doppelgängers

How They Met Themselves, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, watercolor, 1864

Not long ago the Norwegian and I were out for dinner when a complete stranger approached me and asked if I had seen the show Breaking Bad. I hadn’t, but he told me that Anna Gunn, the woman who plays Skyler White on the show, was my doppelgänger.

Anna Gun

I looked her up when I got home. I could see a vague resemblance in the photograph. Of course, it piqued my curiosity about the show, especially since it has garnered so many awards. I started watching it and now I joke that I have a serious meth addiction. Really, I don’t. And I know drug addiction is no laughing matter, but the show’s writing is incredible and the acting is superb… But I digress.

Anna Gunn

They say everyone has a double. I guess mine might be Anna Gunn – sort of. We’re not identical. Our noses are completely different, and once I started watching the show and saw a more dimensional version of the actress, I thought she and I resembled each other less. Sometimes I think mannerisms and certain expressions make people similar even if they don’t look alike. In fact, that’s one of the story lines in my book, Celebration’s Baby, which will be out in April 2014.  A secondary character, Maya, lost the love of her life years ago. He died in an accident and she hasn’t been able to love since. Fast forward years later, a man who reminds her of her old love shows up. She can’t decide if she’s attracted to him because he reminds her of her dead lover or if her heart is truly ready to love again.

He’s not exactly a doppelgänger, not in the true sense of the word. Then again, the meaning of the word has changed over the years. In folklore, doppelgängers are perceived as sinister versions of a person – an evil twin. In the old days, when you saw your doppelgänger, it was a harbinger of bad luck or an omen of death.

doppelgangers himym collage-But, of course, the contemporary meaning of doppelgänger is simply a look-alike. Doppelgängers are a running gag through the sitcom How I Met Your Mother: at one time or another, the characters have spotted uncanny look a likes of each other, except for Barney (Neil Patrick Harris’s character). The absence of his doppelgänger is used as a significant plotline, which I won’t spoil in case you haven’t seen the show and want to.

Who’s your doppelgänger?

***********************************************************************

Celebration's Bride

Celebration’s Bride is available now!

RT Book Reviews gives Celebration’s Bride 4.5 stars and says, “Thompson’s reality TV show setup rocks the pages with its quirky cast.  Her couples’ imperfections make them realistic and alluring….”

Coming soon:

Celebration’s Family - February 2014

Celebration’s Baby - April 2014

25 thoughts on “Let’s Talk About Doppelgängers

1. Mia Marlowe says:

My doppleganger is Ali MacGraw. Remember her from Love Story? I think it’s the eyebrows…

1. I can see it, Mia! Now, I have the Love Story theme stuck in my head. :)

People tell me I look like Helen Hunt all the time. Strangers I don’t even know walk up to me and tell me that. I don’t really see it.

1. Mia Marlowe says:

I don’t either. You’re much prettier!

2. I agree with Mia that you’re much prettier, Shana. However, I do see resemblance.

3. Laurie G says:

When I was younger people thought I looked like Barbara Hershey.

1. Laurie, it’s so much fun having an idea of what you look like. Now, I will always picture Barbara Hershey when I read your comments.

4. Kathleen Kathleen says:

Wow, she does look like you, Nancy! I haven’t met that character yet, so I can’t say how she looks in action, but the picture…amazing! Love the trivia about the older meaning of the word, too. Very cool!

1. Thanks, Kathleen! :)Skyler is Walter White’s wife. He’s the high school chem teacher turned meth cook.

1. Kathleen Kathleen says:

LOL…okay, then I have met her. How weird! I would never have placed her from that picture. OTOH, I may have been blinded by how much that picture looks like you!

5. Mom on the Run says:

I’ve been told I look like Kyra Sedgewick and Kirstie Alley.

6. When I was younger, people thought I looked like Judy Garland. When I was in my early twenties, for some demented reason, I got a perm for a full-out Afro. I think I pretty much looked like Gerry Garcia from The Grateful Dead. There’s obviously a musical theme to my Dopplegangers, Nancy!

1. Vanessa, I’m trying to picture you rocking a fro! If anyone could do it, I’ll bet you could. But Gerry Garcia…? Me thinks not. You’re much too pretty.

1. It was a very scary ‘fro, Nancy!

7. RobynDeHart RobynDeHart says:

Wow, Nancy, y’all do look alike!

When I was younger I got Candace Cameron all the time! More recently I’ve gotten Erika Christensen, but I think only when she wears her hair darker & curly.

1. Robyn, I see shade of both actresses in you. :)

8. I’ve always thought that, Nancy! She DOES look like you! I don’t have a doppleganger, unless you count, “My wife’s cousin,” as in, “Hey! Aren’t you my wife’s cousin?” I get that a lot, for some reason. A familiar face, I guess. : )

9. Ruth says:

Fun post, Nancy. I also think you are prettier than your doppelganger. I’ve been told I look a little like Genevieve Bujold. Personally, I think I’m more like Howie Mandel.

1. Aw, Ruth, thank you! I can definitely see the Genevieve resemblance. You’re both very beautiful.

10. Thank you for your post, Nancy. Do I have a doppelganger? I hope not. One of me is plenty!

11. Mary Anne, the world would be an even better place with more people like you. :)

12. Kay says:

fyi in How I Met Your Mother they found all of the doppelgangers Barny’s is Lillys Doctor and Ted is the Mexican Wrestler

13. Pingback: Homepage