Update: My winner is (cue drumroll, please!) …Tanja Haack! She’ll win a copy of Stroke of Genius! Tanja, please contact me through my website so I can send your ebook to you! (For the rest of you, don’t despair. I have a little surprise coming next week. Be sure to check my blog on May 21st & 22nd for a free read!)

from Mia Marlowe…

Mia MarloweI’m in Boston. My mom is in the Midwest. We keep in touch through frequent calls and on Facebook, but it’s so not the same as being in the same town and being part of each other’s lives every day. However, I did get a chance to see her for a few days before the RT convention last week and took her for a pedicure for Mother’s Day. It was a nice, relaxing girl time for us.

But that wasn’t the gift she was most excited about. I gave her my old Kindle. I hesitate to even call this a gift since it was used, but my DH gave me a Kindle Fire for my Bday and it seemed wasteful to have two of them. I worried that she’d be able to use it since she’s only recently jumped into spending time on the computer. Once I showed her how she could control the size of the font, she was thrilled and soon learned how to choose from the library of books. It’s loaded up with all my romances, my DH’s techno-thrillers and a few mysteries tossed in for good measure.

That Kindle is still attached to my account, which means when I buy a new book, Mom can read it, too. Since she put the first romance novel in my hands years ago, this seems fitting. I love this. When you share a book, you share a whole world. And even though we’re still miles apart, we’ll have plenty to talk about. The distance between us shrinks as we share the same books and live through the same love stories.

Stroke of Genius

Click to order!

Do you have someone with whom you share books? Are you part of a book club or a circle of reading friends? What are you planning for Mother’s Day?  Leave a comment for a chance to win my Stroke of Genius for your Kindle.

Georgette Heyer with ripped bodices!
“Crispin Hawke is awkward, dashing, self-assured, rude, everything you’d expect from Georgette Heyer, or even Jane Austen. Grace Makepeace is American. She’s tall, beautiful, and knows what she wants. But she falls for Hawke in a big way and decides that she wants him above everything else. Mia Marlowe is the mistress of saucy historical romance, and Stroke of Genius is pure delight!”
~ Booksmonthly

_________________________

Mia loves to connect with readers! Find her at MiaMarlowe.com, Twitter & Facebook!

14 thoughts on “Mother’s Day from a Distance

1. CateS says:

My whole family shares books!! We’re awash in them. When I closed my mom’s house out, we all took some books and then I donated the rest to the local Red Cross annual book sale.. at was about 268 books. You would cringe at the prices on the inside of the hardback covers… $3.15

1. Mia Marlowe says:

When my grandmother had a stroke, I used to drop by to see her after work each evening at the nursing home. She was unable to read then, but I got to know a group of octagenarians who were voracious readers. I’d clean off my shelves every month and take them a bag of books. You’d have thought I’d brought them diamonds & pearls.

my mom

1. Mia Marlowe says:

So I’m not the only one who shares books with her mom!

3. Connie Fischer says:

I share books with a young woman who is like a daughter to me. We both love reading the same genres and have a great time discussing the books after we read them. Quite frankly, sharing books with people is not a big thing I like to do because too often, I don’t get them back. That’s something I learned a long time ago and am hesitant to loan out my treasures.

Happy Mother’s Day to all!

1. Mia Marlowe says:

My #1 daughter got to meet her favorite author, Kat Richardson, at RT a couple weeks ago. She had to rebuy book one in the Greywalker series because she’d loaned it out and it hadn’t returned. Kat told her to email her with her address because she had a bookplate to offer that might fix the problem. It went something like this:

This book belongs to my minion (insert name here). Return it to her promptly or I will come and haunt you!

4. Barbara Elness says:

Before my mom passed away, I gave her most of my read books (the rest went to my sister). We all loved to talk about the books we’d read. Now, because I read more than my sister has time for, I’m always recommending books to her and she orders them instantly on Kindle. Or if I notice a freebie I let my sister know as well so we can talk about the book once we’ve read it. Because my son is working today, my Mother’s Day is going to be filled with reading and playing on the computer. But we’re getting together on Thursday to do something together, so I will enjoy the heck out of that. :D

1. Mia Marlowe says:

My daughters are heavy into YA and urban fantasy, so we don’t swap books often. It’s my mom who shares my love of historical romance.

5. Tanja Haack says:

I share books with a lot of people. I share mysterys with my sister, YA with my daughter, children’s books with my niece and I’ve shared some of my self help and mental illness type books with my doctor so he can share them with his other patients. Huh, I didn’t know that I shared my books with so many people, that should qualify me for sainthood.

1. Mia Marlowe says:

It certainly qualifies you to have some sort of retrieval system to make sure you get the books back! That’s one thing I like about loaning ebooks. After a certain amount of time, my ebook comes back on its own.

6. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this
    matter to be actually something that I think
    I would never understand. It seems too complicated
    and very broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get
    the hang of it!

7. Look says:

This is my first time go to see at here and i am actually impressed to read everthing at single place.

8. Rosita says:

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this
    post and the rest of the website is extremely good.

9. I blog often and I genuinely thank you for your content.

Your article has truly peaked my interest. I will book mark your blog and kee checking for new information about once per
    week. I subscribed to your RSS feed too.

My blog: online dating