Mia Marlowefrom Mia Marlowe…

Stop me if you’ve heard this one.

Erik from Silk DreamsSo this epileptic Norse woman is sold into slavery because her family thinks she’s been witched. She’s transported to ancient Byzantium where she’s bought by a eunuch spymaster. He hopes to convince the world that her “falling sickness” gives her a special window on the spirit world and she’s a seer of great ability. Before she’s placed in a silk trader’s harem to ferret out a plot against the emperor, she’s tutored in Greek by a disgraced Viking in the Varangian guard who falls in love with her and vows to see her free. Then they–

What? You haven’t run across this story?

Hmm. And just a month ago the folks at one prominent review site were saying historical romance was dying because the genre was too narrow and full of familiar tropes.

Granted the historical market is heavy on dashing dukes and debutantes, but that’s because readers love them. And they’re wickedly fun to write. However, for readers who enjoy something out of the ordinary, for those who aren’t put off by stories that aren’t quite safe, there are options out there. May I offer one?

People who live on the ragged edge, like the eunuch in Silk Dreams, fascinate me. They redefine the limits of human experience. A heroine who grapples with epilepsy during the Dark Ages, well, that sort of makes my daily challenges seem piddly. And as bad as those bad boys of the North were, what would a Viking have to do in order to be exiled in disgrace?

All right. I’ll admit it. I love this story and the wildly “not-the-usual-suspect” characters who live in it. Doing the research on 11th century Constantinople satisfied all my history geekness in spades. Interviewing my friend who lives with epilepsy to get that part of the story right was an eye-opener and it’s not often sexual dysfunction is dealt with in a romance, but when there’s a eunuch in the story, it can’t be ignored.

Will Silk Dreams sell like a half dozen dukes at Almack’s? Perhaps not. But that doesn’t mean Valdis and Erik‘s story didn’t need to be told. Love has always been part of the human heart, whether its dressed in a contemporary setting, a phantasmagorical paranormal world or the cruel labyrinth of ancient Byzantium.

So to those readers who love a walk through an unfamiliar world, with a hero and heroine who aren’t “pattern” (a description of conformity that would have been a high compliment in the Victorian Era but for some reason sets my teeth on edge), this story is for YOU!

Silk Dreams

Reviewers say…

“The lush smell of spices, the soft silk of the harem and the intrigue of court life combines as Marlowe sweeps readers into her novel of medieval Constantinople. She crafts a lavish love story that’s as entertaining as it is epic.” ~ RT BOOKReviews

“The colorful and captivating world of ancient Byzantium provides the intriguing setting for Mia Marlowe’s lushly sensual, sumptuously written historical romance.”—John Charles, Chicago Tribune

Available for:

Kindle | Nook | Kobo | Smashwords | AllRomanceEbooks

Here’s my question for you: If you could travel to any time and place, where would you most want to visit? (Don’t worry. This is only armchair travel. I’d never allow you to live for longer than a brief stay in anyplace that didn’t have running water, antibiotics and ebooks!)

19 thoughts on “Out of the Box Romance

1. Mia, I can’t wait to read Silk Dreams! If I could go any place I’d go to Versailles during the reign of Louis XIV. :)

Kathy

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

Thanks, Katherine! We had a day in France when our cruise ship docked at LeHavre in June. We ended up going go Rouen to see Monet’s home, but some of our tablemates went as far as Paris and we overheard one intrepid couple trying to make arrangements to see Versailles on their own. Since the boat won’t wait for you if you’re late, we decided to stay on an arranged tour, but I hope that couple made it to the palace of the Sun King and back!

I’m so impressed, Mia. You had to do a lot of research in a new time period to do this one. I’m intrigued by the time and the story. If I could go anywhere, I’d go to Israel during the time of Jesus. I’d go as a man, too, so I could actually get to see something.

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

Oh, now that’s an important distinction, Shana. Going into history as a woman definitely has its drawbacks. However, Jesus was kinder and more accessible to women than any of the men of his day.

3. Sandi in OH says:

This book interests me in more ways than one. Our youngest son is seizure prone and has been since he was six months old. He is now 40. He is high-functional retarded which has gotten him into trouble. Unfortunately he can’t see into the future. My great whatever grandfather was John Brockett who helped survey the nine squares in New Haven, CT. I would like to see Brockett House in England during the 17th century. I am also the winner of your set of ebooks. Thank you so much.

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

People with special challenges are the bravest among us–along with those who love them.

I hope you enjoy my “How To” series. You should be receiving an email with instructions for accepting it soon. ;-)

1. Sandi in OH says:

Thank you so much. It was waiting for me when we returned from working out. I just downloaded it.

4. Thank you, Mia. “Silk Dreams” sounds like a humdinger! I wish there were more offbeat romances. If I could time-travel, I’d go to the future rather than the past. Either way, I’d get creamed. But in the future, I’d learn that which I don’t already know. Including how love and sex will change. Or will they? Good luck with your new release!

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

People have been coming in this world with the same wants and needs since Eden. I expect that will continue into the foreseeable future.

5. Mia, wow! What a fantastic premise! Let’s see…historical travel doesn’t interest me much, though I do love to read historicals. I guess I’d pick a day in the life of a gently bred woman in Austen’s day. Life seemed to be savored…the small moments meant so much. At least, that’s true in P&P, so I’ll run with that.

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

Even though I’m fascinated by how people lived and thought in other times and places, I wouldn’t want to stay for longer than … say, a weekend in the past myself. I’m a cancer survivor in this century. I wouldn’t have been in another.

6. Kathleen Kathleen says:

Mia, Silk Dreams sounds wonderful! I had to laugh at your description of “pattern” stories…and how definitively UNformulaic your great plot sounds! Can’t wait to read it!

If I could go back, I’d love to go to Cornwall during the time of King Arthur. Yeah, I know Camelot isn’t necessarily real, and no one knows where/when it was, but the ruins of Tintagel are enough to make me dream.

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

Can I confess I have played Guenevere in a production of Camelot? It was wonderful fun…right up to the point where I was led to the stake in nothing but my shift. A woman–even a queen–had to walk wary back then. However, you can’t fault Guenevere’s taste. She picked the best men of her time. Unfortunately, she picked two of them.

7. Oh, oh, oh! Best write-up I’ve seen in a long time! Love, love, love this, and must purchase immediately. As for travel? I’ve always said I’d love to visit Egypt in the late 1800s while the Valley of the Kings was being excavated. [Except that in addition to antibiotics, plumbing and e-books, I would want there to be human/civil rights and, yanno, for the treasures to stay in-country!]

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

Egypt in 1880 would have been wonderfully exciting, but there was a sort of naive arrogance about European and American travelers in those days. They felt honor bound to bring their culture along with them wherever they went, whether it was wanted or not.

What is it that they always say? Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it?

8. Mia, I can’t WAIT to read this book–it sounds wonderful, and I’m so happy to see more historicals that are outside the box in terms of setting and story. Like Jesse, I’d love to visit Egypt in the late 1880s – because I’m reading the Amelia Peabody mysteries right now and loving them – also ancient Rome around the time of Christ. What a fascinating place that was!

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

Amelia Peabody sounds like my kind of mystery heroine. Must look her up! Thanks.

I’ve always loved anything historical and I have been hearing for over 40 years that they are not “in” and I don’t believe it for a second. Medievals are my favorites because the older the better (although I read all types of historicals). Scotland and Egypt would be two places I’d love to visit.

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

I haven’t been to Eqypt but I can highly recommend Scotland! The DH and I visited there late May early June of this year and it was a glorious trip. I’d go again in a heartbeat. Rugged, achingly beautiful country.