“Show me the money.”
“I’ll be back.”
“Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.”
I bet every single one of you can name the movies those great lines come from. I bet some of you use them now and then, in your real lives—maybe even adding the accents. They’re so famous that we could say them to people who didn’t speak English and still get a laugh.
But most of us also adopt other great lines from films, books, commercials and songs that are special to our families and friends but might not be so easily recognized by the rest of the world. In fact, if we quoted these gems in front of strangers we might get some bewildered, suspicious looks. But for us, they have become shorthand ways of communicating volumes!
These are some of the lines that have become legend in our house. Do you recognize any of them? (Or are we as weird as I suspect?) I’ll put the answers at the bottom of the post. ☺ (Warning, if you’re very young, you may be lost. Some of these go way back!)
1) “I’m better when I move.”
2) “See my wiggle, my twist, my forbidden dance!”
3) “Too many notes.”
4) “Nice plant. BIG.”
5) “I will find you. No matter how long it takes. No matter how far. I will find you.”
7) “Timey wimey.”
8) “Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you!”
9) “Usually one must go to a bowling alley…”
10) “Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.”
And here’s a bonus line–a really, really old one! I won’t put the answer to this one on the key at the bottom, but extra credit to anybody who can place it. (In your heart, you’ll know if you had to Google it…)
11) “Don’t look, Ethel!”
We have dozens of others—sometimes I think we could have very meaningful conversations made entirely of movie quotes. Any of you do that, too? What great lines do you and your family love to quote?
Okay…here are the answers!
1) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
2) 1997 Starburst commercial
4) Little Shop of Horrors
5) Last of the Mohicans
6) The Graduate
7) Doctor Who
8) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
10) Wizard of Oz