Diana Cosby

I’m happy to welcome award-winning historical romance author Diana Cosby to the Jaunty Quills for two reasons.  The first is that she writes great books, and the second is that she’s involved in a very interesting and worthwhile charitable cause.  She’s here to tell us about her books and this very cool project.

You had a distinguished career in the Navy and travelled all over the world. What made you pick Scotland as the setting for your novels?

Hi Vanessa, my sincere thanks for hosting me today.  After writing a viking trilogy, I watched Braveheart, and was intrigued by Scotland’s fight for freedom, so I decided to research and write in this era.

What’s the basis for your bestselling MacGruder series?

The tie in for the best-selling MacGruder brother’s series is the halved stones in the grandmother’s chamber, which they believes hold magic.  I’ve had a blast figuring out new and fun ways for the heroine to ‘leave’ the grandmother’s chamber with the matching half of the respective hero’s gemstone. :)

What can you tell us about your new book?

His Seduction high resolution

His Seduction is Griffin’s story, who is an English lord ‘supposedly’ loyal to King Edward I, but is secretly working for the Scottish rebels known as Wulfe.  Griffin has appeared throughout the series, and I was thrilled to write his story.  He’s known for his quick thinking, skill, and always being in control, so I knew I had to toss him out of his comfort zone – enter Rois. :)  A woman who loves her father and would do anything to protect him, when she believes Griffin is a threat to her father’s life, she risks it all in a brazen confrontation with Griffin, and so the story begins.  For a fun excerpt:

You’re involved in a great project with Habitat for Humanity? Can you give us some info on that?

My sincere thanks for asking.  For several years I’ve volunteered for Habitat For Humanity.  What a fabulous cause and, best, you work alongside potential home owners in helping make their dream of owning a home come true.  Also, as the community comes together to help build the home, the family is blessed by a sincere welcome from their neighbors.

One of my dreams is to sponsor the build of an entire Habitat For Humanity home; romance readers and Habitat For Humanity are both amazing, so I thought, why not pair the two?  Hence, Diana Cosby’s Romance Readers Build A Habitat For Humanity Home was born.

How it works:

As readers send contributions to Habitat for Humanity of Grayson County, the bookshelf will fill with every donation. [http://graysonhabitat.org/]  The goal is to fund an entire home – $55,000.  Send your donation via PayPal using the Donate link in the menu bar or donate funds the old-fashioned way—a check works just fine!

Habitat for Humanity of Grayson County
901 N. Grand Avenue
P.O. Box 2725
Sherman, TX 75091

*Total as of today:  $2115.

Thanks for sharing with us your passion about this wonderful project, Diana!

What are some of your favorite charities or volunteer causes?  One person who comments will win a copy of Diana’s His Captive, from her excellent MacGruder series, and also a copy of my first book, Mastering The Marquess.

Mastering The Marquess

66 thoughts on “Romance Readers Build A Habitat For Humanity House

1. MiaMarlowe MiaMarlowe says:

What a wonderful charity, Diana. There’s nothing like having your own home and Habitat makes it possible for people who wouldn’t otherwise be able to own. Kudos to you, m’dear.

I adore Scottish romance, so your MacGruders sound great to me! Love the idea that your hero is something of a double agent.

1. It’s such a great cause, isn’t it, Mia! Diana also does a food bank drive in the fall – she’s a true inspiration!

1. Diana Cosby says:

Vanessa Kelly Said: It’s such a great cause, isn’t it, Mia! Diana also does a food bank drive in the fall – she’s a true inspiration!

~Vanessa, my sincere thanks for allowing me to visit Jaunty Quills. I love working with Habitat For Humanity, helping the Food Bank, and other causes. Each of us can make such a difference in each other’s life. If anything I do helps awareness for these charities, that’s what it’s about. Have a super day, and I wish you every success!

MiaMarlowe Said:

~Hi Mia, thank you so much for stopping by and for your kind words. Habitat For Humanity is an amazing cause, and I agree, it gives deserving home owners who might not ever have a home that amazing, life-changing opportunity.

~I love, love, love Scottish medieval as well. I’m having a blast writing this series, and I’m SO THRILLED to finally write Griffin’s story. This truly is an amazing and humbling journey. If you check out the MacGruder Brother’s I sincerely hope you enjoy their stories as well. Have a super day, and I wish you the best!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN, Ret.

1. Me too, Shana. I donate to the World Society for the Protection of Animals, and International Fund for Animal Welfare. They’re both great charities.

2. Diana Cosby says:

Shana Said: What a fabulous cover! Great cause, too, Diana. I like animal causes, like the SPCA.

~Hi Shana, thank you very much for stopping by. A huge thanks for all you do to help animal causes. SPCA does so much to be thankful for. I hope you’re having a wonderful summer, and I wish you the best!

1. Diana Cosby says:

Shana, thank you, I love the cover for His Seduction as well. It’s amazing! :) Have a fabulous day!

3. Ti Colluney says:

I love helping great causes, which I guess is why I help disabled people as a support worker. I also rescue small rodents and reptiles.
    I absolutely love your stunning covers of your books!! Wow!! I see so many new books I need to buy now!! Keep up the great work!

1. What an awesome thing to do, Ti – yay for you!! We need more people like you in the world.

2. Diana Cosby says:

Ti Colluney Said: I love helping great causes, which I guess is why I help disabled people as a support worker.

~Ti, thank you very much for stopping by, and I know those disabled appreciate your time and caring. My sincere thanks for all you do to help them.

I also rescue small rodents and reptiles.

~:) Very interesting.

~Thank you very much. I’m thrilled with my book covers, and love, love, love His Seduction. She looks so fierce, which is perfect for my heroine, Rois. If you decide to check out the MacGruders, I hope you enjoy their stories. Take care, enjoy the summer, and I wish you the best!

4. eap says:

Project Cuddle

1. I looked up Project Cuddle, eap. What a cool charity!

eap Said: Project Cuddle

~Thank you very much for stopping by and sharing your charity. Project Cuddle – wow, what an amazing charity. God bless you for helping make such a profound difference is a child’s life.

Take care, and I wish you the best!

5. Kathleen Kathleen says:

Diana, lovely covers and intriguing storylines! Can’t wait to pick one up! And what a fantastic idea to pair your two passions. Habitat for Humanity is such an awesome cause!

1. Kathleen, isn’t that cover A-Mazing?

2. Diana Cosby says:

Kathleen Said: Diana, lovely covers and intriguing storylines! Can’t wait to pick one up!

~Hi Kathleen, I appreciate your stopping by. Thank you so much, I love the covers of the MacGruder Brother’s series. I sincerely hope you enjoy meeting the MacGruder brothers and their stories.

~:) Habitat For Humanity is truly amazing on so many levels. So many deserving families’ lives are changed. Take care and I hope you have a wonderful rest of the summer, and I wish you the best!

6. Linda says:

How awesome of you; I’m ashamed that I don’t contribute much to society but my bent is towards animal charities – the RSPCA or WWF.

1. Sounds to me like you’re contributing, Linda. Those are both awesome charities!

2. Diana Cosby says:

Linda Said: I loved Braveheart too but I’m definitely not talented enough to write any book no matter how inspiring the movie was. I wish tho :p

~Hi Linda, thank you so much for stopping by. Most writers are avid readers. I didn’t begin writing until after I’d retired from the Navy. So, if you’re interested, it’s always an option. :)

~My sincere thanks for helping the RSPCA and WWF. There are so many animals out there that need our help. My two cats, Bad & Brat, are rescue cats. Love them, and I wish that when people are thinking about a new pet, they consider adopting. Take care, enjoy the rest of your summer, and I wish you the best!

7. Cindy Hutcheson says:

1. It certainly does, Cindy – well done!!

2. Diana Cosby says:

Cindy Hutcheson Said: Church, public radio and the Red Cross. (Giving blood is SO easy and really makes a difference in our world!)

~Hi Cindy, I appreciate your stopping by. My sincere thanks for your support to the church, public radio and Red Cross. I agree on giving blood, and I wish more people would consider donating. Red Cross is so amazing on so many levels. Take care, enjoy the rest of your summer, and I wish you the best!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN, Ret.

8. What a fabulous idea (and OMG fab cover)! I don’t have Paypal, but I do have a checkbook :) As for my fave, I volunteer at Beech Brook Equine Rescue here in CT (just got back from a shift, in fact). Rock on to all the awesome folk here at the JQs!

1. Jesse, that sounds so awesome!

2. Diana Cosby says:

Jesse Hayworth Said: What a fabulous idea (and OMG fab cover)!

~:) Good afternoon Jesse. Thank you so much for stopping by and your kind comments. I love the cover as well, she looks so fierce – which is Rois.

I don’t have Paypal, but I do have a checkbook :)

~My humble thanks. Each $1 helps us reach our goal.

~That is such a fabulous cause — thank you for your time there. I’m a huge horse lover, and I used to volunteer at a riding stable when I lived in Alaska. I hope you’re having a great day, enjoy your summer, and I wish you the very best!

9. Molly R. Moody says:

My favorite charitable cause is one done by my church called Neighbors Helping Neighbors. Every Thursday from 9am until 12 noon there’s we have a short church service, hand out lunch, then the people can get toiletries, bus tickets, clothes, and occasionally some groceries. I participate both as a Neighbor and as a volunteer, I work in the clothing section and have been lucky enough to obtain some very nice clothing from the donations. I will continue to help out as long as I can. I’m taking some girls school uniform bottoms with me as a donation on Thursday morning.

1. Bless you, Molly. That’s a wonderful way to help your local community.

2. Diana Cosby says:

Molly R. Moody Said: Since this is a Texas project I will try and contribute but it won’t be before next month.

~Hi Molly, my sincere thanks for stopping by, and another thanks for your future contribution. Romance readers as Habitat For Humanity are amazing, and I know together we can help a deserving family’s dream of a home come true.

~That is so wonderful. My heartfelt thanks for sharing your cause and for making a difference in so many lives. Enjoy the rest of your summer, and I wish you and yours the best!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN, Ret.

10. Diana, bless you for your work with Habitat for Humanity! I’m looking forward to reading Griffin’s story.

1. Diana Cosby says:

Heather Ashby Said: Diana, bless you for your work with Habitat for Humanity!

~Hi Heather, thank you so much for stopping by. I’m honored to be a volunteer for Habitat For Humanity. An amazing foundation, incredible people, and it’s humbling at the many lives that are helped and given hope.

I’m looking forward to reading Griffin’s story.

~I sincerely hope you enjoy His Seduction, I had a blast writing it. :) Enjoy the rest of your summer, and I wish you the best!

11. Stefanie D says:

1. Diana Cosby says:

Stefanie D Said: I’m also a blood donor and I’m thinking about becoming a bone marrow donor (because they can also do that by taking blood these days), but I’m still doubting…

~Hi Stefanie, I appreciate your stopping by. Thank you for being a blood donor and considering becoming a bone marrow donor. Both are so critical to those in need and amazingly, giving blood only takes small time out of your day. Please take care, enjoy your summer, and I wish you the best!

12. Kathleen OD says:

What a wonderful charity.. I know people who have worked for this charity either helping to build the homes or donating money.
    I make sure that every year I donate to The Salivation Army, and The Children’s Wish Foundation and all so to our Sick Children’s Hospital..
    I also give many books I have read to our annual library sale, the money raised goes to help get books for our school libraries around the city I live..

1. Diana Cosby says:

Kathleen OD Said: What a wonderful charity. I know people who have worked for this charity either helping to build the homes or donating money.

~Hi Kathleen, thank you so much for stopping by, and I agree, Habitat For Humanity is wonderful.

I make sure that every year I donate to The Salvation Army, and The Children’s Wish Foundation and all so to our Sick Children’s Hospital.

~Wonderful charities. My sincere thanks for your donations.

~Another excellent cause. Our libraries are so important and for many, it’s their only access to books they enjoy. Again, I appreciate your taking the time to post. Enjoy the rest of your summer, and I wish you the best!

13. Ella Quinn says:

I can’t wait to read your book, Diana! tweeted.

1. Diana Cosby says:

Ella Quinn Said: Habitat for Humanity is a wonderful organization. When my son was 19, we were living in England, so I sent him to Romania to work the Habitat for 3 months.

~Ella, I appreciate your stopping by. Always nice to see another RomVet. Thank you for sharing about your son’s experience in Romania. One day I plan on participating in Habitat For Humanity International and help with a home in Ireland. Can’t wait!

I can’t wait to read your book, Diana! tweeted.

~My sincere thanks, and I hope you enjoy meeting the MacGruders. Take care, and I hope you have an amazing career!!!

14. Carlene says:

Hi Diana, wishing you much success with your books and your work with Habitat. I’m always impressed with the generosity of romance writers in particular whether it’s with the community, other writers or their readers. Thanks for being such a wonderful ambassador for our romance community. My family supports the charities that my father supported when he was alive with annual donations in his honor. Those include Feed the Children, Free to Live Animal Shelter, Toys for Tots, St. Jude’s and the Wounded Warrior programs. Have a great day!

1. Diana Cosby says:

Carlene Said: Hi Diana, wishing you much success with your books and your work with Habitat.

~Hi Carlene, I appreciate your stopping by, and thank you so much for the good wishes. Habitat For Humanity is such an amazing foundation. I’m honored if anything I can do helps them.

~I agree, romance writers and readers are soooo nice and absolutely amazing. I am blessed to be around such incredible people.

Thanks for being such a wonderful ambassador for our romance community.

~My humble thanks.

~Fabulous charities. Once we’ve raised $55K for the Habitat For Humanity home, my next goal is to raise funds for a Wounded Warrior home. As a military brat, retired Navy chief, and having three kids who served or have served in the military, I sincerely appreciate your support and all that the Wounded Warrior program does to take care of our troops. Take care, enjoy your summer, and I wish you the very best!

15. Eileen Dandashi says:

1. Diana Cosby says:

Eileen Dandashi Said: There is a project which is local that I particularly believe is important — human trafficking. You don’t think that it is happening here in the U.S., but it is. People, young girls and women are manipulated to do things that they wouldn’t ordinarily do just to survive. Then they get sucked into an environment that is very hard to get out of. We don’t have to go abroad to find the cruelty that women and girls sometimes endure. It is found right here at home. :sad: I am happy to see that you take your time and money to help a worthwhile cause.

~Hi Eileen, thank you so much for stopping by, and my humble thanks for your support in stopping human trafficking. It’s the 2nd biggest issue after drugs. And you’re right, it’s thriving in the U.S. as well as worldwide. My prayers are that one day all human trafficking is stopped.
      Please take care, and I wish you the very best!

16. Pamela Beech says:

1. Diana Cosby says:

Pamela Beech Said: I contribute to Child Fund International where I sponsor a child. It is wonderful. You actually hear from your child and get progress reports. I have sponsored my child for over ten years and others before her. A great charity.

~Hi Pamela, thank you very much for stopping by, sharing your charity, and for supporting Child Fund International. I love how you hear from your child as well as receive reports as to what they’re up to. My sincere thanks for giving a child hope. I hope you have a wonderful rest of the summer. Take care, and I wish you the very best!

17. Marcy Shuler says:

I like the Red Cross and food pantries.

Your Build-A-House effort is great, Diana, and I love the ‘books’ being added to the shelf with each donation. I was happy to send a paypal donation.

1. Diana Cosby says:

Marcy Shuler Said: I like the Red Cross and food pantries.

~Hi Marcy, thank you so much for stopping by and for your support to these charities. Both Red Cross and the food pantries are amazing causes. To let you know, starting on the 1st of November until the 5th of December, I do an International Food Bank Food Drive. I’ll be updating my website with more information in about a month. (www.dianacosby.com)

~My humble thanks, Marcy, for your donation and support to Habitat For Humanity. It’s sincerely appreciated. *Hugs* Please take care, enjoy the rest of your summer, and I wish you the very best!

18. Barbara Elness says:

I have contribute to Habitat for Humanity in the past, it’s a very worthwhile cause. My favorite charities are the Red Cross, ASPCA and the USO, which I regularly support. We have quite a few charitable opportunities at work (I work at City Hall) and I participate in those as well, including regular blood drives.

1. You’re doing a lot, Barbara – thanks for your volunteerism!

2. Diana Cosby says:

Barbara Elness Said: I have contributed to Habitat for Humanity in the past, it’s a very worthwhile cause.

~Hi Barbara, thank you so much for stopping by, and another thanks for your contribution to HFH. 

~Wonderful charities. I appreciate your helping to make such a positive difference in others’ lives. Enjoy the rest of your summer, and I wish you the best!
      Slainte!

19. sheryl n says:

1. Sheryl, thank goodness for organizations like the Shriner’s, and for wonderful folks like you!

2. Diana Cosby says:

sheryl n Said: I actually have two charities that I love. The first is the Humane Society of South Mississippi. I feel that the animals need a voice, especially the homeless and abused ones. The second is the Shriner’s. My son is a Shriner’s child and they are an amazing group that helps children with burns, orthopedics and other disabilities.

~Hi Sheryl, I appreciate your stopping by. I agree, both are amazing charities – love the Shriners Hospital For Children and the hope they give children. Take care and enjoy the rest of your summer, I wish you the very best!
      Slainte!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN, Ret.

Authors are very generous people!! That is a great charity. I work with ferals/strays and no kill shelters. I also volunteer at our local American Legion. Have to say how much I enjoy historicals, and especially set in Scotland!

1. You’re very generous too, catslady!

2. Diana Cosby says:

catslady Said: Authors are very generous people!! That is a great charity.

~Hi catslady, I appreciate your stopping by and your kind comments. Habitat For Humanity is such a fabulous cause.

~Both wonderful causes. My sincere thanks for your support and time. Did you ever serve in the military?

Have to say how much I enjoy historicals, and especially set in Scotland!

~:) I agree, I’m a huge fan of historicals as well. Soooo many excellent authors to choose from. If you’ve not tried Laurin Wittig, holy cow wonderful!!! Take care, have a super day, and I wish you the best!
      Slainte!

the Red Cross

bn100 Said: the Red Cross

~Thank you so much for stopping by. The Red Cross is amazing, and they do such tremendous help world wide. God bless them. Please take care, enjoy the rest of your summer, and I wish you the best!
      Slainte!

22. Ann s. says:

That is such a great cause, we support a local children’s charity. It is called Child Haven for abused and neglected kids. They are in foster care and the summer camps and basic necessities they supply are priceless.

Ann s. Said: That is such a great cause,

~Hi Ann, I appreciate your stopping by and your kind words. I love supporting and volunteering for the Habitat For Humanity builds. So many levels of amazing!

~Wow, what a great charity. Thank you so much for sharing. *Hugs* Please take care, and I hope you have a wonderful rest of the summer, and I wish you the very best!

Diana Cosby, AGC(AW), USN, Ret.

23. I’ve enjoyed reading Diana Cosby’s work since before she was published and I highly recommend them to readers. Also I can attest to her heart of gold and praise her for her work with Habitat for Humanity. Bless you, Diana! And keep writing those tension-packed, yummy books! Maggie

1. Diana Cosby says:

Maggie Toussaint Said: I’ve enjoyed reading Diana Cosby’s work since before she was published and I highly recommend them to readers.

~*Hugs* Maggie, thank you so much for stopping by. Always wonderful to see you. I’m blessed by your friendship. And, LOVE YOUR STORIES!!!

~My sincere thanks for your kind words. Habitat For Humanity gives people more than wood and concrete, but a home in which they can begin to build dreams. Take care my friend, and I wish you every success!

24. Laurie G says:

My oldest son was very active with Habitat For Humanities while he was a college student at UF.

1. Diana Cosby says:

Laurie G Said: The Children’s Miracle Network and the Wounded Warriors Project are two of my favorite charities.

~Hi Laurie, than you so much for stopping by. Both are fabulous charities. One of my goals is that once funds are raised to build the Romance Readers Habitat For Humanity House, I want to focus on raising funds to build a Wounded Warrior Project home.

~Thank you for sharing, and please thank your son for volunteering. Each time you volunteer to work on a HFH home, in addition to the future home owners, you meet the most amazing people. Please take care, and I wish you the best!

25. Diana Cosby says:

Vanessa,
    My sincere thanks again for having me at Jaunty Quills. I had a wonderful time, and met so many amazing people. Thank each and every one of you for taking time to make a positive difference in so many lives and causes. You truly are a blessing. I wish each of you the very best!
    God bless,

26. Michelle Fidler says:

1. Diana Cosby says:

Michelle Fidler Said: I like animal charities such as North Shore Animal League and Best Friends Animal Sanctuary.

~Hi Michelle, thank you so much for stopping by. I have two rescue cats in my home, and am a supporter of animal charities as well. My sincere thanks for your support! I hope you’re enjoying the summer, and I wish you the best!