Katherine Garbera
Katherine Garbera

Jaunty Post, Katherine Garbera

old-tvWhen I was growing up (I shouldn’t admit to this) but we had two TVs in our house a big color TV in the living room and a little black and white TV in our kitchen that had to be “warmed up” before the picture could be seen clearly. My mom was really strict about how much TV we could watch and what type of stuff we watched. We didn’t see many cartoons and my parents made all of the TV choices in our house.

After school my mom would allow one 30 minute show on the little black and white TV and usually it was The Brady Bunch. Then the TV was off and it was homework or playing outside time. My mom was also a huge fan of sending us outside to play, which I’m grateful for because she forced my sisters and I to make stuff up. I think that’s why I like writing and telling stories. :)

Then after dinner we’d all grab our pillows and my sisters and I would lay on the floor in front of the TV in age order. I’m still not sure why we did that but we’d line up oldest to youngest and dad would turn on the big color TV and we’d watch our show for the night.

images-9

I grew up with Family Ties and Growing Pains and The Cosby show. So I’m really looking forward to catching The Michael J. Fox Show and The Crazy Ones.

We also watched the A-Team, which we loved. My sisters and I sometimes played that we were the S-Team in our backyard. Our last name was Smith… This season I’m looking forward to a couple of action packed shows Sleepy Hollow (It’s not in the UK yet!) and The Blacklist. I have had a major crush on James Spader, well since I was watching TV at my parents’ home on the living room floor. :)

Because I love fairytales and am addicted to Once Upon A Time I’m also really excited about it’s return and the spin-off Once Upon A Time: Wonderland. There is a show staring in the UK called Atlantis that also looks really good.7c972466-6d5b-4479-86cf-87529366a896

Okay, I seem to have a full calendar of TV watching ahead of me. What are you looking forward to?

20 thoughts on “It’s TV Time!!!

1. I’m looking forward to Downton Abbey! It’s so unfair that Americans have to wait until January while you Brits are enjoying it now. ;) Also, I just started watching the new season of The Voice. My Facebook buddy, Sue, told me about it and we agreed to watch it and compare notes. Oh! This is the final season of How I Met Your Mother. It, too, just started and I’m enjoying it. I’ll be sad to bid Barney and friends adieu.

1. Nancy–it is funny how invested we get in shows and in the characters and how we miss them when the shows aren’t there any more. :)

2. Aly P says:

I am a big TV show fan and have at least 10 shows starting :)) I usually leave them for the weekend… I can’t wait though :mrgreen:

1. AlyP. –I’ve done that too sometimes when record a bunch of stuff and then just spend the day in my pjs watching TV. :)

1. Aly P says:

It’s a very bad habit :))

3. Game of Thrones…The Mindy Project…hmm. Can’t think of too much else. What do you think about watching TV on a computer, Kathy? There are a lot of good shows on Netflix these days…

1. Kristan–I was late coming to Game of Thrones and just finished up all three seasons. I can’t wait for the next one.

I do watch a lot of US shows through iTunes. We have the Apple TV and it interfaces with our TV. Some of the network sites won’t let you view outside of the US which stinks. :)

4. Thank you for your post, Katherine. I don’t have a TV connection, so I can’t watch anything. But if I get the time, I’d love to download episodes of “Downton Abbey”.

For a while when I was in my teens, my whole life revolved around watching TV. Thank goodness that phase didn’t last!

1. Mary Anne, you should definitely watch some Downton Abbey. It’s really good. :)

5. Eve Gaddy says:

Great post, Katherine! I can’t wait for NCIS! It’s on tonight. I can’t imagine the show without Ziva. Also waiting for The Big Bang Theory. Love that show.:)

1. Eve–me too. I can’t wait to see what they do with Ziva as she’s leaving and I LOVE Big Bang Theory. It doesn’t start over here until November I might have to buy it on iTunes. :)

6. Kathleen Kathleen says:

What fun! TV has gotten so good that I’m awful glad there’s no one in my life powerful enough to limit my viewing hours! ;-)

I’ve got my fingers crossed that the Jonathan Rhys Meyers “Dracula” will be good–loved the Tudors and can’t wait to see him bring that intensity to a story I’ve loved so long.

I’m intrigued by Sleepy Hollow, because Ichabod is yummy, although the story got weird really fast in episode one. Weird’s good most of the time, but this almost went too far for me. I’m mourning this week’s finale of Broadchurch…you’ve already seen the end over there, of course, so don’t tell me who did it! :)

I had been holding my breath waiting for Castle to resume…and finally got my fix last night! Wow, what a super episode! :)

1. Kathleen–I think Dracula looks interesting too. I do know how Broadchurch ends and I’ve been on strict instructions from my daughter not to spill the beans. :) I also can’t wait for Dr. Who and Sherlock.

7. Katherine, my parents were strict with the TV watching when we were growing up, too. And like your house, there was a small black and white TV in the kitchen for my mother, and the big color one in the family room. There were certain shows we could all watch together – Ed Sullivan, Carol Burnett – and then each of the five kids got to pick one big show a week to watch. Sounds pretty funny now! As for the new crop of shows, hubby and I are enjoying Sleepy Hollow, and I’m looking forward to the return of Gray’s Anatomy and Person of Interest.

1. Vanessa–I’m so glad I wasn’t the only one. I haven’t seen Person of Interest but I’m thinking about watching it. :)

I’m looking forward to the day I get to watch TV again. Usually my daughter is allowed to watch about 30 minutes of TV before bed. She watched Mickey Mouse or Word Girl or Care Bears. By the time I get her to bed, finish up emails, etc., there’s no time for TV. I did watch 60 Minutes last night. We have about 20 taped and in the queue to watch. Pretty exciting, right?

1. Shana, my dad calls it “42 Minutes” because that’s how long it takes him to watch one that’s DVRed. He zaps through the commercials. :)

9. Sandi in OH says:

The only show I watch right now is NCIS. That is until Rizzoli and Isles and Major Crimes return.

Castle is my number one show and the season premier show was last night – they left a cliffhanger arrghh. I also watch Suvivor and DWTS. We watch a lot of the History channel and the like lol.

11. CateS says:

You may not have ‘Sleepy Hollow’, but all us Downton Abbey fans in the USA are soooooooooo green with envy!!