Katherine Garbera
Katherine Garbera

Jaunty Post, Katherine Garbera

My latest series from Harlequin Desire features a rivalry/feud, which is a nice basis for a series of books. The set-up lends itself to lots of natural conflict but also a lot of fun situations for writing.  I was inspired to write the series after one of our many trips to Stratford-Upon-Avon.

ImageWhat made the stories so much fun was the fact that we are human and nothing makes me want to do something more than being told I can’t.  So if I were a Chandler girl and I was told by my grandfather that all the Montrose boys were off limits, I’d be the type of person who’d spend hours pursuing them.

I have always been contrary in that way and I have to be honest and admit it’s gotten worse over the years.  As soon as I hear you can’t do that or that’s impossible something inside of me perks up and accepts the challenge.

The thing is and this is what I sort of used for Cari in HIS INSTANT HEIR is that I’m not a rebel.  I’m a good girl and I like following the rules. So every once in a while I bite off more than I can chew by dealing with these two differing impulses inside of myself.

What about you, are you the type of person who likes to follow the rules?  Or as soon as you hear someone say it can’t be done, do you go ahead and do it just because.  :)
9780373732623

I have a couple of copies of His Instant Heir to give-away today on e-book just leave a comment to be
entered to win.

25 thoughts on “Yes, I Can!

1. marypreston says:

I do tend to follow the rules – in general, but I’m always up for the challenge.

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

Mary–I like following the rules too so I find a way to get creative at times when I simply must break them. :)

2. Mary Anne Landers says:

Thank you for your post, Katherine. I’ve broken quite a few rules in my time. I’m breaking a big one right now, by writing romances according to what I consider romantic, rather than according to what the market demands.

But I’ve never flauted convention simply out of defiance, to break the rules just because I’m not supposed to. There’s always a deep, meaningful reason. There had better be, because the price of defiance is steep. I can’t go on without something that makes it all worthwhile.

Mary Anne;

Thanks for your thoughts. I do agree that breaking the rules just to do it isn’t the best idea. For me it’s more like someone saying mom’s don’t jump off the high dive…then I’m like this mom does. :)

Oh, I’m a rule follower. I mean, I don’t follow them blindly or without thinking, but I don’t like to go against them.

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

I get a sick feeling in my stomach whenever I break a rule like going on the express lane when I know I have one item too many.

4. Rochelle says:

As much as it pains me to say it, I am a rule follower. Not sure why, but I just feel like I have to do as is asked. Awful I know!

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

Rochelle–I get it. Rules give us parameters and we think if we stay within them we will be safe. :)

5. Alexisa N says:

I follow the rules, but I know my limits and have done things just to show someone I can after they told me I couldn’t. I’m the only person who limits me. And if it can be done hey challenges help you grow.

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

Alexisa–I can totally relate. My mom says from the time I could talk I would tell anyone who would listen they weren’t the boss of me. I’m still that way. :)

6. girlygirlhoosier52 says:

Rule follower… but I’m the last kid and saw what happened when you didn’t follow the house rules..

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

My middle sister always tells our youngest sister that she should thank her for breaking our parents in. :)

I’ve probably followed the rules more than not but not quietly and every once in a while I get very stubborn – and it sure depends on who is making the rules!! A small example was we were all talking about not wearing white after Labor Day. I use to listen to that until I realized that it was ridiculous.

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

catslady–I totally agree with this. Sometimes I get too focused on following rules because I’m a good girl and then I realize how silly the rule is to begin with.

8. Crystal Broyles says:

I tend to follow the rules. I am cautious about doing something that might have serious consequences.

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

Crystal–me too. I try to never be stupid about breaking rules or proving my own strength. :)

9. Nancy Robards Thompson Nancy Robards Thompson says:

Kathy, your series sounds fabulous! I love that dueling aspect of your personality. I
    think one of the reasons we’re such good friends is that I’m like that, too.
    I’m 99% rule-follower, but when someone tells me I can’t do something (and I know
    I can), I love to prove I CAN! :)

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

Nancy–That is probably why we are such good friends. Who else would help appropriate a roll-away bed??? :)

10. Kristan Higgins Kristan Higgins says:

I love and honor rules unless they don’t make sense. Then I just ignore them. Not in a rebellious way; just in a logical way. Like Spock. : )

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

I thought I’d notice your keen logic, Kristan and maybe some pointy ears. :)

11. Marcy Shuler says:

I’m a rule follower. But like you, Katherine, when someone tells me I can’t do something I’m likely to try to prove them wrong. LOL

Marcy–go us!!!! :)

12. Virginia says:

I guess I am one that doesn’t follow the rules. It you tell me I can’t do something I will try anyway.

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

Virginia–It is kind of a powerful incentive when someone says you can’t. :)

13. I think I might be a bit like you, Kathy! Because of Sister Alice in my convent-school days, I am very uncomfortable breaking too many rules. But (probably because of my wild-tiger, unconventional mother) on the inside I’m such a rebel it would, and frequently does, shock most of the people who know me.