Katherine Garbera
Katherine Garbera

Jaunty Post

I’ve been working on a major revision for Bound By A Child my Desire coming in February 2014 but as the days go by and the RWA conference gets closer I find that revising is the last thing on my mind.

6368b2ec50ccec7028aa098ded26e5a2

I’ve already written and deleted (more than once) an email to my conference buddies talking about clothes and sharing pictures of outfits I’ve purchased and plan to wear.  I still intend to send it but in good conscience I can’t until I’ve finished my revision.  I mean work should has to come before play, right?
But since today is my blog day at the Quills and I have to write something here maybe it would be okay to talk about clothes.  Its not that I’m a fashionista because I’m not.  It’s really just the fact that for the rest of the year I wear yoga pants and my husband’s old EA Games t-shirt pretty much everyday.  I usually put my hair into some kind of ponytail because its curly and crazy (my kiddos call me Medusa images-2for a reason) and I don’t see or talk to anyone save my hubby and kids.  So going away to the RWA conference is my excuse to shop, dress up and talk about shopping and dressing up.

I’ve heard a rumor that their are people out there who don’t like to shop–is this true?  Can people really not love getting into a store, searching for the perfect outfit, trying it on and sending photos to their friends and then purchasing it–especially if it is on sale?

9780373732623Tell me a shopping tale if you love to shop like me about your best bargain.  And if you are one of those people who doesn’t like to shop tell me how you get around going to the stores.  I have an advanced copy of His Instant Heir to give away today.

32 thoughts on “All About the Conference

I’m looking forward to conference too. I don’t like to shop because it just takes so much time. I have to try on all this stuff and what if I make the wrong decision or buy something and then don’t like it later? Should I get black or red or gray? I love this dress, but they don’t have it in my size. If I buy that dress do I need new shoes? I mean, it’s just stressful. My yoga pants go with everything.

1. What you see as stress, Shana, I see as part of the fun. You are right yoga pants do go with everything. :)

2. Sandi in OH says:

My mom loved to shop. Every Saturday was spent trying on clothes. This started when I started school. I really hate trying on clothes. I loved to shop with my grandfather though. He had wonderful taste and indulged me. I got a new winter coat every year and new school clothes when grandpa and I would go shopping. It wasn’t nearly as much fun when grandma was with us. She would always question why I want this particular outfit. I really don’t like to shop now unless it is for books.

1. Sandi in OH–what a sweet memory of you and your grandfather. I love to shop for books. I can spend hours and hours in the book store. I love the convenience of my Kindle but to be honest I’d much rather go to the book store and browse and buy that way.

3. Katherine…THE jeans. Long enough, because I’m tall. Perfect fit. Perfect cut. They washed and dried like a dream, no creasing. AND…prepare yourself emotionally…they were $12 on the clearance rack at Banana Republic. Tragically, these were the jeans I wore when McIrish tried to kill me, and the paramedics cut them off, ignoring my pleas to save the jeans. Of course, BR discontinued them (sob). I’m still in therapy.

1. Kristan–I’m sobbing right now at the loss of those bargain jeans. I love BR jeans and was surprised when they fit so well and so comfortably. I’m glad the paramedics saved your life but really couldn’t they have saved those jeans too???

4. Katherine, I so relate to the Medusa hair, which is why my flat iron is my best friend – I’ll probably take it in my carry-on luggage to RWA, just to make sure nothing happens to it! As for shopping, I do most of it in semi-annual sprints at the outlet stores on our trips to and from Florida. And how much I enjoy it depends on what my scale is saying at that point in time!

1. Vanessa–I love shopping a lot more when I’m thinner. Sometimes when I’m at the lower end of the scale I just go and try clothes on at the mall…I know I’m pathetic. But I love clothes. :)

5. eap says:

I hate shopping but do shop online.

1. eap–I really like online shopping too. When I don’t have a lot of time to go out and shop I’ll order a bunch of stuff. If it doesn’t fit or look like I think it will I just send it back. :)

6. Dear Ms. Fashionista, I beg to differ with you. If you aren’t a fashionista then there is no such thing. If you do wear the writers’ “uniform” to work, I’m sure you rock it elegantly and with aplomb. ;) Seriously, Kathy, you always look great! I can’t wait to see you in Atlanta. As for my own shopping…I’m with Vanessa. The scale tends to slant my mood. If the scale gives good news shopping is fun. If not… Well…

1. Nancy–you make me feel way more fashionable than I know I am. I can’t wait to see you in Atlanta too!!! :)

Lol I am not a shopper (except when it comes to books). I can do without a lot of things lol. My husband likes to buy stuff so I leave a lot up it to him. When I’m desperate I break down and go shopping but not very often lol. I think part of the reason that I’m like that is my mom worked in a dept. store and brought home our clothes. Luckily she had good taste because nothing went back lol.

1. catslady–that sounds ideal and I’m thinking she must have gotten a discount so that means wonderful prices. And it seems as if you married the right man for you. Yin to your shopping yang. :)

8. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

Well, I’m surprised not to find myself in the minority here. I claim to be the Anti-Shopper. My mother wonders where she went wrong, but it seems I have some company here today. I wish women’s clothing shops were arranged like men’s shops. When I buy for my DH, I know exactly where to look for shirts or pants or a sweater. In the women’s department it’s all scattered like so much buckshot, hit or miss. How can I be sure I’ve seen all my options for a pair of slacks if they’re hanging up in 12 different places?

1. Mia–another non-shopper??? :) I love the adventure of shopping in the women’s department. When my kids were little they used to play in the “jungle” of hanging clothes while I shopped and shopped often with my mom.

9. Sheila M says:

I love to shop, shoes and Coach bags. When I lived in Iowa the expensive dept store at the mall had a shoe clearance room- you can imagine how it looked at the end of a Saturday. I found a cute pair of beige flats with a flower and glitter beads for $9.00. as usual I looked them up at the mfg when I got home….$95.00!!! The Coach counter always had 2 or 3 clearance sections, I managed to get several bags for half price or below.
    I hate shopping for jeans.

1. Sheila M–me too. I love shopping and Coach bags. :) But to be honest I also like jeans shopping.

10. Melody May says:

I don’t like to shop, because DH doesn’t make it fun. I like shopping with a friend cause it makes it fun. However, I haven’t “the friend” here. The one friend that will make the effort to go with you no matter what.

1. Melody–Hugs. I wish you had your friend there all the time to go shopping with. I find that I have become really good at shopping by myself. I do take a lot of selfie pictures in the dressing room and send them to my mom or my hubby or friends for a second opinion. :)

Like to shop with my mom

1. bn100–my mom and I always spend at least 2 days shopping when I come home for a visit. Really we buy stuff but its about being in the mall and talking and then having lunch. I cherish those days.

12. I’m headed to the outlets tomorrow on my way home from a mini-vacation and am hoping to find a Cute Shirt or something for the conference! A bargain is a must, and I’m really only good for two or three stores before I lose interest and wander off to the snack bar for a cookie. Great topic, Katherine :)

1. Jesse–hope you find lots of Cute Shirts and bargains. :)

13. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Kathy,

Just yesterday, I got a pair of shoes that had been $70 for $15. I tried to use my take-an-extra 30% off coupon but the shoe dept clerk told me the coupon didn’t apply to the “yellow tagged” items.

But I didn’t care cuz the price was right and the shoes were stylish, comfortable and a heckuva deal already!!

1. Cindy–what a deal! I can’t wait to see the shoes. I would have tried the coupon too. I have been able to talk the sales lady into giving me a discount before. But I have to really have my shop on to make that happen.

14. Kathleen OD says:

I use to love to shop, but now my legs won’t let me.. But this past weekend was my Gal Pal Annual Weekend with the BFF’s.. We went to this little place called Blue Mountain Village, that is a small section of shops and pubs and restaurants in a Skiing resort in Collingwood Ontario.. I loved walking around for a bit and looking at all the great little shops and having a drink and some munchies when we had to get out of the rain… But like all good things, I pay for them later…

1. Kathleen OD–Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I’m right there with you on paying for it later. :)

15. Terri Brisbin says:

Kathy –

I hate shopping unless it’s for books or office supplies… I’ve discovered which clothing catalogs work well for me and do my clothes shopping that way..

See you all there!

1. Terri–don’t even get me started about books or office supplies. I love them. I have so many post-it notes I will never run out. :)

I like catalogs too. Can’t wait to see you at RWA. :)

16. Rhonda says:

I don’t enjoy shopping at all. None. Grocery, clothes, furniture…despise it. I usually shop online or go grocery shopping when I absolutely have to and I stock up so I don’t have to go again any time soon. If I must go clothes shoppibg it’s for what I need – I get it & get out!

1. Rhonda–I’m the exact opposite to you. I get in and stay there until they throw me out. :)