Cindy Kirk
Cindy Kirk

Jaunty Post

Whenever you meet someone it seems you always search for some common ground.  This common ground can be work related (where you’ve worked in the past, where you work now) or education related (where you went to grade school, middle school, high school, college) or family (which can encompass a whole slew of things)…but sometimes it can be in regard to animals.

For the sake of this post let’s assume we’re all animal lovers to some degree.  If we met at a party and we were trying to bond over animals, here is what you’d learn about me.

I currently have three dogs and one cat.

I have a blue heeler (who is a great guard dog) named Shug, who provides me with tons of stories because of his anti-social behavior.

I have a shih tzu, Ernie, whose eye once popped out (they have a shallow socket).  So if you want to talk about Veterinary Ophthalmologists and innovative pet surgeries, I can hold my own. We can him “King Ernie” because he is the dominant dog in the household (even though he’s the smallest) and because my husband dotes on him.

I have a dorkie (dachshund/yorkie mix) named Chico (no, I didn’t give him that ridiculous name–it came with him) who is a within-the-last-year addition who can jump higher than any dog I’ve seen and who is a total love-bug.

If you don’t want to talk dogs, I have a cat, Leo.  He’s white with a raccoon-like tail and asymmetrical tiger stripe marking on his face.  Leo is 17# and has the uncanny ability to disappear on the day of his vet appointment.  He’s also one who jumps to the floor with a thud (anyone who says cats are light on their feet obviously hasn’t met Leo.  He often  leaps onto my lap and determinedly  pushes aside anything that’s already there (newspaper, book).  One time Chico was on my lap and when Leo could shove him aside, he sat on top of him!

Since we’re trying to get acquainted, I don’t want to do all the talking…so, please, tell me about the animals in your life (current or past) or if you’ve never owned any…perhaps a tale about a neighbor or a friend’s animal?

BTW, all kinds of pets are welcome.  In the past I’ve had hamsters, guinea pigs, parakeets, rabbits (mini-lops and New Zealands), turtles, fish (gold and betas)…

Oh, and the picture above is of Oreo, who recently crossed the rainbow bridge.  She had an irritating habit of wanting to sit on top of my pages that I was editing.  But she was a sweet, sweet girl and I miss her very much!

25 thoughts on “Let’s bond…over pets…

1. Sandi in OH says:

We currently have four animals…two dogs, two cats. Chewbacca (aka Chewie) and his sister, Pepper. They are brother/sister with the same parents but different litters. Pepper’s litter mate was a chihauhua, dachshund mix. Chewie and Pepper are snorkies, schnauzer and yorkie. We’ve had Chewie since he was six weeks old. We got Pepper when she was 16 months old and looking for a new forever home. She weighed eight pounds and was an outdoor dog. She is very happy being an indoor dog. She is very needy in the love department. When we got her, she didn’t know what a dog biscuit was. Smoky is a himaylan which is half Simonese and half Persian. Nosy is a tabby with diabetes. He gets shots twice a day. Use to have a lab/shepherd mix who would bark before our son would have a seizure.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Sandi,

You have a snorkie. I have a dorkie.

Hugs on Nosy with her diabetes. We once had Candy, a bichon, who had diabetes who required twice daily shots.

I can tell you and I could talk pets for HOURS.

2. Cindy, I’m still cringing from the eye-pop story! :sad: Poor little thing!

I love exchanging pet stories with new friends…partly because my old friends are so sick of hearing them!

We have a bichon named Lily who rules the roost by being so absurdly cute (and by having entirely captured His Highness’s heart…a lot like your Ernie, I bet!), and a Himalayan cat named Cleo. Cleo’s 17 1/2, and just last week narrowly escaped having her injured tail amputated by The Wrong Vet. Luckily, The Right Vet knew it wasn’t necessary. Whew.

We also have a cockatiel named Lizzie who can talk, but whose only sentences are, “Whatcha doing, Lizzie? Lizzie is a pretty bird!” She can also whistle the theme from the X-Files. We have our priorities straight around here! ;-)

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Kathleen,

I once had two bichons, Candy and her son, Comet. Comet was “my boy.” He always loved me best and I loved him.

I was out of town when he became desperately ill and died. It’s been a long time, but I still miss him.

I’m soooo glad you had the Right Vet care for Cleo.

3. Dorkies and snorkies! :mrgreen:
    Hugs on Oreo’s passing, Cindy, though it sounds like she left a lovely pet legacy behind.
    In addition to Pixel (see blog from two Fridays ago), I have Lucy T. Cat, whose file at the vet is marked “CUJO.”
    (In my defense, I warned them she reverts to feral when stressed. I don’t think they believed me … At first.)

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Jess,

I love that they’ve marked Lucy T. Cat’s file as Cujo.

Our fedex isn’t that clever. They have simply dubbed Shug as “Mean Dog.” lol

People can always bond over kids and pets. I have two cats. Both are just a little over 1 year. They were part of about 70 cats in a hoarding situation and were rescued as tiny kittens by a woman who fostered 9 of the kittens in that situation. She needed permanent homes for them, so I took Baby Galen over to meet all 9. The two that didn’t run for their lives were the ones we took home. Baby Galen named them Mickey and Maisy (even though they are both female). They are best friends, and super sweet and attention seeking.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Shana,

You were so smart to get two cats at once. We had Jasper when we got Oreo, but he was already ten and didn’t care to have a new friend.

By the time we got Leo, Oreo was nine and didn’t care to have a new friend either.

5. Connie Fischer says:

My husband and I adopted 2 kitties this year and we are so in love with them! It had been 8 years since we had had any pets and we are just silly about them. We have a 10-monh old tortoiseshell female named Sophie and a 7-month old part Maine Coon male named Baron. They love each other and have bonded beautifully. There are kitty toys everywhere and little baby blankets for beds. Sophie taps me on the nose at 4AM every morning to get up and feed them. I do not know how she knows what time it is. I do her bidding then open the slider to the screened lanai a few inches so they can go out and watch the water birds on the lake and the world come awake. Around 8AM, they want to be fed again. They enjoy batting ice cubes around but I was concerned about slipping in a puddle so I bought those plastic picnic ice cubes that I keep in the freezer. When they want one, I throw a couple to them and they have a great time playing with them without the mess. I’m thinking that Baron is going to be really big because I can hardly keep him filled up. He is already way bigger than Sophie. Baron loves to come to Sophie and plop down close to her and she licks his head. That is so sweet to watch.

OK. I’m hoging the post here. As you can see, we love our babies. If I could, I would adopt more and really become a Crazy Cat Lady! :-)

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Connie,

I’m so jealous. A tortoiseshell is so beautiful and Maine Coons are so unique. Leo is just an old farm cat who the vet has informed me is overweight and must be placed on a diet. All I could think is, this is going to be fun.

Leo knocks his bowl around when he’s hungry and keeps knocking it around until it’s filled.

1. Connie Fischer says:

I love Leo! Sounds like he has a lot of personality and rules the roost. Go, Leo! :grin:

Just mention animals and I could talk forever (I promise not to lol). I know a lot of people have heard my stories. Currently I have 5 inside cats (have had 7) and care for ferals/strays. It all started with a Mama cat and her kittens over 25 yrs. ago. I’ve fixed, found homes and cared for many and sadly too many have passed that rainbow bridge (so sorry about Oreo). I’ve also had two wonderful dogs. If you want to know what a person is like, knowing how they treat animals is a good indicator :)

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

catslady,

Bless you for all you do for our feline friends.

I agree, seeing how someone treats an animal tells you a lot about them.

7. Hi, Cindy. You probably don’t want to get started on dogs with me, since I write for dog magazines in addition to working on a couple of romance novels. I could go on all day.

I currently have a German shepherd named Luna (tic). She is super sweet and super smart. She has taught herself to open every door in the house, and even unlocks one of them to let herself out. She loves all humans, greets and then has no use for all dogs she meets, and tennis balls are crack to her.

She is very loyal, but hates to be hugged…so of course I wrap her in a bear hug several times a day, lol.

When in doubt, pets are a great conversation starter. I love hearing about people’s animals.

Jaye

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Jaye Marie,

Your Luna sounds amazing. I’d love to someday take Shug to agility training, but he doesn’t play well with others.

He used to be a whiz at a Frisbee, but every year he seems to be less inclined to jump in the air for it. Of course, I can understand that…

I’m sure you and I would have no trouble keeping a conversation going. :)

8. Cindy, you and I would definitely bond at a party! I had dogs all my life, until we moved into a condo. Mostly standard poodles but various other breeds, too. The last one, Toby, was so much the dog of my heart, although I loved all my pets. Toby died at 14-1/2 years, very old for a poodle. He was a bag of bones at the end but still always a loving and very funny guy! I still miss him seven years on.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

OMG, Vanessa. I have wanted a standard poodle FOREVER. Just when I thought I had my husband convinced we should get another dog, Shug wandered up to our property and became that additional dog.

We’ll definitely have to talk Poodles one day.

9. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I don’t have the pet gene so we’ll have to find something else to bond over — hey, have you read a good romance lately?

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Terri, Terri, Terri….

No pet gene? Okay, we’ll talk books

10. Thank you for your post, Cindy. I’ve had twelve cats during the last twenty-three years. Three are still with me.

Spartacus, my golden tabby, is sitting on my desk. He’s been with me since I adopted him and his litter mate Hatshepsut—Hatty for short—when they were kittens, almost fourteen years ago. I called them my little wild babies.

We lost Hatty when she was four, but Spartacus has been with me longer than any other cat. He’s still pretty lively for an old boy, and has always been super affectionate. Not to mention quite a character. If he could talk, he could honestly say, “I am Spartacus!”

I also have Farrah, a darling little calico tabby. She has no tail, just a bump on her butt where the tail should be. She’s a beautiful, lively, spirited little girl. Three and a half years ago she was a stray kitten who wandered into my yard. She decided she liked it here, so she adopted me.

Then there’s Archimedes—Arky for short. He’s a tuxedo cat with a “Batman mask”. He’s a real wild boy, always roaming around the neighborhood looking for fun and adventure. Arky is a great people cat; lots of neighbors enjoy his company. I’m trying to get him to spend more time at home. But once a wild cat, always a wild cat.

My sympathies to you for the loss of Oreo. I know only too well what it’s like to lose a beloved pet. But remember: you gave Oreo the best life a cat can have. She’ll live forever in your heart. And someday the two of you will be together again.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Mary Anne,

Your pets have THE CUTEST NAMES. Actually, almost everyone who has posted has cute names.

I didn’t mention in my post but growing up, our family was so bad at picking names we had three dogs named “Blackie” and two named “Tag.”

It’s amazing to me how much personality cats have…and what joy they bring into our life.

11. Jo's Daughter says:

I’ve had rabbits, fish, hamsters, guinea pigs and a bird. But then I had two cats. Never wanted another type of animal again. Well never say never, never had a dog so… who knows. ;-)
    We lost the first two cats we had, two boys & now we have two new cats: the girls. Their names are Charlotte and Chloe, last month they turned a year old :) they are awesome. Even had a little “party” in their honor. Love them to death, but you don’t forget your other pets. Hugs for Oreo Cindy, I’m sure she will always be a part of you.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Charlotte and Chloe,

More cute names. And we have impromptu birthday parties for our pets, too.

You’re so right, you love the new ones, but never forget the ones who came before.

12. Jennifer Crump says:

I’ve had cats, dogs, iguanas, guinea pigs, hamsters, snakes, and ferrets in my lifetime. My very first cat was named Kitty(hey i was 6) and lived at my dad’s and my first dog I called Billy(he was papered and had some ridiculous long name that I couldn’t pronounce). Billy also lived at my dad’s. Kitty was a beautiful calico who was very lovey and liked to bring me lot’s of gifts. Billy was a handsome german shepard. Since then I have been owned by a tabby named Bogie, a long haired kitty named Lester and my moms kitty Ingrid, who have all since crossed over the rainbow bridge. Since then there has been my beloved Rottie named Precious( she came to me with that name)who crossed over 16 yrs ago and was my childrens favorite playmate. We’ve also had a ferret named snowball, two guinea pigs who were named by my kids. Their names were Harley and Davidson. An iguana named Spike, and kitties: Ripley, Spook, JellyBean, Half-n-half, Toast, MissFatty, two foster kitties: Smokey and Crispy and then I am currently occupied by my kitty MamaBear who is in my arms as I try to type. I have always had animals in my life and I wouldn’t change it for the world.

13. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Jennifer,

You don’t need to say another word about having a cat named Kitty when you were six. I’m the one with all the dogs named Blackie. lol

I love all the animals on your life…the only type I haven’t had is a ferret. Not yet. 😉