Katherine Garbera
Katherine Garbera

Jaunty Post

I’ve always kept a journal mainly because I’m a very introverted person and there are a lot of things I want to say to that I keep to myself.  When I turned 30 I did a self-portrait in words and wrote in my journal every day. I actually started the journal 25 days early since my beloved maternal grandmother died then.  And she’d helped shape the woman I was I had to mark her passing.

But recently I’ve been branching out and trying to do some journals that combine not only words but also art.  There’s no pressure for me to be good at art.  I didn’t go to art school, no one has ever asked me to paint anything for them.  In fact, the closest I’ve ever come to a “good grade” in art was getting a laugh out of my humanities teacher when I turned in Impression Blue (my homage to the impressionists) that my father had dubbed Impression F.

photo-1I love these journal pages.  I had no idea that You Tube had tutorials on how to do things on it.  I thought it was reserved for things like Charlie the Unicorn and that duck that wanted to buy grapes at the lemonade stand.  I have discovered these great videos on how to create journal pages (mainly thanks to Nancy’s Pinterest page) and have been indulging myself in my new journals.

This page to the right is my frustration with winter.  I haven’t been this cold for this long ever before.  I’m afraid growing up in Florida means I want to wear flip flops and skirts come April and I won’t wear them with socks.  :)  I had so much fun with this and really felt much happier about the cloudy cold UK day after I was finished.

photoI did this page  on Friday after I had a really great break through in my work-in-progress.  I had known that Jessi (my heroine) was a hiding something behind her tough-girl exterior but hadn’t realized what until I got to a turning point in the story.  It seemed like the perfect subject for my journal and I let that lead me.

I’ve made other pages and I can see myself making many more.

Have you ever found new joy in something you’ve been doing for years?  Let me know and I’ll register you to win an autographed copy of the UK version of Sizzle.

15 thoughts on “Art Journal

1. I think it’s great that you found a way to channel your feelings, Katherine! For me, sometimes I play the piano when no one is home. I took for years as a kid, but I wasn’t much good…and yet, with no pressure to be good at it, as you said, it’s kind of fun!

2. Kristan; I’m a little in awe that you can play the piano. I’ve always wanted to. I can play the flute and do sometimes get mine out to play just for fun. When my son started playing trumpet in the 6th grade we used to practice together and I was amazed at how much I remembered. Plus it was a joy just to do something with him. :)

Oh, wow! You are so talented! I’m impressed. I like to sing. I majored in opera, so it’s always been something I enjoyed. Like Kristan, I play piano too. I can’t play it when Baby G is home, though, because she wants to “help.”

4. Thanks, Shana. I had no idea you were an opera singer, I’d love to hear you sing some time. :)

5. Kimh says:

That is great
    love cooking moremore now
    new ideas ambd more time

1. I’m the same way with new ideas for cooking. I love coming up with new recipes for the same old dinners.

6. Kathleen OD says:

I love looking for unique pieces of china and crystal. I have a collection of Angels that I have found over the years. Most of them are Christmas ordainments, but I like that they can be displayed on my shelves and in my china cabinet.

1. I’ve been buying tea cups since I moved to the UK and have really nice collection of them now.

7. Kathy, you know that you and I share the same love of art journaling! It’s such a great release and a super way to refill the well at the same time. I like it better than straight journaling because it’s fun and sometimes the results can be pretty — or ugly. Sometimes an ugly page is more fulfilling than a pretty one. But, K, the work you posted above is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing it.

1. Thanks for pinning all those pictures that got me interested in art journaling, N! :)

I’d say reading

1. Reading definitely always makes me discover something new. Sometimes its a craft thing that makes me think I’m going to try that in my next manuscript. Other times its just a new place as a reader that makes me long to go there.

9. RobynDeHart RobynDeHart says:

That’s so cool, Kathy. I’ve never really done anything like that. I’m not sure it would work for me b/c I’d stress too much about it. Like Shana, I sing when I’m stressed. There’s nothing like putting on my tunes in my minivan and cruising down the road belting it out. I’d love to try that art journaling though. Maybe you and Nancy can give a tutorial at National sometime. :grin:

1. Thanks, Robyn! I love rocking out in my car too. I’m known for putting on my Culture Club cd and singing at the top o’ my lungs when I need a pick-me-up. Never fails!

I love the idea of a workshop on art journals. N and I were already discussing this possibility.

10. Ann s. says:

What a great idea. I haven’t kept a journal in a long time, but this sounds like a wonderful artistic outlet.