Nancy Robards Thompson
Nancy Robards Thompson

Jaunty Post

A+

Today marks the day that the Crown Princess has officially completed her first year of college. The Norwegian and I are road tripping it up to The University of Never Never Land to move her out of her dorm and bring her home for the summer!  I’m so giddy I can’t contain myself. My baby is coming home!

It’s been an interesting year of growth and challenges, accomplishments and even a few setbacks. But the final grade for the experience is an A+. She’s a different person than the girl I waved goodbye to last August. Of course, I love her because she’s my daughter, but I truly like the responsible young lady she’s become.  She didn’t starve to death or wear dirty clothes without me there to make sure she was taken care of. ;)  I’m kidding, of course. Sort of. But she’s making it on her own. It reminds me of when she took those first few shaky steps as a toddler, and before I knew it, she was running.

Contrary to what I imagined, freshman year went fast. It gave true meaning to the saying, ‘The days are long, but the years are short.’ Honestly, last fall, when we drove off without her, I thought I’d never survive. I left my broken heart with her in her dorm room. However, in the months since then I managed to grow a new heart all my own. I hope that makes sense.  She’s happy. I didn’t die. In fact, I’m loving the extra time I have for me.

Okay! Enough of the sentimental hooey.  Let’s have a party!  I’ve supplied the streamers, balloons and all-you-can-drink champagne. Since the Norwegian and I are on the road, I won’t be able to comment today, but I will read each and every post when I get home. If you’ll tell me about a difficult experience you thought you wouldn’t survive but ended up stronger in the end – or simply tell us what you’d like to bring to the party – I’ll give away a $10 Amazon or Barnes & Noble gift card (winner’s choice) to one person who posts. Let’s get this party started!

27 thoughts on “Please Celebrate With Me!

1. Kathryn in Montreal says:

Same for me… my oldest daughter, always fiercely independent, left home at 15 to pursue a competitive sport. Yes, she did come home two days a week, but never in my dreams did I think my kids would be leaving home that early. She hasn’t lived at home full time since, and probably never will because she is now 24. She was safe, well taken care of, loved what she was doing, but I missed her in our house, and once one child leaves it opens the door for others to do so.

I hope you have a fabulous summer together! I loved summers during college. Yes, I absolutely agree with the quote you mentioned. When my daughter was a baby, the days were so long. Heck, the minutes were long. I thought it would last forever. Now some days I blink and it’s bedtime, but it’s so fun to see your baby grow and mature. I’ll bring some champagne. Freshman year is something to celebrate!

3. Congratulations to the Crown Princess! And even more so to you, Nancy. As for my experience, it was when my son was born so early. 76 days in the NICU. Life went by in a series of hours, and the hours were endless. But here he is, snarky and sloppy and wonderful!

4. Sharlene Wegner says:

Glad you made it through the first year intact! I remember being in college & bringing a whole suitcase of laundry home on breaks. I also remember buying socks & underwear so I didn’t have to do laundry. LOL! Also, college eating involved a lot of pizza, cream puffs & cheese danish from the bakery & an extra 15 lbs!

5. For me, it was after college graduation and my daughter moved to Chicago for a job. We thought she would be there forever, but it turns out it lasted 3 years. Then she moved back home to go to law school. Now she’s about to graduate law school, and she has a job and a fiancé, and they will be staying here. (Hooray!)

6. CateS says:

Oh my, you will be amazed at how much stuff she has now!! I live in a college town and they arrive in minivan in the fall and leave in the spring in a box truck!! Or they rent storage units here in town!! Enjoy your summer…it will be different in so many ways!

7. donna ann says:

cograts on the new release & surviving yr one of college ;) change like that is always a bit scary. hope summer is fun for all of you.

8. Rebe says:

As a college undergrad I went to Spain for a semester and when I first got there, I did NOT understand a word! Fortunately that changed in a few weeks, lol! Congrats on you and your daughter surviving that first year!

9. Anne says:

Adapting to changes is always hard especially when it involves family. I think that sending them out into the world makes them independent and productive adults, although we do suffer along the way.

10. diane says:

We have to pretend that we are strong since we want them to be successful. This is just the beginning of letting go. It gets easier and they have to experience life.

11. ellie says:

Glad that you can enjoy your daughter’s success and have her back for the summer. I enjoyed learning about your feelings and how they have evolved.

12. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Nancy,

I’ve picked up a cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory and it will be my contribution to your virtual party.

I can guarantee it’s everyone’s favorite kind and that each piece has zero calories…so let’s dig in!

Anyone bring any liquid refreshments???

13. pearl says:

This year was a defining year since I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had to have the strength and patience to endure this upset, and difficulty. But overcoming this obstacle made me appreciate many things that are taken for granted.

My first daughter moved out at 19. She at first went to a local college and we wanted her to wait one more year but stubborn she is and she moved in with a boyfriend. She did go on to the main campus and graduated while working two jobs. Then she moved away with another boyfriend but I was so thrilled that she eventually found a job near home and married. Unfortunately, it lasted less than two years which has been very devasting. They had just bought a home and she is in the process of trying to sell it and then plans on moving and won’t be as close again. So instead of being a grandmother as the plan was, I am back to worrying again although I know she has a great head on her shoulders.

That should have been “devastating” – should proofread my comments lol.

16. JenfromTexas says:

Ooohhh, did someone say cheesecake? :grin: I’ll bring chips and guacamole!

17. Kimh says:

Congrats whoo
    bring wings and pizza
    thanks

18. Kirsten says:

It must have been a big change, as it will be now that she’s coming home for the summer. I hope you’ll have wonderful long and happy filled days together. Make loads of memories and enjoy every second, time always flies when you’re having fun with special people. :mrgreen:

I’d bring cake

20. Maureen says:

Even though he is a junior now I do remember that first day that we brought our son to college. As we were driving back home my husband looks at me and says, “So that’s it? We raise him and put all this time into him and then we drop him off somewhere else?”
    It was tough but now it is normal to not see him for long periods of time but it is always such a pleasure when he comes home.

21. Barbara Elness says:

The difficult experience I wasn’t sure I’d survive was being unemployed after working in the same job/industry for over 35 years. My company went through several owners, but remained essentially the same business with the same people, then I transferred to another state, so new people, but the same company. Being on unemployment was an eye opening experience, the pay is below minimum wage. If I hadn’t been in really good financial shape, I would never have made it. Six months of watching every penny, trying desperately every day to find a decent job, worrying that I wouldn’t get another job at my age, and losing both of my cats six months apart was difficult, but the job I ended up with was so well worth the wait. It’s a completely different type of business – local government – and it’s the best thing that could have happened. A lovely boss, great benefits, nice people to work with – all the hardship and worry was worth it in the end. :D

22. Melody May says:

That’s exciting. I would bring drinks. I hope you all enjoy your time this summer

23. eap says:

congralations!

24. chey says:

I’d bring chocolate.

25. Laurie G says:

Time definitely flies by. After all 4 of my children went on to college I had to go back to work as money is tight. It was a big change but so rewarding. I’ve met so many nice people and learned to do a lot of things.

I have 2/4 children married and my youngest is getting married Memorial Day weekend.
    My middle son will graduate from grad school in August. He’s already interviewing for jobs.

I can’t believe how quickly the years have gone by since they graduated from HS!

I’m bringing champagne and strawberries!

26. Jo's Daughter says:

:D I’ll bring a cherry cheesecake & some Tiramisu. So ready to party : D

27. Rhonda says:

I’d bring myself and some beverages! :cool: