Shana Galen
Shana Galen

family, Shana Galen, sports, to-do list

I remember when I looked forward to weekends. I loved Saturdays in particular. Friday I was tired after teaching all week. Friday was a good night for Ultimate Sporstfan and I to get frozen yogurt, watch a few shows we’d recorded on the DVR, and fall asleep on the couch.

soft-ice-cream-50845_640

Saturday was for sleeping in, going out to brunch, reading all afternoon, and then dressing up for dinner and a night out. Sunday was for church, if we hadn’t had too much fun the night before, and a long afternoon nap.

I miss those days.

birthday-50808_150

Now weekends are a blur of activity.  This past weekend we were invited to no fewer than 4 parties, I had a booksigning, I had to attend a friend’s booksigning, and we had to go to the grocery store, dry cleaners, wash clothes, and clean the house. I did not even have time to read much less check my email. Sunday night as I fell into bed, all of that email in my inbox on my mind, I wailed, “What happened to weekends? I actually look forward to Mondays!”

postbox-15502_150

It’s true. What kind of person looks forward to Mondays? I guess writers with children and husbands look forward to Mondays. Lovely Mondays when the husband goes back to work, the kid goes back to school, and the routine begins again. It’s just the cats and me. I have a handful of dishes to watch, plenty of time to write (well, really there’s never enough time to write), and a house not filled with the sound of football blasting from the TV.

How long have I known I had to write this blog? Weeks. When am I writing it? Monday. See? Monday is the day works gets done, pages are written, houses are cleaned, home cooked meals are prepared, inboxes are cleaned out, and diets begin.

What are your weekends like? Do you look forward to Friday or Monday?

23 thoughts on “Weekends Are Not for the Weak

1. Mondays are my day. I do look forward to them because I can get so much done. :)

Me, too! I almost think Tuesdays are even more productive for me because I have to do so much catching up on Mondays. I know Fridays are a wash.

2. Mia Marlowe says:

I look forward to weekends because the DH says he’s practicing for retirement on them. We purposely do pretty much nothing. It’s a tough job but someone has to do it.

Seriously though, as a people we Americans are working ourselves to death–even in our recreation. There’s definitely a case to be made for stringing up a mental hammock and collapsing into it for a while.

So true, Mia! I don’t feel like my recreational time is very relaxing.

3. Thank you, Shana. I work every day of the week, and don’t look forward to any of them. Rather, I look forward to the day when I can make a living by doing what I want to do, rather than by doing what I now do merely to survive.

It’s hard when you have to work every day. I do too most of the time, but it’s different when it’s by choice and not by necessity. Although if I put off my pages too long, it is a necessity.

4. Both, I think, Shana. I do love sleeping past 5:35, that’s for sure. But yes, there’s a clean feeling to Mondays for me too!

I’m more likely to sleep past 5:35 on the weekdays, Kristan. I do like the start of something new!

5. Sue Gorman says:

I look forward to Sundays. I work Monday- Friday. Saturdays are jam packed; errands, grocery shopping, cleaning , church and maybe squeezing in a walk with the dogs. On Sundays, I try to relax. I read, bake, cook Sunday supper and spend time with my husband and the dogs on our front porch. The peace and quite prepares me for another work week.

Sue, it sounds like your Saturdays are a lot like mine. I need to find a way to clear my calendar on Sundays.

6. CateS says:

I’m retired, so everyday is a Saturday. The nicest thing is ‘not having to grocery shop’ on the busy weekends!!

So true, Cate! My husband went last night because we were so busy this weekend. I think he noticed the difference.

7. eap says:

I keep Sundays as my do nothing day. I recommend to anyone who can. I also try to do any calls to businesses before 7:30am (those that have voice mail) such as the pharmacy for refills, etc.

EAP, I would do everything that early if I could. I wish everything opened at 8 a.m. They could close at 4 for all I care.

8. Lisa Hutson says:

We do make a lot of effort to keep the activity to a minimum. Well, there is always something to do here. But going out into the world, no, we try to do that as little as possible.

Lisa, I completely understand that. And Monday Baby Galen was quite adamant that she wanted to stay home all day. I think even she was ready for some quiet time at home. Well, quiet for her.

I do look forward to getting back to my routine with husband back to work lol. I am a night owl and he isn’t so I get less sleep on weekends. But I usually do family Sunday dinners so Monday’s are clean up days (I am one of those women that can leave dirty dishes until the next day lol).

catslady, I say if you cook, your husband should do the dishes–but that’s another post. I feel like I get less sleep on weekends too. My husband is also a night owl and stays up later when he doesn’t have to be up for work.

10. Now that I’m an empty nester, I LOVE Mondays and the peace and quiet that they bring. I get so much more done! Great blog, Shane!

Nancy, I think there is just something nice about a return to routine, no matter the stage of life.

11. Shana, I can SO relate to this. Stores seem so much more crowded on the weekends now, as does just about everything else – we won’t step foot in the supermarket unless we have to. I much prefer Mondays now – when life is back to normal!

We always seem to have to go to the grocery store, but I try to go during the week. A lot of shopping is pushed to weekends. Thank goodness for online.

12. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Shana,

As a writer I look forward to the weekdays, when my husband is at work and my schedule is my own and back into a routine.

Great post!