Katherine Garbera
Katherine Garbera

Katherine Garbera

Dr-Who-logoMy first memories of Dr. Who are seeing some episodes on PBS on a weekend afternoon.  It involved a guy dressed really funny (to me) who spoke in an accent I had a bit of trouble understanding and when my mom said to turn the TV off and go  outside I wasn’t that bothered.

Fast forward a few years and I’m watching BBC America and this show comes on with Chris Eccelston and a companion called Rose.  She’s clearly in love with him and he’s a hard man–who has lost everything and lives by his own code.  I am instantly hooked. He’s the kind of hero I love and I like the romance between him and Rose.  And I watch like three episodes when all of a sudden he’s dying…what?!

He regenerates, which is totally cool and really builds that romantic conflict for Rose because the man she loves now has a different face, a different personality and though he remembers her he’s not in love with her yet.  I was a little reluctant to accept David Tennant as the Doctor but he won me over and that love story continued to grow until Rose was the one who left.  There were new adventures and new companions and I enjoyed them all watching the tortured hero until once again he regenerated into a new face and a new person I was sure I wouldn’t like but eventually did.  Now he’s regenerating again and there will be another new Doctor who I’m not sure I’ll like…but I see the pattern and know I will eventually love him.

It’s been 50 years since the Doctor first made his appearance and he’s changed and grown over that time.  Have you been a long time Dr Who fan? Who’s your favorite Doctor?

28 thoughts on “Dr Who

1. marypreston says:

I’m a big Christopher Eccleston fan, so he will always be my favorite. Short lived though he was as the Dr.

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

Me too, Mary. My daughter doesn’t get it, but he had that rough edge that I really love. :)

2. Jesse Hayworth Jesse Hayworth says:

Hm … gotta confess that I watched the original as a kid (SCARF = WANT!), but haven’t tried out the current series. It may be time to invest in some episodes and see what the fuss is about. You think?

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

Yes, Jesse, the new Doctors have been very good and the story lines are really compelling. :)

I watch it intermittently. I used to watch it on PBS at a friend’s house, alte at night when we’d have sleepovers.

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

It’s Doctor Who fever here in the UK, Shana. :)

4. Vanessa Kelly Vanessa Kelly says:

I have to confess that I’ve never watched Dr. Who, which is probably weird since I’m a huge SciFy fan. But I love David Tennant – he was amazing in Broadchurch.

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

Vanessa–he’s really good in Doctor Who. You should check it out. I really love the season with Donna Noble. :)

5. Lorelei's Lit Lair says:

Hi Katherine! I haven’t seen the series, but you had me at the second paragraph. Now I’ll go search and watch! Where do I start? BTW, I love the new look of JQ!

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

Start with Christopher Eccleston that’s when they re-launched it. But if you don’t want to go that far back definitely watch some of the ones with David Tennant.

1. Lorelei's Lit Lair says:

Gotcha! ;) Thanks!

6. Kristan Higgins Kristan Higgins says:

David Tennant was the best, I thought. But I have to say…I never liked Rose. She brought zilch to the table, other than those terrifying teeth of hers and sycophantic adoration. My son will chastise me for saying this later on. : ) He loves Rose.

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

I liked that Rose loved the Doctor and her parents were funny. But I really loved Donna. Did you like her?

7. Nancy Robards Thompson Nancy Robards Thompson says:

Believe it or not, I’ve never seen Dr. Who. But I do know that those who watch are devoted fans.

Shame on you! :)

8. Oh, Kathy, you know how I feel about Ten! :) I never watched the old Doctor Who. I was way too square….too busy watching things like Upstairs, Downstairs. Then my daughter, who is my infallible guide into the Cool World, told me I really, really needed to give DW a try. She knew, you see, that I would fall in love with David Tennant. And, of course, I did. :) But I know what you mean about Eccelston–he was terrific, too! I even got all warm and squishy about Matt Smith after I quit crying about losing Tennant. Love, love that you brought DW up today! I’ll carry the little glow around all day!

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

Kathleen–DW is our shared addiction. It’s funny that we both share it with our daughters too. :)

9. Gail Delaney says:

I saw “Who is your favorite Doctor?” and had to come over.

I watched Classic Who as a kid on PBS, and loved Tom Baker. When I heard in 2005 they were bringing back DW, I was ecstatic. I watched “Rose” and was 110% hooked!

I love both Chris Eccleston and David Tennant, but for very different reasons. If I had to choose, I would choose Chris. But honestly, I love both. I love the wounded hero. Nine wore his wounds like he wore his beaten leather jacket, while Ten hid them behind a manic smile.

I have watched about 5 episodes of Matt Smith as Eleven, but he holds no interest for me. It’s not as much him as the change in the show when David Tennant and Russell T. Davies left. I didn’t care for the few episodes Stephen Moffat wrote when Davies ran the show, and when he took over, I was more than unhappy.

I’m considering trying to show again with Peter Capaldi coming on board. I’ve heard Stephen Moffat is stepping back to focus on Sherlock and other projects (Love his writing on Sherlock, just hate his writing and such on DW), so there may be hope yet. And Peter Capaldi (like David Tennant) is a lifelong Doctor Who fan. I think that makes a difference in the role.

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

Gail–thanks for stopping by. I think the tenor of the show changed too. I really liked Rory and he made the Matt Smith Doctor work for me. I love the episodes that Neil Gaimon wrote.

10. Manda Jane Ward says:

Well I’m English, and when I was old enough to watch Dr Who, it was at the regeneration of John Pertwee into Tom Baker. However, I did enjoy David Tennant, and also Matt Smith’s interpretation of him (an old man’s mind in a young body). The mad professor bit as well really made me laugh. Looking forward though to seeing how Peter Capaldi is as the new Doctor though. I’m a bit of a ‘whovian’

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

Manda Jane–are you excited for the lost episodes? I can’t wait to see what they do with Peter Capaldi.

1. Manda Jane Ward says:

I read Steven Moffatt has told him to keep the Scottish accent. Yay! I think I may start to watch the old episodes. So looking forward to seeing the drama about how they came up with Doctor who.

11. Kathleen O'Donnell says:

I have never watched Dr. Who.. and I don’t plan to start…

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

It is a bit of an acquired tastes, Kathleen. :)

12. Susan Terral says:

I’m a big Doctor Who fan. I came to the series late and had a wonderful marathon session before watching the new episodes during the time of David Tennant. I would say he is still my favorite.

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

He was so good. I love watching his episodes. :)

13. Sandi Bixler says:

I am totally in love with Doctor Who. Started watching the new series with the first Chris E episode and was hooked. Have all the new series on DVD and every doctor brought something to that show that I loved – but gotta say David Tennant will always be my fav. I was a total fangirl when I went to the Doctor Who exhibit in London while on vacation. It was the only stop I insisted on while there.

1. Katherine_Garbera Katherine_Garbera says:

Sandi–we’ve been to Cardiff to the big Dr Who exhibit there. It was so much fun. :)