Robyn DeHart
Robyn DeHart

Jaunty Post

henry_cavill_in_man_of_steel-wideI love movies. Love to go to the movies, though those days are limited since the kids. Summers are great for the big blockbuster, popcorn flicks and so far this summer is living up to expectations, at least mine. Thankfully we’ve had some visits from my teenage nieces & nephew and have had more babysitters (FREE!) than we normally do so we’ve seen quite a few films so far.

We started the summer with Ironman3. It was great, but more of the same. But if you love RDJ and the ironman franchise, you won’t be disappointed. Really the only thing I was missing was the great soundtrack from the first one.

whitehousedown-finalposter-tatum-foxx-fullSuperheroes reign in the summertime so we made our way to see Man of Steel. My parents had already seen it and reported back that it wasn’t any good. But The Professor and I are fans of Nolan so we went anyways. The story is good, I liked the added emotional depth and damn he is so pretty, he could have stood there and read the phone book for 2 hours and I would have been entertained. But the fight scenes got tedious and were overdone. The same point could have been made with a little editing.

Then we took the girls to see Monster’s University. I knew the concept of prequel would be lost on them, but they enjoyed it. It doesn’t have as much heart as Monster’s, Inc. but it’s still Pixar and therefore still great. The girls loved it.

One of the traditions in my family growing up was to go to movies on holidays. So on the 4th of July, my parents babysat so that The Professor and I could go see White House Down with my sister, brother-in-law, niece and her boyfriend. Okay, let me preface this by saying, I love action movies. As long as the camera isn’t too jiggling, then my philosophy is the more beatings the better. Obviously this isn’t how I feel about my real world, but when it comes to theatre entertainment, I’m all for the shoot-em-up variety. So that being said, I love this movie. It’s nothing new, basically Die Hard set in the White House and well there’s Channing Tatum. So even if you’re not a fan of the action stuff, you get to have him in an undershirt and…wait I think I’m getting off track here.

MV5BMjI2ODQ4ODY3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTc2NzE1OQ@@._V1_SX214_I’ll say, though, that the biggest surprise for me has been Now You See Me. It certainly looked like a movie I’d like. I have a fondness for heist-type movies and the cast is stellar. I gotta say, it’s fantastic. Seriously if it’s still showing in your area, go see it. It’s clever and funny and surprising and really quite wonderful. It will definitely be one we’ll have to buy on Blu-Ray and watch again.

I’m not really sure what else this summer has in store for us, but I am looking forward to one movie in particular. It’s a sequel and I loved the first one. (see aforementioned affinity for action flicks) Red 2 comes out later this month and I CANNOT WAIT! I mean, come on, how can you not enjoy Helen Mirren shooting people out of both car windows? That’s fantastic!

So what are y’all looking forward to? Or what have you seen so far that you’ve loved or hated? Let’s talk movies…

13 thoughts on “Summer movies

1. Robyn;
    I’m looking forward to Red2 as well. I’m really excited about it. I’m really waiting for the second Hunger Games movie which is coming out this fall. :)

2. Ooh, movies! I used to say I have a low threshold for entertainment–give me some explosions and a shirtless HotGuy, and I’m good. Lately, though, I’m getting tired of finishing a movie and feeling rattled by the relentless ACTION-ACTION-ACTION where everybody feels like they have to outdo their competitors in blowing up bigger and better things and I come out twitching at loud noises. So I have to admit that since the new Star Trek (watchable, but not an improvement over the prior one), I’ve taken a break from the theater. Just saw Admissions last night, though, and really enjoyed it. Well written and acted, and I didn’t feel like I had seen the whole movie in the previews!

3. MJ says:

I loved Man of Steel. We all did, but yes, could have been edited. We saw it twice.

Loved Iron Man.

LOVED Star Trek. Came home and preordered it.

World War Z was GREAT but super intense.

I want to go see White House Down but Fred is not a fan. I may go see it alone today.

Next up, WOLVERINE!

4. Nothing like movies in the summertime! I opted to pass on Superman; I’m still in love with Christopher Reeve, and Henry Cavill is simply meh for me. Too pretty, alas. I loved Now You See Me! World War Z was great and terrifying. I’ll go see Red 2 because I want to be Helen Mirren when I grow up, and she looks incredibly bad-ass in this one. White House Down is a must, because my boy-toy stars in it…Fun post, Robyn!

5. Lorelei says:

Great recommendations and report, Robyn! My hubby and kids went to see some without me because I had to babysit mom while she was recovering, I’ll have to see Man of Steel on DVD unless I go alone or with someone else. While Christopher Reeve will always be the man, I really don’t mind ogling Henry. Kristan,I have a pic with Christopher Reeve! He was so…. <3 I was 18 and skiing. Sigh… Have you seen it?
    I'd really like to see all you've mentioned. I think we have similar tastes and opinions. Thanks for sharing!

6. Kathleen OD says:

There are a few summer movies I so want to see.. White House Down being one of them, also HEAT with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy.. I think this one is going to be a real side splitter. And I just saw a trailer for a new movie with Denzel Washington and Mark Wallburg that looks really good.. So I hope I get to the movies to see them.

7. Robyn, I love summer movies! And like Jesse, if there’s lot of action and shirtless HotGuy, I’m happy. Also, spaceships, explosions, and almost anything with Will Smith. In fact, hubby is the one who likes the art films and intense dramas – me, I’ve pretty much got teenage boy sensibilities when it comes to summer movies!

I saw Monster’s University and Despicable Me 2 and Titans of the Ice Age (which was at the Museum of Natural Science and about mammoths). I think that’s more than I saw last year! Notice they are all kids’ movies? :roll:

9. Melody May says:

I want to see RIPD. First off it has Ryan Reynolds. Second it looks funny. Third I want to know if they used the Macklemore song in the movie or if its just in the trailer. I really hope they do.

I also want to see Turbo, because that just looks cute.

I want see RED2.

Those are the movies I want to see.

I have no desire to see Man of Steal, even though Henry Cavil is such a lovely looking man. I just love Christopher Reeve as Superman.

I did get to see Now You See Me and enjoyed it. We don’t get to a lot of movies so many of them look good to me. My husband’s company has a movie day and when we got there we saw 5 min. of previews and because of an accident, the electricity went off. What a bummer. Got up really early and had to drive an hour away too and then we sat around for another couple of hours hoping it would be fixed. We’re all hoping they will schedule it again.

11. I just saw Red on TV the other night. So, I’m looking forward to seeing Red 2! The Norwegian and I went to see Before Midnight, the sequel to Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy’s Before Sunrise and Before Sunset films… I loved the first two, but was a little let down by the third. I can’t say I disliked it. It had the same flavor as Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. This one was just had too much “real life” for my taste and lacked the “romantic escape” element of the other two. Fun post, Robyn!

12. Barbara Elness says:

The only movie I’ve seen recently was Star Trek Into Darkness. I’m really looking forward to Red II as well, love to see the older action heroes kicking some butt. :D

13. I didn’t like Superman. I thought it was too short on story and long on CGI. But I did love World War Z and Star Trek. And I’m looking forward to Pacific Rim.

No Pixar films for me this summer :-/