Mia Marlowe
Mia Marlowe

Jaunty Post

from Mia Marlowe

Mia MarloweOk, I’ve probably shared before that I’m the Anti-Shopper. My secret identity usually makes itself known around RWA annual conference time. It’s when I have to force myself to either go buy something new or plan to run around the conference naked. I know I’m supposed to enjoy it, but I just can’t. My  mom insists she did right by me as a kid and I do remember being dragged to the Yonkers store in downtown Des Moines. I hated trying things on, but I enjoyed riding on the escalator.

I think part of my problem is that women’s departments aren’t organized in a way that makes sense to my mind. Why aren’t all the pants in one place? All the blouses in another? And why do they insist on so many loud prints in large sizes? Honestly, does anyone look good in wide horizontal stripes?

But even if I don’t enjoy shopping for clothes, I really should enjoy shoe shopping, shouldn’t I? It’s a total girl thing, after all.

Unfortunately, I have duck feet. It’s absolutely not my fault that I’m hard to fit. I can wear European sizes, but in American sizes, I have to have a W on the box. Still, since it’s time for me to shine in Atlanta, I went to a big local shoe store that specializes in designer brands. As I wandered down the aisles, I finally understood the fascination. The shoes were to die for. So sexy. Super cute. Destined to melt the heart of even the most committed Anti-Shopper.

Then I made the mistake of asking where they kept the shoes with a W on the box.

I was shown to a small section in the corner filled with the ugliest shoes on the planet. I turned to the clerk and asked, “Does a complimentary walker come with those?”

Cute shoesI left feeling secure in my Anti-Shopper persona. However, there is a happy ending to this story. I decided if I couldn’t have sexy and super-cute, I’d at least go for comfort. I went to the Rockport store.

1820ShoedetailAnd I found these delightful slippers. They’re darling. Dare I say they’re a 21st century take on a Regency slipper? See the example to the right that would have been at home at Almack’s! In hot pink, they’re a pop of color and best of all, they fit my little duck feet!

So I’ll be “tripping the light fantastic” in my pink shoes in Atlanta starting on Wednesday. Still doing a little more packing.

Now, if I could just find something to wear besides horizontal stripes…

_____________________________________________

Lord of Devil Isle

Click to order!

Looking for a real deal? Mia is thrilled to share that her Lord of Devil Isle is now available as a free download for your Kindle if you’re a Prime member! It’s the story of Captain Nicholas Scott, a smuggler (and pirate at heart!) who fishes a beautiful woman from a stormy sea. He has no idea he’s the one who’s about to be hooked!

Hurry and claim yours today!

How about you? Are you a shopper? Do you live for the deal? Or are you, like Mia, mystified by the whole process?

22 thoughts on “Shoe Shopping Shame

Those shoes are really cute!

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

And ridiculously comfortable! I’m all set.

2. It is such a relief to know that I am not the only woman on the planet who hates to shop for clothes! I agree, NO ONE looks good in horizontal stripes, unless they are 15 and a size 0. Ugh. I swear that they let women-hating men design clothes for us bigger women.

I’m not a complete anti-shopper. I love Menards, Lowes, Home Depot! ;o) The lighting and appliance departments are my favorites. :D

Thanks for sharing, Mia.

Suzan

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

I dropped by another dress shop this morning. Honestly, I think some table cloth fabric has gone missing from the warehouse. They were using it for a whole rack of blouses.

3. Nynke says:

Ooh, I’m so thrilled you found cute shoes after all! I know how frustrating it is when many pretty shoes don’t fit, but if virtually none of them do, and you’re relegated to a frumpy department, that’s just mean! But these are gorgeous and probably look wonderful on you :).

I’m with you on the big prints, by the way! *shudder*

4. Connie Fischer says:

“Does a complimentary walker come with these?” That has got to be the funniest line I’ve read in a long time! I have to share it. Thanks for a good laugh this morning. :lol:

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

I was utterly humiliated at the time, :sad: but nothing is ever wasted on a writer. I’m glad I made you smile! :smile:

5. Kathleen Kathleen says:

Oh, Mia, you made me feel so much better! The anti-shopper….what a perfect phrase! Just yesterday I tried to force myself to do some conference shopping, and came home empty-handed, absolutely drained by trying to make so many decisions in such chaos. Your pink slippers are gorgeous–and they even look comfortable!!!! Well done! :cool:

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

The whole point in buying something new to wear is to help us feel more confident. When shopping itself is an exercise in frustration, that sort of defeats the purpose, doesn’t it?

6. Congrats on the shoes, Mia! Cute, cute, cute! I love the idea of shopping, but when I get there it’s 50/50 on whether I actually enjoy myself or not, depending on bargains, what my self image is doing that day, and whether or not I find a really awesome jacket. Let’s just say it’s been a while since I found a really awesome jacket …

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

Isn’t that the truth? We women waste so much time letting what we perceive in the mirror define us. I keep remembering a little verse I memorized as a kid:

“We’d find each face was beautiful,
      No matter how plain it seems,
      If looking past the dull outside
      We saw the hopes and dreams.”

7. Mia, I am so with you on the shoe thing – I have big, narrow feet that are hard to fit. Plus, I hate heels. They trash my back and given how uncoordinated I am, I’m a danger to myself and others when I wear them. I’ll be the other woman at RWA with only one or two pairs of shoes for the week!

8. Gayle C says:

“And why do they insist on so many loud prints in large sizes? “- I feel the same way about the prints they use on clothing. I try so hard to not to look like I am wearing a table cloth.
    Have fun in Atlanta, wearing your dancing shoes.

9. Rita Wray says:

I hate shopping. It’s annoying to go in and out of the dressing room to try things on. I think we should wear our robe when we shop and it would be so much easier. lol

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

A brilliant idea. It would let the sales clerks differentiate between the serious shoppers and those who are “just looking.”

Oh, I hate to shop too lol. My mom worked in a Dept. store and bought all our clothes – not much choice but luckily she had very good taste lol. Even when I grew up I depended on her with birthdays and Christmas to meet a lot of my needs lol. When I still worked, I would go out and splurge once in a while, mostly for the fancy stuff. And when it comes to shoes, although my foot is the opposite of yours, skinny – it was always agony finding anything that would stay on my foot.I had to always buy ugly shoes. At least today my foot is a bit wider which helps some lol.

11. Kathleen OD says:

I used to love to shoe shop.. Now it is such a chore.. But I love those Rockports.. As for clothes shopping.. Ahhh not my fav thing to do anymore either… nothing fits right. Oh well. I do find the odd thing that fits just right..

1. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

I think if women’s sizes were standardized like men’s it would help. If my DH needs a pair of pant, he buys his waist size. I have shirts in 4 different sizes that I happily wear all the time because no one knows what the number on the tag actually means!

12. martha lawson says:

Hey, I got the same kind of feet!! Had no idea Rockport carried such pretty shoes. I’ve been convinced they didn’t make shoes for my feet anymore, so I just stick to tennis shoes!!

13. CateS says:

Gah… I hate it! I stick to Lands End, Eddie Bauer stuff and do it online… I don’t have a shoe difficulty, but if I did, I’d be checking out Zappos..

14. infinitieh says:

I dislike shopping for shoes, too. I have normal-width-but-skinny feet so no sandals for me.

As for clothes, when I find something that I like, I tend to buy more than one, which means if I wear them on sequential days, people think I don’t change my clothes. :lol:

15. Laurie Evans says:

Finally! Someone else with duck feet! I usually feel so alone. I’m short, curvy and have a big chest. It’s SO hard to get clothes that fit and aren’t matronly. And yes, what’s up with the STRIPES and weird patterns? It’s so hard to find clothing that fits, in just solid colors. That’s all I ask, solid colors. Why is it so hard?

People say “oh, at least shoes fit.” No. No they don’t, either. Therefore, I hate clothes AND shoe shopping. *sigh*

If I had ambition, I’d start a clothes store for plus sizes with solid colored shirts, pants and dresses. No stripes or sequins allowed! And the store would have a large selection of shoes for duck feet! :mrgreen: