Celebration's Bride

My new book CELEBRATION’S BRIDE hit the shelves yesterday! It’s a milestone in my career because it’s my twentieth published novel!  My how time flies when you’re having fun! In celebration (no pun intended – since the book is set in Celebration, Texas), I thought I’d do a Q&A that gives you a little more insight into the writing process and characters. If you answer my question at the end of the post, you could win a gift card!

Where did you get the idea for CELEBRATION’S BRIDE?

This is the fourth book in my Celebration’s, Inc. series, which is about a group of women who run a catering business that’s also featured on a reality television show called Catering to Dallas.  CELEBRATION’S BRIDE is Sydney James’s story. Since she has been a prominent secondary character in the other books in the series, the idea for her story developed organically out of the other books.

Tell us about the hero of the book? Why will we fall in love with him?

Miles Mercer is one of my favorite heroes I’ve ever written. He’s a complex guy who is more than a little disenchanted with life: his career is not at all where he thought it would be at this point in his life, and he and his father have some “issues” to workout. Yet, the other members of his family remain at the heart of everything he does. In fact, one of my favorite aspects about his character is his capacity to love.

Tell us about the heroine?

Sydney is a major commitment-phobe, in both life and romance. Because she grew up in the foster system, she’s never settled in one place for long. She’s been in Celebration, Texas much longer than she thought she’d be. She knows her job on the reality television show Catering to Dallas, which chronicles the inner workings of the Celebrations, Inc. catering company, will not last forever. If life has taught her one thing, it’s that nothing this good ever lasts. She interviews for an overseas job that seems a perfect fit and a logical next step in life. But when Catering to Dallas gets a new director, career-driven Miles Mercer, suddenly things look especially delicious in the catering company’s kitchen.

What life lessons do your H/H learn before they can find their happily-ever-after?

Growing up in the foster care system, Sydney has never known what it’s like to have permanent family ties.  When she meets Miles and his big, boisterous family, she sees the beauty in their bond and, in turn, she helps Miles learn the importance of making amends with his father.  Along their journey to happily-ever-after, Sydney learns to trust and Miles learns to forgive. It soon becomes evident that through their growth they’re both ready to fall in love.

What was your favorite scene to write?

There’s a scene in the book where Sydney, who is a bit perturbed with Miles, calls him late one night expecting the call to go to voice mail because his cell phone should be turned off and he should be sound asleep. Much to her dismay, he picks up and she completely forgets her well-rehearsed speech because she’s so flustered.  Of course, he seizes the opportunity to flirt with her until she forgets why she’s angry…or maybe she suddenly realizes her bone simply doesn’t matter anymore.

Downtown Celebration

What do you feel are some of your strengths as a writer and how did those show up in this particular book? I love developing characters that my readers would want to call friends. So, it’s especially fun when these characters make appearances in other books both before and after they’ve found their own happily-ever-afters. Also, I grew up in a small, close-knit community and in CELEBRATION’S BRIDE; I hope I’ve been able to create that same sense of place that I cherished as I was growing up.

So, does that mean some beloved characters from your previous books show up in this one?

Oh, yes! As I mentioned earlier, this is the fourth book in the Celebrations, Inc. series. So, many of the cast members of my previous books make appearances in CELEBRATION’S BRIDE. It’s a lot of fun writing about them. It’s like visiting old friends. And the friendship among the four girlfriends, Sydney, Pepper, A.J. and Caroline, continues to play as important a role in this book as it did in the others.

Is there an underlying theme to the story?

This book is about finding love and family where in the most unexpected places. It’s also about redemption and the power of love and forgiveness.

Tell me about a milestone in your life. What did it mean to you? What are your goals now? As I said, one person who comments will win a $10 gift card (Amazon or Barnes and Noble – your choice). I hope you’ll enjoy reading CELEBRATION’S BRIDE as much as I loved writing it. Thanks so much for being part of the Jaunty Quills community and making it possible for us to do what we love.

39 thoughts on “Celebrating New Releases and Career Milestones!

1. Nancy–I can’t wait to read Celebrations Bride. I’ve been enjoying the entire series. Major congrats on your 20th book. It seems like just yesterday we were celebrating your first sale.

When I reach a milestone i always party like it’s 1999 ;) and then the next day shake off the glitter and get back to work.

Kathy

2. K, I like your style! <3 Isn't it great to be on this fabulous journey together? Thanks for always being there. <3

3. Amy Keating Casey says:

Congrats!!!! Can’t wait to read it!! :razz:

4. suzanne stewart says:

Congrats on book #20 Nancy. For me biggest “milestone” is challenge of growing older and adjusting your life to being a Grandmother – “spoil them rotten and send them home” and all the changes in the small world around me! Tech world dominates all and English has become a second language to the new TEXT ( no spelling, grammar, or proper word use necessary!) language! For someone who has read for years and savor each book, this is a hard pill to swallow!The beauty of your books is not only the wonderful storylines but your command of the English language!!!! Love this series and all your books!! And yes, I love a sweet happy ending! You and your stories are always such a beautiful breath of fresh air!! I’m going to take Katherine’s suggestion – every time I finish a beautifully well written book, I’m going to party like a Rock Star!!!!! lol

1. Hi Sue! First, thank you so much for your kind words. I hope you know how much I appreciate it…and YOU! :) I’m right there with you on the “tech as a foreign language” conundrum. Sometimes it’s overwhelming. My husband has just embraced texting, but he uses and few letters as possible. Last weekend, I was at the grocery store and texted him asking if we needed a certain item. He texted back, “Y.” I wasn’t sure if he meant Y as is yes or Y as in why. He didn’t text me back when I asked him to clarify. So, I didn’t pick up the item. Of course, he meant Y as in YES. I said, “You should’ve answered my text, or better yet, why didn’t you simply add two more letters to Y and we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.” Haha! I love your “spoil them rotten and send them home” philosophy. That’s how my grandma was and how I fully intend to pay it forward. :)

Twenty books! Congrats!!! That’s really an amazing achievement.

6. Wow, Nancy! Good for you! I love the sound of this book and admit a secret envy that I didn’t think of it myself. Enjoy release day!

1. Aww, thank you, Kristan! :)

7. Lorelei says:

I’m so happy for you! 20 babies! Lots of love and happy ever afters! That is such a gift.
    My milestone would be turning into a mother of grown up kids, adjusting to having them make their own decisions and respecting their choices. I still have a teen, but learning to let go has been a bit hard, I still think they’re my babies (which they still are at heart)!

1. Lorelei, I think that’s the most difficult and strangely the most fulfilling milestone of all. It’s so hard to let them go, but we know we would’ve failed at our job if they didn’t have the confidence to strike out on their own. Sigh. It’s such a paradox.

8. Anne says:

Congratulations and best wishes. Wonderful post. My milestone was last year when I was diagnosed with breast cancer and dealt with the ongoing treatments and clinic visits. Now I am trying to recover and enjoying a new me.

1. Anne, you are so brave. Keep fighting and keep that great attitude of enjoying the new healthy you. You’re an inspiration to all of us.

9. Rebe says:

Wow, 20 books! Congratulations!!! My big milestone was running a half marathon in May! I celebrated by eating ALL THE THINGS at the local Mexican restaurant, lol. Good times.

1. Rebe, congratulations on your achievement! I walked six miles with a friend and was ready to collapse when we finished. Keep up the good work. And you deserved that post-run Mexican feast!

10. Diane says:

Happy for you and congrats. Last year I had a baby girl and this was an overwhelming and special time with many adjustments. I can now realize what influence babies are upon a home, relationship and household. Beautiful and very tiring.

1. What a beautiful milestone, Diane. Congratulations! I still maintain I’ve never had a job as tiring and fulfilling as motherhood. It will definitely change you forever (in the best ways).

11. ellie says:

20 books is fabulous. Congratulations! A milestone for me was selling my house since I had been living there for 30 years, 6 years after my husband died and then moving away for a new, fresh start in my life which I look forward to.

1. Ellie, how exciting. But I’m sure it must be bittersweet, too. I hope you’re having the time of your life in your new place and it feels like home.

12. eap says:

Congralations!

13. pearl says:

Congratulations on your books which are lovely and celebrate. A milestone was having two grandchildren born seven weeks apart last year. This was a happy and busy time for us and continues to be very fulfilling and interesting.

1. How wonderful, Pearl! Congratulations to you and your family. Enjoy those babies! How fun for the kids to be able to grow up together.

14. Mega congrats, Nancy, on both the new release and hitting such a significant milestone! In my publishing career, I have to say that the two milestones that really meant a lot to me were seeing my books on the shelves for the first time, and hitting a bestseller list. There was much champagne popping with both those events!!

1. Wow, Vanessa! Those are definitely two fabulous milestones. I say we pop a bottle of cyber bubbly right now! :)

15. Congratulations, Nancy! I’m finding it hard to believe that first sale was really twenty books ago! The whole Celebration series is just fabulous, and this is one of the best! So glad it’s out now for all the world to enjoy!

1. Thank you, Kathleen, for the good words and for your help in pulling Celebration’s Bride together! Couldn’t have done it without you.

16. Maureen says:

Congratulations on you 20th book! This year we had the celebration of our daughter’s college graduation and our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary. They happened just a few days apart.

1. Maureen, congratulations to you and your hubby on your silver anniversary! Here’s to the next twenty-five! Big congratulations to both your daughter and you (haha!) on her college graduation. How exciting to have so much possibility ahead of her.

Congrats! Graduating from college

1. Thank you, bn100! Congratulations to you, too, on your accomplishment. :)

Congratulations on 20!! I just celebrated my 44th wedding anniversay – a goal would be making it to our 50th lol.

1. Thank you, catslady! Congratulations on 44 years together. Here’s to that Golden Anniversary!

19. Connie Fischer says:

This is a delightful book and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Hope everyone gets to grab a copy and have a good read.

1. Connie, thank you so very much for your kind words. I really appreciate it. :)

20. Thank you for your post and giveaway, Nancy—and congratulations on your new release! I read an advance copy of “Celebration’s Bride”, which you generously provided in a contest. And I recommend it!

What milestones have I lived through? Well, lots. And I’m in the midst of my biggest one right now. But it’s not exactly the kind of thing I can discuss on a blog. And even if I tried to do so anyhow, I probably wouldn’t have the words to describe it adequately. Suffice it to say that I’m in there trying. As we all are.

Keep up the good work!

21. Kirsten says:

Congratulations Nancy, 20 books! Wow, that is a big number and a big moment in your life at the same time. What an achievement :) Didn’t have any milestones in my own life, yet. My health isn’t always what I would like it to be & so my life doesn’t go as dreamed or planned. But small moments with special people are hugely important and meaningful to me. I cherish those and a collection of lovely memories is perhaps even more amazing to look back on than, Oh I don’t know: climbing mount everest, or cycling across the country, or skydiving on a sunny day. :grin:

22. Ann s. says:

Amazing, 20 books is a great accomplishment. My daughter got married Saturday and it was amazing. It is hard to believe how beautiful it was and she looked incredible. My other daughter will be getting married next November and the planning has begun. I feel amazed that I raised two such wonderful women.