Shana Galen
Shana Galen

Downton Abbey, favorite things, Shana Galen

Tags:

I’ve lived a lot of my life feeling a bit obscure. You will not think me obscure, dear readers, because you probably know most of the references I make. But the world at-large? Not so much.

Take my car. I have these bumper stickers.

pemberley i_love_darcy_bumper_sticker

Do you know how many random people have asked me what they mean? A hundred, at least. Do you know how many random people have told me they like them? Three.

1370348952_kate-middleton-article

Let’s talk about the Duchess of Cambridge, aka Kate Middleton. The other day I was walking with a mom at summer camp and I mentioned planning a soiree where fascinators were de rigeur in the event Kate delivered while I was at the big Romance Writer’s of America conference. The mom said, “Kate who? Avery’s mom?” Sigh.

women-of-downton-abbey-300x197

And let’s take Downton Abbey. Sometime during the second season I figured everyone had seen it because it was a daily topic of conversation with my tweeps and Facebook friends, and I was chatting about Mary Crawley and Anna and Bates  while on a long run with some friends. I heard crickets chirping. At first, I thought they were just trying to catch their breath. Finally, someone said, “What is Downtown Abbey?” Oh, no.

Are you ever excited about things and feel like you have no one but your virtual friends to talk with about them? Tell us! Maybe we can be excited too.

24 thoughts on “I’m So Excited

1. All the time, Shane, all the time! I constantly quote Shakespeare to the absolute blank reaction of my family. An English major trapped with a firefighter who’s dyslexic…

LOL, Kristan!I have the same problem with Ultimate Sportsfan. I suppose he feels like that when he makes sports or Anchorman references.

2. All the time — or, at least, whenever I’m around humans. Downton Abbey got dull stares, at first. Now, everyone seems to know about it. Dr. Who is iffy. While it’s more popular than it used to be, you can’t just mention the TARDIS in any crowd without getting a lot of “Huh? The what?” I often make the mistake of saying that my CR-V is like a TARDIS when it comes to hauling things with the back seats down. Fortunately, I do mostly hang out with book people so my book nerdiness is not quite as problematic as it used to be.

You’re right about TARDIS, Nancy. I have a friend who loves Dr. Who. I’m no expert, but she keeps me up-to-date.

3. Ann Mettert says:

I feel like that a lot. When I saw your bumper stickers I thought oooh cool. :) I have a friend that I used to be able to talk to about all this stuff. But she moved to the mountains and can only watch DVDs. So we can no longer talk TV, like DOWNTON’S ABBEY. So I have to depend on the kindness of strangers online for discussions. Not quite the same. :)

Ann, I need to run into more people like you! And I know what you mean about virtual friends. It’s not the same as real life

4. Kathleen OD says:

I can’t believe people would not automatically know who you were refereeing to when you say “Kate”.. I love Downtown Abbey.. I can’t wait for the next season to arrive…And thank God I have gals like you who know who I am talking about when I refer to Mr. Bates.. ;-)

Oh believe it, Kathleen. Believe it!

5. Ann s. says:

Having a virtual outlet for all the junk I find interesting and my family thinks is just mom being a nerd, is great. I love that there are chats about Jane Austen and Downton Abbey and just about anything else this nerd enjoys.

Nerd? What? You’re cool!

6. Sarah R. says:

I don’t have any “real” friends that read the books I do, so I don’t ever talk to them about how excited I am for such and such book to be coming out. It’s a very sad life in the real world.

Sarah, for all the complaints people have about social media, it is nice to be able to connect with people who share your interests.

Games such as Candy Crush and current events. I am always amazed at people who no nothing of what is going on in this world.

catslady, it is amazing. I know having a small child means I am usually one of the last to know what’s new or going on, but I make an effort to stay educated.

8. Molly R. Moody says:

Well I for one know that it’s a TV show but since I don’t own a TV I’ve never seen it nor do I care to do so. I’ve never read any of Austen’s books either, though I have tried, couldn’t get through the first chapter much less the whole of Pride and Prejudice.

Sometimes I wish I didn’t own a TV, Molly. For the most part, you’re not missing much.

9. ki pha says:

Ahh, this is too true :| I’ll try to tell my sister about a great book or a great show I’m watching and all she ever says is, “You’re going to tell me it anyways, even if I don’t know what you’re talking about or care.” But then she listens, ask questions, and laughs along with me after words. ;-)

But that’s great that she’ll listen to you. I have friends who are like that too, even if they’re not all that interested.

10. These people are clearly living in a bubble – you, Shana, are the one truly in the know!

Just don’t ask me about anything on the news. If it’s not on Sesame Street, I probably don’t know.

11. Only every day of my life! There’s nothing that can kill a room like making some (I think) hilarious reference to something no one knows but me! :cool:

So true! I cannot tell you how many times I’m sitting with a group of moms, and we’re all talking and then I say something about how Baby Galen likes Byron Street because it’s “mad, bad, and dangerous to know,” and everyone gets kind of quiet and then someone says, “So, Tory Birch is having a sale on flats.”

12. Michelle Fidler says:

One time I was wearing my William and Mary t-shirt that I bought in Williamsburg, Virginia, and the security guard at the library looked at it and said, “Who are William and Mary?” I’m sure my t-shirt also mentions the word college, but the words William and Mary are more prominent.

I’m an Anglophile too. I know all about Jane Austen and collect Austen sequels, although mysteries are my favorites. I also like Downton Abbey. I’m sure at first people called it Downtown Abbey accidentally before it grew in popularity. If someone were to talk to me about Star Trek or Star Wars I’m sure I’d just stare at them and blank out.

Well, we can’t be an expert on everything, but it seems like there should be some minimum requirement!