Snooze

Hello! It’s me, Jaunty P. Quills, Porcupine Extraordinaire, to speak about my upcoming trip to Scotland, and the book I—

Margo: Jaunty, it’s my book, and – last I heard, I am the one going to Scotland. Next week, in fact.HIGHLANDER'S DESIRE cover

Jaunty: I bet you’ve never seen me in a kilt.

Margo: No. (Thank God).

Jaunty: What was that?

Margo: Nothing. I was just telling you about my Scottish historical, The Highlander’s Desire.

Jaunty: Are there kilts?

Margo: Well, back when this story takes place, they didn’t wear kilts as we know them today, but yes, my hero, Lachann MacMillan, definitely wears plaid. Extremely sexy.

Jaunty: Is it true that Scots don’t wear anything und—

Margo: I’m not going there, Jaunty. But I will tell you a little about Lachann.

Jaunty: You’re a killjoy. I always knew it when you were one of us.

Margo: Well, I do miss some of you guys.

Jaunty: Some?

Margo: I thought you wanted to know about my new book.

Jaunty: Is this book connected to your last Scottish book – The Warrior Laird?mmWarriorLairdMargoMaguireJPG[1]

Margo: As a matter of fact, yes. The heroes of these two books are brothers, but you don’t need to read one in order to enjoy the other.

Jaunty: I think I’d like to visit Scotland. You probably have some extra room in your suitcase—

Margo: NO! I mean . . . no – I pack light.

Jaunty: Hmph. Shana told me that the inhabitants of those Scottish islands eat a diet of pine nuts and clover.

Margo: She did not.

Jaunty: Just kidding. What do the people on your island eat?

Margo: The food is irrelevant, Jaunty. The Highlander’s Desire is a Cinderella story, so it’s all about my heroine overcoming all obstacles and getting her man.

Jaunty: I love Cinderella!

Margo: What’s not to love? I’ve got Anna, a heroine who is oppressed by her step-family – a wicked step-sister and father, and a gorgeous hero who comes to her western isle to marry the stepsister.

Jaunty: Oh no. No, no, no.

Margo: That’s what I said. Absolutely not. But Lachann really needs to marry the stepsister because she’s the daughter of the laird. Their marriage will put Lachann in line to become laird after the old man in an agreement made by both clans. It will benefit everybody.

Jaunty: But not Anna.

Margo: No, because she falls in love with Lachann.

Jaunty: And what about him?

Margo: The feeling is mutual, of course. But it’s sort of an impossible situation. Lachann has to marry the stepsister, and Anna wants to get away from the island.

Jaunty: How do they work it out? Does he push the step-sister over a cliff or something?

Margo: Absolutely not. He’s a hero, not a murderer. Besides, the wicked step-sister creates her own trouble for herself, as many evil people do.Tuxedo cat

Jaunty: Is there a glass slipper?

Margo: No. But there’s a black and white cat.

Jaunty: A cat won’t fit on her foot!

Margo: Of course not, but the cat plays a huge role in defining the heroine and villain.

Jaunty: I don’t really like cats.

Margo: I don’t think they like you, either, Jaunty.

Jaunty: So The Highlander’s Desire ends happily? With Anna taking her cat and riding off into the sunset with Lachann?

Margo: Well, sort of. Definitely a happy ending, but no riding into the sunset – it’s an island, after all. And it’s sort of a steamy ending.

Jaunty: You are making me blush.

Margo: That was my intention! Maybe you should take a break, Jaunty, while I ask my readers to try The Highlander’s Desire  when it comes out next Tuesday. You can even visit my website for an excerpt.

And just for the fun of it, I want to start a discussion of favorite fairy tale heroes, heroines and villains. I’ll give away a copy of The Warrior Laird to one participant who weighs in. I’ll start . . . I love the wounded Beast in Beauty and the Beast. Now it’s your turn!

33 thoughts on “An Interview With Former Quill Margo Maguire

1. Melody May says:

Oh Jaunty, you’re too much at times. Anyways, my favorite fairytale is Sleeping Beauty. I absolutely love the wicked queen in Snow White, because she’s just so evil and vain. I do like Cinderella, because she can manage a challenge. Which probably the reason there are so many versions of Cinderella out there. I like Prince Phillip in the Disney version of Sleeping Beauty.

1. I think my daughter’s favorite is Sleeping Beauty, too. I just couldn’t get my head around that whole ‘sleeping for 100 years’ aspect. Seemed like such a waste of time! :-)

2. Connie Fischer says:

I have always been a Cinderella fan. At my age, I’m sure that’s silly, however, the basic plot is one that can always be used and I love it.

Have a wonderful time in Scotland!

1. Thanks, Connie! I love Scotland, and we’ll be in Edinburgh for a few days during the International Arts Festival (which was a lot of fun last time we were there!)

3. Jaunty, your interviews rock! I agree–that stepsister might need to take a long walk off a steep crag. Margo, so nice to have you back, and great to see you in Atlanta! I love your story…just ordered it! I do love Beauty and the Beast (but not the Disney version) and Cinderella, because those heroines DO stuff! They don’t just sit around and sing and wait, you know? Congratulations on the book!

1. Thanks, Kristan! Great to see you, too! Loved your talk at lunch, btw. I was handing out tissues to everyone at our table.
      Did you ever see the French film version of Beauty and the Beast from the 1940s? Very haunting, very beautiful. Well worth seeing some day.

4. Mia Marlowe says:

Agreed on the sitting around and waiting business, Kristan. In so many of the original fairy tales, the heroines are passively waiting for rescue. I like more gumption in the character whose shoes I’m trying on (ok, that’s a nod to Cinderella, isn’t it?) Which is why I love reimagining those old stories with an updated twist.

5. sheryl n says:

I think my favorite fairy tale is Beauty and the Beast because it teaches you to look beyond the ugliness to what is inside. The Beast was a great hero and you found yourself rooting for him to get the girl

1. That’s exactly what I think about it, Sheryl. Look past the surface to see the real character.

6. Sandi in OH says:

Oddly enough I don’t have a favorite fairy tale. I like them all. Have a great time in Scotland. Don’t spend all your time doing research.

7. CateS says:

Beauty and the Beast… for the fact that it teaches to look to the character of a person, not the outer beauty.

1. Cate – yes, exactly! And there can be so much conflict in the story because of that. Makes for a really good read.

8. Thanks, Sandi! But I don’t know . . . I probably will be doing TONS of research while I’m there. ;-)

9. eap says:

cinderella

10. Linda says:

My fav has always been Beauty & the Beast: the wounded, scarred recluse hero who is redeemed by the love of the heroine *sighs*. Of course I love the Disney version.

11. My first book for Avon was a Beauty and the Beast story. It was The Bride Hunt, and the heroine was supposed to marry somebody else. But when she and her fiance are kidnapped by barbaric Scots . . . suffice it to say that Anvrais – the knight who rescues both of them – might be battle-scarred, but he is far more a hero than the handsome fiance could ever be!

Margo, I’m pretty sure Jaunty won’t take much room in your suitcase. You should take him. Really! I’ve loved your Scottish-set books, Margo. I can’t wait for this one.

1. Um, no, Shana. I’m positive there won’t be room for Jaunty in my luggage. I’m downsizing. Taking more stuff of my own. Adding some of my husband’s stuff to my bag. See? I couldn’t possibly …

13. Laurie G says:

I’ve always liked Arthur who becomes the king of England and lives in a castle in mystical, peaceful, happy Camelot. He is surrounded by his Knights of the Round Table and protected by the sorcerer Merlin. He had a special magical sword Excalibur. He fought for justice, protected his people and searched for The Holy Grail. I never liked that he was betrayed by his wife Guinevere and his knight Lancelot. He did let her go. He was also betrayed by his nephew, Mordred and valiantly fought till his death.

I’ve always loved the idea of there being this magical place like Camelot with a kind and honorable ruler who is loved by all.

1. Hey Laurie – I never really thought about the King Arthur stories as fairy tales, but they really are. There’s a dark side to it that is exactly like most fairy tales I can think of.

14. Welcome back, Margo! Your new book sounds wonderful! I’ll order it as soon as I finish this post. My fav fairy tale heroine is Cinderella. To me, she exemplifies hope and possibility. That no matter the how dire situation, better days are ahead. Have lots of fun in Scotland. And move over, Jaunty! If anyone is stowing away in Margo’s suitcase, it’s me. ;)

1. LOL, Nancy – I wish you could come along! We’d have a great time. :-)

like Cinderella

1. See? Cinderella is a definite favorite!

I want to hide in your suitcase too lol. I really enjoy your books and these both sound wonderful!! Anything Scotland has to be good! You picked my favorite, I always loved the beast. Inner beauty and true love (sigh).

1. Ha, Catslady, you were just snagged by my picture of Effie, were’t you? (No, honestly – I hope you enjoy The Highlander’s Desire!)

17. Margo, you really know how to keep Jaunty in his place! Great interview :)

I love Cinderella! Actually I pretend I *am* Cinderella, every time I have to peel potatoes or do the dishes. ;-) I’m not as crazy about her Prince, who apparently will marry anyone with a small-enough foot. ;-) I’m with Melody in liking Sleeping Beauty’s Prince Philip! What a doll, and he’ll will take on anyone for her even when she’s NOT looking like a princess…whereas Cinderella doesn’t attract her guy till she’s all dolled up.

I feel quite sure that *your* take on the Cinderella story has a prince who is much more appealing! I can’t wait to read it!!!

18. Thanks, Kathleen – That darned Jaunty is a pill!
    I’ll have to try Sleeping Beauty again – maybe the old time fairy tale in books. All I can remember is the Disney one we saw when my kids were young.

19. Barbara Elness says:

I’ve always loved Cinderella, it’s so nice to see the picked on girl get the prince. :D

20. I agree, Barbara. This book was totally satisfying to write.

21. Jaunty, you scamp! Don’t you miss him, Margo? As for fave fairy tales, my mother had these wonderful old copies of the original Grimm and Hans Christian Anderson tales – definitely not sanitized. I loved the Snow Queen and bunches of one that were pretty bloodthirsty, now that I think about it.

It was great seeing you last week, lady – enjoy Scotland!

22. Blood-thirsty wench, eh, Vanessa?

Loved seeing you last week! I wish we could do a small-scale conference, or even a writer’s retreat more often!