Jaunty Guest

Jaunty Post

Terri Osburn headshot ImageFirst off, thank you so much to Kristan Higgins and the rest of the Jaunty Quills for the opportunity to visit today. I am honored to be in the company of such great writers and readers.

For those of you who don’t know me, which is likely most of you, I’m Terri Osburn and I write small town contemporary romance and my debut novel, MEANT TO BE, was released last month. (Book 2: UP TO THE CHALLENGE comes out in January.) This is the first in my Anchor Island Series, so today I’d like to introduce you to the lovely little island my characters call home.

Situated at the base of the Outer Banks in North Carolina, Anchor Island is a prime tourist destination. These are just a few of the fun features offered on this little speck of sand.

1) Remote location – When we think vacation, we think “A place to get away.” On Anchor, you really get away. The island is accessible by ferry only. Since my heroine, Beth, has an intense fear of riding on boats, you can imagine what this does to her. Thankfully, a hunky islander and his lovable mutt help her through the ferry-induced panic attack.

Final Cover MTB2) A Chance to Disconnect – On Anchor, there are no cell towers, and that means no cell service. This is one of the reasons Beth’s fiancé, a native of the island, prefers to live elsewhere. But her fiancé’s brother Joe, who happens to be that hunky guy from the ferry, makes Beth see all the reasons the island would be a great place to live.

3) Good Food – This is so important for a vacation spot. Dempsey’s Bar & Grill, owned by Beth’s future in-laws, is the heart and soul of the island, with its warm atmosphere and friendly staff. Not to mention the best seafood in the mid-Atlantic. When this establishment is threatened, along with the rest of the island, Beth joins the cause to save them all.

5) The Natives – The people might be the best thing about Anchor Island. There’s Lola, the dark-skinned island elder who runs the arts and crafts store. Sid, the pint-sized boat mechanic with the centerfold body and mouth of a sailor. And Will, the mysterious gypsy who serves up the shots of tequila that loosen Beth’s inhibitions, leading to one hot kiss with the absolute wrong man.

As you can probably guess, Beth would highly recommend this island. In fact, she’d give just about anything to live on Anchor happily ever after. Well, almost anything.

Early CoverWhat do you think? Could you vacation on a remote island with no cell service? Do you have a favorite vacation spot you return to year after year? Mountains, sea, or big city? One lucky commenter will receive a Kindle version of MEANT TO BE. (Open internationally until midnight tonight.) Good luck and thanks again to the Jaunty Quills!

PS: Anchor Island is completely based on Ocracoke Island, NC. If you’re still looking for a vacation destination this summer, I highly recommend checking out this area.

28 thoughts on “Anchor Island – Your Vacation Destination

Welcome, Terri! Hope to see you at RWA again this year. This is sad to say, but it would drive me nuts to be without internet or cell service. I don’t mind taking a break from work, but I seem to always need to Google something or another.

1. Terri Osburn says:

Good Morning! Thanks for the welcome, Shana. I’ll be there and I hope to see you too. Now that you mention it, I think it might be harder to be without Google than without my phone. Heck, I use Google for spell check!

2. I love Anchor Island. And I could completely get behind a place with no cell service. If only I could forcibly remove myself from the internet. Just for a little bit at a time. Imagine the writing I could do!

This book is awesome and if you haven’t read it yet, you all should!

1. Terri Osburn says:

Thanks for dropping by and once again pimping this book, Marn. Your support is much appreciated! And I bet you could get a lot done. Imagine it. No lure to check Facebook. You’d have to actually ask the people around you how they’re doing. :)

3. eap says:

my dream vacation would be in a cabin alone next to the ocean-either coast and peace and quiet with no technology and my huge TBR pile.

1. Terri Osburn says:

Oh, eap, have I got a spot for you.

4. Mia Marlowe says:

One of the reasons the DH and I love to cruise for our vacations is that we purposely DON’T opt to pay for the ridiculously expensive WIFI on board. We are cut off and it’s lovely. Of course, if there’s an actual emergency, our fam knows how to reach us through the ship-to-shore number, but otherwise, we are unreachable.

1. Terri Osburn says:

I hate those wi-fi fees, Mia. It’s practically extortion. I haven’t been on a cruise in well over 20 years, but I’m hoping to take a Mediterranean on in the next few years.

5. CateS says:

The ocean, the sun, the beach, the food… yes, I’m so there!

1. Terri Osburn says:

Welcome to the island, CateS!

6. I couldn’t do it. Not for longer than a few days. I’d get itchy…but…

I don’t know. Maybe… (thinking of the editing I could get done without FB around…)

Okay! Sign me up!

1. Terri Osburn says:

To be fair, there is internet. You just wouldn’t have a signal so your smart phone is always there ready to taunt you away from the real world in front of you.

7. Welcome, Terri, and Anchor Island sounds like the place to be!! I just came back from a few days in the Adirondaks, and have to confess that while I went prepared to have zero internet, I was pathetically grateful to discover there was wifi. Sigh. I’ve been assimilated.

1. Terri Osburn says:

Thank you, Jesse. And we’ve ALL been assimilated. LOL! Such a hard habit to break.

8. Hellion says:

Reading MEANT TO BE right now and hooting with laughter! And yes, I’d totally visit an island with no cell service…but that’s not really fair. I’m not very good with my phone anyway and don’t really like to talk on my phone. I’d be more put out that I couldn’t talk to people on Facebook. So if there was no internet connection, there’d be a problem, even if only for a week.

Well, maybe not a week. A beach, quiet time, and a bookstore? I’d be fine.

Cannot wait for Sid’s book. That girl is a RIOT!

1. Terri Osburn says:

There’s definitely a book store! In fact, if I get to write a 4th book, the book store might get a lot more attention. :) Thanks for reading the book. So happy to hear you’re enjoying it!

9. Kim Engstrom says:

My dream vacation would be a beach house with my hubby…no electronics, cool breezes, white sand, and some good old fashioned peace & quiet :razz:

1. Terri Osburn says:

Kim, Anchor has everything but the white sand. But the cool breeze and friendly islanders make up for that. :cool:

10. Welcome to the JQs, Terri! So excited to see you here, and mega-congrats on your debut! I’ve always been an ocean kind of girl – grew up on the Jersey shore, and now hubby and I spend most of winter in Florida, on an island just south of the Georgia border. It’s heaven!

1. Terri Osburn says:

Hey there, Vanessa! I was a landlubber until I moved to the beach in 2004. Until then, I hadn’t even seen the ocean! That Florida island sounds like heaven.

maybe could vacation there; don’t have a fav spot

1. Terri Osburn says:

It’s good to stay flexible, bn100. Keep your options open. :)

12. Very happy to have you here, Terri! xox

1. Terri Osburn says:

Thanks for the invite, Kristan. And I hope the signing went off without a hitch. Those Turn The Book ones are always fun.

13. Maureen says:

We have gone several times to Chincateague, Virginia where the wild horses are. Now that my children are adults I would worry if I had no cell service in case they needed to contact us.

1. Terri Osburn says:

Maureen, you have to wonder how we all got by without cell phones. I didn’t get my first one until 2001, and I don’t remember even needing one before that. Oh, how times have changed.

14. Lorelei's Lit Lair says:

So glad to see you here! About vacationing without cell service, wow, can’t imagine that, but I’ll love to be somewhere in a beautiful island like Anchor! Thanks for the chance to win!

1. Terri Osburn says:

Thanks, for stopping by, Lorelei. I’m sure if you found the right spot, you’d never miss the phone.