Cindy Kirk
Cindy Kirk

Jaunty Post

I have a confession to make.  I don’t really have any 4th of July plans.   I know, I can hear you gasping all the way from where you live.   But it’s my little secret.  I’ve found if I tell people who ask (bank tellers, clerks, friends at the gym) they look at me strangely.  So, I usually make something up, then ask about their plans.   Which, they always seem to have (of course).

4th

Yes, we have family…but not a big extended family that hangs out together.  Our daughter and her family are going out of town.  My mother-in-law is doing something with her friends.  The thing is, I’m totally okay with my non-plans.  I’m just coming off a deadline and I have sooooo much to do around the house.  I want to get everything I’ve neglected in the past few weeks (when I was really focused on getting the book done) so that I can enjoy myself at upcoming Romance Writers of America’s national conference.  My husband is building a rat-rod and he wants to work on it during his day off from work.  We’ll go out to eat, we’ll (maybe) watch the fireworks from our deck where we have a good view of a small town’s fireworks.

I’d be interested in hearing your plans for tomorrow.  And, hey, if you don’t have any big plans…know that you’re not alone.  :)

34 thoughts on “What are YOUR 4th of July plans?

1. Cindy–We are having some friends over for a BBQ in the evening but because we live in the UK there won’t be any fireworks to watch. Enjoy your day off. :)

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Oh, Kathy…I love barbecue. If you loved closer…rather than an ocean away, I might have to stop over. :razz:

We’re decorating Baby Galen’s bike today and she’s riding it in a parade tomorrow, and then there’s a carnival. Fun! Maybe fireworks if she takes a nap.

Shana,

We used to live in a neighborhood that did a children’s parade…such fun!

3. Kathryn in Montreal says:

Well Canada Day was Monday, making a nice long weekend, but we didn’t really have any specific plans. I worked at the horse show my daughter was competing at for the weekend and planned a lovely day in my garden Monday…. but my son had moved on Sunday and there was a snafu with the apartment and he ended up in another apartment in the same building. The new apartment was not ready to receive a new tenant so I spent Monday painting… but it was also nice one-on-one time with my favourite guy!

Kathryn,

What a good mother you are! Happy Belated Canada Day!

4. Sandi in OH says:

We are having a family/friends picnic tomorrow. We watched fireworks from our front porch last Saturday night.

Sandi,

Nothing says the 4th of July more than a picnic. Unless it’s Shana’s neighborhood parade. :)

5. Lynn Viehl says:

We always go to watch the July 4th parade in town; it’s small and mostly made up of bands from the local schools but always lots of fun. After that we’ll regroup at the house and have a cookout, take the dogs for a long walk and then spend the evening watching our neighbors’ fireworks, which can be almost as spectacular as the big shows.

Lynn,

I have to admit…I love high school marching bands. My daughter was in band in high school (flute/piccolo)and just seeing the kids march and play…well, it can bring tears to my eyes.

6. Maria says:

My husband and I have always just loved staying home on major holidays because we HATE all the crowds and traffic. So we play at tourists in our hometown, usually catching a festival or art show We take long walks and eat out. I end up spending the holiday in a relaxing way.

Maria,

A person after my own heart…love those long walks with the hubby…and in our case, the boys (3 dogs).

7. Sonya Heaney says:

Hey – it’s already the 4th here. But as I’m in Australia, and the date means nothing to us… I wouldn’t mind the holiday though!

Sonya,

When I used to work at a day job, we’d always laugh and say we’d fully celebrate any holiday as long as we got a day off work! lol

8. eap says:

I have no plans

Ditto, eap.

9. CateS says:

No plans, but hubby has part time job that he’ll have to work from 4pm-8pm…

Cate,

Another no plans person…YEH!

Normally, I’m at home cooking but this year we got some baseball tickets. I was hoping to make a day of it with dinner, casino (where my daughter works) and fireworks but unfortunately we’re going in a group and someone thought it was a good idea to rent a school bus which means right down and back – bummer. And so I may be cooking too.

Cats lady,

Sounds like a fun day…all but the cooking anyway. :)

Enjoy!

11. I hold dual citizenship in the US and Canada, but summers are spent in the Canada. So I get Canada Day but miss the 4th. I really miss being in the States on the 4th because it’s also my dad’s birthday. But hubby & I are not big partiers or planners, either. We usually low-key it and just take it easy.

Vanessa,

I can tell right now you and I could be great friends!

12. Hi Cindy! I’m with you in the usually-no-plans department. Tomorrow hubby and I are going out mountain biking with a group from a local bike shop. It’s more ‘yay, we’ve got the day off’ than ‘let’s celebrate the 4th’ though :mrgreen:

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Oooh, a bike trip sounds like so much fun, Jess.

Living in the country (on gravel) we’d have to transport our bikes to the trails to ride…so we rarely ride anymore.

But to me it sounds like a perfect way to spend the 4th!

13. Your day sounds lovely, Cindy! We do have plans; a big neighborhood picnic down the street, complete with fabulous (and illegal) fireworks. It’s one of the nicest nights of the year!

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Now, I could get into a neighborhood picnic. Stop in, stay for as long as I wanted, then leave…

Too bad we don’t live in a neighborhood. Have fun!!

14. Maria P says:

Hi, Cindy! I don’t really have any plans for tomorrow, either. My husband has to work, so I’ll have the apartment to myself for the day. I’ll watch a parade on tv, if there’s any on. When he comes home, we’ll have an indoor picnic with burgers & fries for dinner. (He works at a hospital, so he has to work on Friday, too.)

15. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Maria,

I remember well those years I worked in a hospital…holidays don’t seem like holidays. Still, it sounds like you have a nice, relaxing time planned.

16. Cindy, make no apologies for your day to yourself. That’s a true independence day. I think it sounds wonderful, especially coming off of a deadline. We’re having friends over for a Low Country boil and we will do some minor-league fireworks, but other than that, it will be pretty low key. Locally, there is a big free outdoor concert and several huge public fireworks displays, but I want to stay as far away from those as I can. I’d rather have a quiet night with family – or if I were coming off a deadline (actually, I’m right in the middle of one) I’d probably want to do just what you’re doing. Enjoy!

Nancy,

Oooh, a Low Country boil….is that the same as a fish boil? I saw my first one (with fresh whitefish) while visiting Wisconsin in June.

17. Corrina says:

My husband is a firefighter, and is almost always working on the 4th. So I’ll be doing house projects to prep to put our house up for sale next month! Woohoo? Guarantee there will be some reading in there too!

Corrina,

Kudos to your hubby for the work he does. Best of luck on the sale of your house!

I can’t imagine anything better than some holiday reading.

18. Cindy, we’re going to have the family over for a swim and some backyard fireworks…but with all the rain Central Florida’s been getting lately I have a feeling our plans are going to be thwarted. Sounds like a good excuse to eat too much popcorn at the movies, though, so I’m all right with that! :cool: Have fun just getting to relax! I know how welcome days like that can be after the stress of meeting a deadline!

19. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Kathleen, I love to go to the movies on holidays. There are so many out I want to see.

And you’re right, movies are a good excuse for popcorn…if one needs an excuse, that is. lol