fear

Halloween—that special time of year when people love to dress up as deranged murderers, evil demons, blood-dripping zombies, and indulge in their love of horror by wallowing in movies that pretty much scare you stupid.  When it comes to experiencing the thrill of fear, some folks just seem to thrive on it.

Me?  I’m a wimp, and I’m happy to proclaim it loud and proud.  Sure, I loved Buffy and Angel as much as the next gal, but that’s as far as I’m prepared to go in testing the boundaries of my wimpiness.  Full-on horror movies?  Forget it.  I saw The Exorcist on the big screen—and when I say saw I mean I pretty much watched it with my hands over my face—and it made me afraid to be alone in the house for months.  And Texas Chainsaw Massacre…don’t even get me started.

Dark cellars?  Avoid whenever possible.  Strolls through cemeteries after dark?  Please!  Watching a rerun of The Ring with my stepson and his wife?  In your dreams, baby.  For me, the best part of Halloween is definitely the candy.

So trust me when I tell you that working on Lethal Confessions, the romantic suspense I wrote with my husband as VK Sykes, was a true challenge.  That’s because hubby, who wrote the first draft, created a villain so creepy I was practically whimpering with fear while working on those parts of the book.

Nothing says terror like a serial killer, IMHO.  Fortunately, the heroine of Lethal Confessions has courage to spare when it comes to tracking down creepy villains, as does the hero.  It’s one of the reasons I much prefer romantic suspense to horror–in horror novels and movies evil too frequently seems to triumph, while romantic suspense and thriller novels usually see the triumph of good over evil.  For wimps like me, it’s a reassurance that’s sorely needed.

How about you?  Do you love to be scared–and by what–or are you a wimp like me?  One person who comments will win a print or Kindle copy of Lethal Confessions (North America, only).

Lethal Confessions

33 thoughts on “It’s All About The Candy

1. Kristan Higgins Kristan Higgins says:

I ADORE being scared! Watched World War Z last night and was convinced a zombie was in my bathroom later that night…

1. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

Too bad it wasn’t Brad Pitt hiding in your bathroom, Kristan!

2. Mary Anne Landers says:

Thank you, Vanessa. I’m not into horror stories and films because 1) there’s already plenty of that in real life; and 2) to me creatures such as vampires, werewolves, zombies, and demons aren’t scary, just ridiculous.

If I’m going to be scared, I prefer a really tense romantic suspense story. I’m especially fond of old gothics and new works in this vein—full of bizarre, outlandish, yet believable characters, settings, events, and situations. I don’t believe in monsters, but I do believe in people acting monstrously.

Happy Halloween, everyone!

1. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

Mary Anne, I love a good gothic novel and clearly I enjoy romantic suspense, too!

3. Laurie W G says:

I hate being afraid. I do not read scary books or watch scary movies. I’m afraid of snakes, sharks, close dark spaces, darkness, caves, tunnels etc. When I was in 2nd and third grade I took piano lessons. Our old piano was in the basement. I hated practicing down there. I was convinced bad people were watching me from the windows.

I’m an official wimp!

1. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

Laurie, I share many of your fears – I’m definitely in the wimp category!

4. girlygirlhoosier52 says:

Whimpy, whimpy, whimpy!!! That’s me.

1. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

LOL! We should start a club.

5. Jesse Hayworth Jesse Hayworth says:

I didn’t think I liked being scared until Arizona and I got together. I rented some apocalyptic thriller or another and it left him with a ‘must … protect … family …’ twitch for a few days after. Whoops!

1. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

Jesse, I hope he didn’t go out into the backyard and start building a bunker!

1. Jesse Hayworth Jesse Hayworth says:

Fortunately, no! Though he would’ve cheerfully moved to the top of a mountain somewhere. Our compromise was a house near civilization, but high on a hill and with a fresh water supply- LOL.

6. I adore a good scary movie or book…though I have no idea why. I’m not much for the blood and gore kind, though. I like the ones that just set your spine on edge, like the old version of The Haunting. The Ring, though–that was almost too much for me. I think I get less tolerant of total terror as I get older! :)

1. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

Kathleen, I have much less tolerance than I used to, which is saying something. I used to be able to watch creep-factor movies like The Haunting (fab movie) and make it through it. Now, I’d probably be a wreck!

7. jcp says:

I hate being afraid and horror movies

I hear you, jcp!

I do not like to be scared. I’m with you. I don’t want the creepy stuff in my head. I like to read it, if I must, because then I can always close the book or imagine it as not so bad.

1. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

I have a VERY active imagination, Shana, so stuff stays in my head for a long time!

9. Melody May says:

I think the wimps need to unit. I hate being scared. I freaked out when my husband and I went and saw I AM LEGEND. Rabid zombies creep me out, so much so that whenever I would workout at 4am I ran to my car locked the door and turn on all the lights and hurry to the base, because they would protect me. Let me tell you it took me months to recover.

1. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

That has certainly happened to me, Melody May! Scary movies + dark night = wimpy Vanessa!

I love scary movies and books. Stephen King comes to mind lol. I’d much rather be scared in the safety of a good book or movie where my mind knows it’s not really happening to me. Real life is scarier!

1. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

Yes, real life can be pretty scary, catslady!

11. Diane Sallans says:

I like to be a little bit scared. I find things that are real to life are scarier than “monsters” which I know are fake.

1. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

I’m okay with wee bits of being scared, Diane. And for some strange reason, zombies don’t scare me. I love The Walking Dead.

1. Diane Sallans says:

Maybe because they aren’t real. (they aren’t real, are they?!)

12. Sandra Marshall says:

I’m definitely a wimp. I was scared to death of the original King Kong movie, and I look at it now it’s so fake. lol

1. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

LOL! You know, I probably was, too, when I was a kid, Sandra. It must have been all the Faye Wray screaming.

13. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

I’m a total wimp. If I watch something scary, I always dream about it that night.

Me, TOO!!

14. LSUReader says:

I little bit of fright is good every now and then. Thanks for the post and giveaway. Happy Halloween.

Same to you, LSU Reader!

15. ki pha says:

LOL Vanessa, you make me laugh! I totally love scary and horror films! Although I hate zombie films these days, too over rated now along with vampire and shifters, but I love everything else scary. Murders, exorcist, ghost, etc~

1. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

*shudder* You’re a better woman than I am, Ki!

16. Michelle Fidler says:

I love to watch true ghost stories and last night I watched part of Freddy vs. Jason. I don’t like horror movies to be too gross. I actually prefer the psychological horror. I like vampires and werewolves but zombies are just too ugly to look at. I figured that out after watching Warm Bodies … no more zombie movies for me (except I may watch World War Z sometime).