Katherine Garbera
Katherine Garbera

Jaunty Post

IMG_3511I have a naturally sunny disposition so if I’m honest I’d have to admit a lot of things make me happy. But there a few things that really make everything seem okay in my world and they range from the silly.  My daughter is coming home in less than 10 days and that makes me almost ridiculously giddy.  So here are my top ten favorite things:

Godiva10. Godiva sitting on my lap

9. A large glass of wine (they have those in the UK!)

8. Working in my art journal

7. Riding with the top down on my convertible

6. Cooking an old family recipe and remembering all the times I’ve made it before

5. A new book that consumes me so that when I’m finished with the characters are still in my head (Silver Linings Playbook was the last one I read that did this)

4. Talking all night with friends or family and laughing so hard that we cry

3. Having a new idea for story and getting it down on paper :) IMG_2715

2. Talking on the phone with my mom and dad (its even better when I can see them!)

1.Spending time with my honey and kiddos

What’s makes you happy?  I’ll pick two random winners to receive an autographed copy of one of my backlist titles–winner’s choice!

Kathy

27 thoughts on “Things That Make Me Happy

1. Your post made me smile, Kathy! Thank you for that. :) Here’s my Happy List: 1. My daughter being home from college 2. The way my dog looks like she’s always smiling 3. Champagne and strawberries 4. Art journaling 5. Long walks 6. New Shoes 7. Laughing with friends 8. A good cup of tea 9. Chocolate 10. Buying office and art supplies.

2. Nancy, I’m so glad to hear that especially right now. :) I forgot about champagne…how could I have done that?!

3. That just means we must have champagne in Atlanta this summer, Kathy! :)

1. You’re on. I’m bringing my tiara (actually two since I’m loaning one to Emily McKay,RITA finalist). :)

Love it! We have a lot in common. Spring and low humidity make me happy. Going to bed early. Crossing an item off my to-do list!

1. Shana–we have more in common than you know! I will put something on my to-do list just to cross it off! :)

5. See my kids always, finding a new author or finding a new book from a fav author. Going away with my husband. Time to just veg

1. Linda–love the list. Finding time to veg out is hard but so worth it. :)

6. What a great list, Katherine! I’d say my funny kids top the list. Huggy pillow, my faithful friend when McIrish is at the firehouse…pizza…Game of Thrones…

1. Kristan–great list…how could I forget pizza?! We are just getting into Game of Thrones. :)

7. Jo's Daughter says:

- My 2 cats, they are celebrating their first birthday tomorrow. :grin:
    - My family, spending time together or just talking. Can’t get enough of that.
    - Reading, romances are always making my smile. :mrgreen:
    - Craft projects, love to sew stuff & make things myself. Then decorate our cottage with them/it.
    - Cooking & baking new food, trying out recipes, reading cookbooks = almost as delicious. :lol:
    - Blogging! I enjoy showing pictures of my home and chatting about my everyday life. It’s especially great to get a comment from someone I do not know saying they enjoyed reading my post. Makes me happy!

1. Jo’s Daughter–You’re list made me happy just reading it. I love doing little projects around my house too. :)

8. RobynDeHart RobynDeHart says:

I love this blog!

The Professor makes me ridiculously happy. My girls. My cats. Big family time (with the whole crew). Pudding. The color green. Hanging out with my writer friends. Shopping with my mom. Chocolate.

And so many other things….

Kathy & Nancy, I’ll totally have champagne with y’all. Love me some champagne!

1. Thanks, Robyn! So that’s three for the champagne party–can’t wait! :)

2. Robyn, it’s a date! Can’t wait! :)

9. Maria P says:

Hi, Kathy! Here’s my list:
    Doing anything with my amazing husband, Rich.
    Hanging out with the nieces and nephews.
    Teaching my religion (CCD!) class.
    Being outside on a beautiful day.
    Reading.
    Writing anything, especially poetry, though.
    Eating my favorite foods.
    Drinking a cool glass of wine.
    Going to street fairs.
    Watching a movies or a good tv show.

1. Maria–I love your list. We went to a street fair last year in Farnham and it was the first time I’d been to one. Really enjoyed it!

10. Kimh says:

Freinds an d family
    lanting my garden
    th aks

1. Kimh–great list! My mom is a massive gardener so whenever I’m working on my few plants i think of her. :)

11. :smile: Thank you for your post and giveaway, Katherine. What makes me fundamentally happy is a high life condition, which comes from helping others attain their own.

As for worldly pleasures, obviously reading ranks high on the list, or I wouldn’t have logged onto this blog. Less obviously, so does writing.

Others are movies I can really get into, music that really sends me, artwork I can relate to. That includes romance cover art. You’ve been very lucky with yours!

I also like to goof off on Facebook. Maybe too much; I’m trying to curb myself so I can devote more time to writing and studying.

And of course, there are my three furry children, aka cats: Spartacus, Farrah, and Archimedes. As I type this, Spartacus, a handsome golden tabby, is sitting on my lap. A living laptop, so to speak. If he could talk, he could honestly say, “I am Spartacus!”

Keep up the good work!

12. Mary Anne; First of all thanks so much for your kind words. I have been blessed to have really nice covers all throughout my career (except the yellow smoking jacket!) Your Spartacus sounds a lot like my Godiva. She insists on sitting on my lap most days when I’m writing which makes posture very difficult! :)

Having my family around me.
    All my furbabies.
    Buying, collecting and reading books!!
    Playing games of all kinds.
    Getting together with friends (playing games many times).
    A good cabernet savignon or freshly ground black coffee.
    Vacations although they are rare anymore but I’ve had some wonderful ones!
    Anything that makes me laugh :)

chocolate, reading a good book

15. Quilt Lady says:

Driving with the windows down on a nice sunny spring day, with favorite music playing.

16. Liz says:

Having the elves come in and clean my house. They did once, while I was in the hospital. Hope that’s not a precondition for their return. ;-)

17. Laurie G says:

My husband
    A call or visit from my children
    Music from my favorite artists
    Sunny skies
    Temps in the 80′s with no humidity
    Rainbows
    A kiss from a loved one especially my 18 month old granddaughter.
    Swimming
    Reading
    Feeling healthy
    A card from a loved one

18. donna harris says:

What makes me happy
    1. I have the best man in the world and he loves me. It’s been nine yrs that we’ve been together. Took care of me for two when I was ill and bedridden after only known for 5 mos. I love this man.
    2. My two wonderful sons,I raised them good. Very polite to everyone especially elderly people.
    3. Riding the horse for my Therapy lesson.
    4. My family and friends
    5. Quite time so I can read, crochet, watch a movie and on the computer.
    6. Nice sunny day, it brightens me up.
    7. Spending time with my 90 yr old mother, this should have been number 1, 2 or 3.