Confession time.  I have a fan girl crush on someone half my age.  Nothing for hubby to worry and it’s totally platonic, if slightly bizarre.  So who is it?  Jennifer Lawrence, aka Katniss Everdeen.  If I could be reincarnated as anybody in the world it would probably be her, and here’s why:

She said this:

“If I don’t have anything to do all day, I might not even put my pants on.”

How could a writer not love that?

She also said this:

JL2

Gotta love a girl who has no problem admitting her love for french fries.  I also like that she laughed off criticism that she was “too fat” to star in The Hunger Games, and went on to criticize Hollywood’s obsession with super-thin girls and women.

She looks great–healthy instead of painfully thin.

JL3

And even though she rocks an evening gown, she can still do this–just like a normal person!

JL4

It’s apparent she doesn’t take the glamorous life too seriously, as is evidenced by this comment:

JL5

She’s even capable of demonstrating archery in a designer dress, which is something I think we can all aspire to.

JL6

Finally, she can make a fashion faux pas just like the rest of us and not really give a hoot – obviously, because this outfit is crazy.

JL7

From all accounts Jennifer is funny, smart, and pretty darn unpretentious.  She’s also a really good actress.  In fact, I wish she could star in a movie version of my third book, My Favorite Countess, because she exemplifies (in my mind, anyway) the heroine of that book.  But while I’m waiting for her to fit that project into her schedule, I’ll just have to make do with the next installment in The Hunger Games

Do you have any secret crushes, Hollywood or otherwise?  Let me know, and one person who comments will win a copy of My Favorite Countess.

My Favorite Countess 1

And, seriously, doesn’t Jennifer kind of look like my heroine?!

48 thoughts on “My Secret Crush

1. Ada says:

I have a girl-crush on Jennifer Garner. She seems like an excellent person and a real mother to her kids, not just a Hollywood mom. Plus she’s in a Hollywood marriage but they seem like normal people!

1. I loved her in Alias, Ada – such a cool show. And I agree that JG seems like a very down to earth person.

2. Laurie G says:

I admire Tim Tebow. The last couple of years he’s had to deal with a lot of negative publicity concerning the way he throws a football and his devout beliefs and actions.
    He’s a refreshingly honest, caring, faith abiding, young, dedicated, athletic, generous man.

1. Deb says:

I agree with you, Laurie! Good choice.

That’s awesome, Vanessa! I didn’t know all of that about JenniferLawrence. I did like her in The Hunger Games.

1. Shana, Buzz Feed has some great posts on Jennifer’s best quotes, which are really fun to check out. She’s truly a hilarious person.

4. I too have a girl-crush on J-Lawr. Also Tina Fey. And Sandra Bullock, because she refers to Meryl Streep as “my lover.” Loved this post, VK!

1. I love Sandra Bullock too! Funny, and a genuinely decent person.

5. sheryl n says:

I love Sandra Bullock! She is just adorable and so funny. Loved it when she made out with Meryl Streep at that award show!

1. Yeah, she’s a riot, Sheryl!

6. Stefanie D says:

I also love Sandra Bullock. I think she’s a great actress by she also seems to be a great person in real life.

1. Agreed, Stefanie – I hope she finds the happiness she deserves.

7. Deb says:

Well, the woman I admire isn’t a Hollywood star. I think Kate Middleton, the Duchess, is a beautiful and classy woman. She just looks sweet and nice in all of her photos. So, going way back to Hollywood in the Golden Age, the person who also fits that description would be Grace Kelly; sophisticated, beautiful, classy.

1. I love Kate Middleton, Deb! I loved Grace Kelly, too, – I’m from the Philly area so she was a hometown girl – but I think Kate is a warmer, more approachable person. Great role model!

8. Kirsten says:

I don’t have a celebrity crush :( maybe because I need to get to know a person better before crushing on them. It’s different when I’m reading a romance novel. Then I get to know the H/H and at the end of the book feel like I, too, have fallen a little in love with him or her :D or both…

1. I do the same, Kirsten – I have many book boyfriends!

9. eap says:

Michael Douglas although I am his wife’s age

1. I loved Michael Douglas, eap. I still remember how cool he was in The Streets of San Francisco, which really dates me!

I think Jennifer Lawrence is a great choice. I sure hope she doesn’t change. I like actors/actresses that stay out of the limelight except when they are promoting their work – Hugh Jackman, Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks are a few that come to mind.

1. catslady, those are great examples – smart, thoughtful, talented people who know how to make it work.

11. Hannah Roberson says:

One of my celeb girl crushes is Jennifer Lawrence, just watched Silver lining playbook, I loved it. My top girl crush would have to be Zoey Deschanel.

1. Zoey Deschanel is great, Hannah – love her!

12. Marcy Shuler says:

I like Sandra Bullock. She’s just a real girl and seems to have such fun with her characters.

I also like Melissa McCarthy. She’s so funny and has made a big name for herself without using her family connection to her cousin, Jenny McCarthy.

1. *snap* Melissa McCarthy – great choice, Marcy!

13. Kathleen OD says:

I would have to say Sandra Bullock…

14. Barbara Elness says:

My secret crush is Angelina Jolie for many reasons, not the least of which she has Brad Pitt for a partner. :D And yes, I think Jennifer Lawrence would be wonderful to play your heroine.

1. Yes, I think JL would be perfect to play Bathsheba, Barbara!

Betty White

16. LSUReader says:

I always loved Katharine Hepburn. Jennifer Lawrence does look like she’d be a good fit for Bathsheba.

1. I adore Katherine Hepburn, LSU Reader – what a great choice!

17. RobynDeHart RobynDeHart says:

I love Jennifer Lawrence too, but my secret crush would definitely be Emma Stone. I love her for many of the same reasons you mentioned about Jennifer. She’s just a hoot.

1. Emma Stone is an excellent choice, Robyn!

18. Ann s. says:

I love Gwen Stefani, a talented singer and I love her clothes. I wish I looked like she does at 40.

1. Gwen looks great, Ann! She seems like a very interesting person, too.

19. Anita H. says:

Princess Kate is my pick. She seems so normal and genuine. I wish I could be friends with her…and Prince William :!: ;-) (and I’ll take care of baby George :razz: )

1. LOL! Agreed on all your points, Anita – but you have to change any dirty diapers!

20. Linda says:

Jennifer is awesome, =) I don´t really have a crush, but she comes close. Love her!!
    Happy Sunday!
    //Linda

1. She is awesome, Linda!

21. Sharlene Wegner says:

OK, how about her co-star, Liam Hemsworth, who is adorable, but could be my son!

1. He is pretty darn adorable, Sharlene – I like his brother, too!

22. Mary Preston says:

Jennifer Lawrence is amazing. I love her, as well as her acting abilities. She’s a breath of fresh air.

23. Linda says:

The late Audrey Hepburn. Elegance personified. I’ve lost count of the number of times I watched My fair lady.

1. Linda, I was just reading an article about Audrey Hepburn yesterday. She was such a cool lady!

24. Aly P says:

Jennifer Lawrence rocks! She is a great example for… well, everyone :D
    About a secret crush… I don’t think I have any, I tend to be very vocal about them :D :))