you, like me love Flynn, check out my All Flynn Pinterest board.

tangled

27 thoughts on “Fictional Heartthrobs

1. marypreston says:

TANGLED is a great favorite around here. Love Flynn and his smoulder, or is it Eugene?

I sort of prefer Flynn, but it’s sweet how Rapunzel calls him Eugene.

2. Ada H says:

I could watch Tangled forever and ever. Absolutely adore Flynn!! I remember as a kid watching Jem & the Holograms and getting mad at Jem when she ignored Rio because I thought he was awesomesauce haha I think book and cartoon boyfriends are just perfectly alright! :)

I haven’t seen Jem and the Holograms. We might have to watch that one.

1. Ada H says:

Oh you totally have to, Shana!! They have all 3 seasons on DVD. You’ll love it!!

3. Mary Anne Landers says:

Thank you, Shana. Do I have any crushes on fictional guys? I used to. When I was a teenager, and the original “Star Trek” TV series was on the air in pimetime, I was in love with Mr. Spock. Which was, well, highly illogical. But there you have it.

My mom thought I was crazy. She was right, but not for that reason. Anyhow, her mom probably thought the same thing about her when she was a teenager because of her crush on Rhett Butler.

BTW, my mom never met Clark Gable, but some years after my adolesence I really did meet Leonard Nimoy. And he’s just as cool in person as he is on TV!

Keep up the good work!

I’m not a Spock fangirl, but I have always thought Worf from Star Trek The Next Generation was sexy.

4. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

Shana; that’s so funny. I do like Flynn and can understand why you keep watching TANGLED. :)

It’s Baby Galen who keeps asking to watch it! (ahem)

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

You’re a good mommy to keep watching it for her. ;)

It’s a sacrifice.

5. Jayne Smith says:

My fictional hero on TV has always been Ilyia Kuriakin ( Man from Uncle ) and my book one is Nicholas De Fleury from the House of Niccolo Series by the Late Great Dorothy Dunnett

Those two sound yummy, Jayne.

6. WynterDaniels says:

I love Flynn. And I hate to admit that my kids are too old for me to blame them for the fact that I’ve seen that movie!

I’d call it research…

7. Dyan Weissman Carness says:

My favorite is Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy! He makes me swoon!

8. Melissa Cowling Terry says:

I love Flynn! I also think Terence is sweet. I told my daughter that he really likes Tinkerbell. He is always willing to do anything to help her. I always feel better knowing you love Flynn too. :)

9. M Kuxhaus says:

I have a crush on Will from Horseland. And Eugene from Tangled.

1. M Kuxhaus says:

I forgot about Guy from The Croods. He’s super cute.

10. Lexi says:

We have the same cartoon crushes! Love Flynn Ryder and Terence (wish him and Tink could really make a go of it instead of her flying off into trouble all the time). Though my third choice is big, blue, and has wings. Goliath :)

Love your choices, Lexi! I don’t think Tink is ready for romance.

1. Lexi says:

She just wants to fly ;)

11. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

Man, I am so with you on this one, Shana. I love Flynn Rider. He’s the man. And I must confess to having a crush on The Beast, in Beauty and The Beast – the Disney version, that is. The library!! How could you not love him with a gift like that?

I kind of like the Beast too (I think he is Prince Adam). He’s kind of an alpha hero.

12. ki pha says:

LOL I love many fictional guys! I thought The Guardians’ Jack Frost was pretty cute. Have you heard of anime? Yea, I love them animes!

13. RobynDeHart RobynDeHart says:

I love Flynn too! And I have to admit that Shan-Yu, from Mulan, made my heart go pitter-pat. Also Robin Hood, yes, the animated one where he’s a fox. Like an actual fox. I think it’s the accent and the devil-may-care attitude, but as a girl, he made me swoon.

14. Kristan Higgins Kristan Higgins says: