Jaunty Quills
Jaunty Quills

Jaunty Post

Thanks so much for inviting me to blog at Jaunty Quills today!

When Cindy suggested that I talk about continuity projects, I couldn’t think of a better topic.

Marry-Women-at-home-with-laptop-007 (1)Writing can be a lonely profession.  We spend so much time in our writing caves that it’s a real treat when we have the chance to work with an editor and other authors in creating characters and a story thread that continues over the course of several books.

It all starts with a phone call and the invitation to take part in a new series.  Some authors, I’ve heard, prefer to work alone and will actually decline the offer.  But if my schedule allows, I always jump at the chance and can’t wait to receive the bible for a brand new series.

I’m eager to meet my assigned characters and see what conflicts and difficulties await them.  I also look forward to seeing the list of authors with whom I’ll be working.

I admit, it can be a challenge to connect the continuity plot points and make it all come together, but it’s so rewarding when it does.

Over the years, I’ve taken part in many continuity series, but my favorite is the Fortunes of Texas.  There’s just something about Red Rock as a setting, as well as the amazing Fortunes and Mendozas, that make those books fun to write.

The latest series, The Fortunes of Texas: Southern Invasion, was no exception.   When I read the bible, I loved the series as a whole, as well as the plot and the romance of my assigned book.   I think the readers will like it, too.

MARRY_ME,_MENDOZA_front_coverMarry Me, Mendoza!  is a marriage of convenience story.

Nicole Castleton, a shrewd businesswoman with a Texas-size stubborn streak, needs a husband in a hurry, and no one but her ex, Miguel Mendoza, will do.  Yet she has her doubts since sweet, sexy Miguel still shakes her to the core.  And when it comes right down to it, she still desires the man beyond words.

When the girl who broke Miguel’s heart ten years ago comes to him with a crazy proposal for a strictly business marriage, a desire for payback—and one last round of romance with the one who’d gotten away—tempts Miguel beyond any dollar amount she offers.   But this time, he isn’t so sure he’ll be able to walk away from the woman of his dreams…

So what about you?  Do you like to read continuity series?  Why or why not?  And if you read them, which is or was your favorite?

I’ll be giving away a Barnes and Noble gift certificate to a lucky Jaunty Quills blog follower who comments by midnight tomorrow night.  Check back on Sunday to see if you’re a winner!

You can reach Judy or learn more about her and her books at www.JudyDuarte.com

51 thoughts on “Fortunes of Texas- Marry Me Mendoza by Judy Duarte

1. Hi Judy!! Its lovely to see you here on the JQs. I like continuities because I love staying in a story world for more than one or two stories. And I like how HQ keeps the families of some of them going for generations. Love seeing what happens with the offspring. :)

Kathy

2. Laurie G says:

I recently reread your book, BIG SKY BABY, Jilly and Jeff’s friends to lovers story! ( Montana Mavericks series)

I also read Marie Ferrarella’s FORTUNE”S VALENTINE BRIDE with Blake Fortune finally seeing the love in Katie’s eyes.

Next up is Jordana Fortune’s story by Nancy Robards Thompson FORTUNE’S UNEXPECTED GROOM!

I’d definitely use a gift certificate to catch up on the remaining Fortune and Mendoza families. (especially Javier’s story)

Aw… Javier Mendoza…

I wrote Isabella Mendoza and J.R. Fortune’s romance in A REAL LIVE COWBOY. I mentioned her brother, Javier Mendoza, and said that he played the guitar and sang.

The next year, I was assigned his romance — MENDOZA’S MIRACLE–in the next Fortunes series and was able to put that little detail into action. ;-) Just a little Fortunes trivia… Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Laurie G.

2. Laurie, I’m so excited that Jordana’s story is next on your TBR pile! I had so much fun writing that book. Please let me know how you like it.

3. Judy Duarte says:

Hi, Kathy! You’re up early! :smile:

I like that about the Hqn continuities, too. As a reader, I enjoy having a story continue through several books. And with some of the more popular series, the readers can really connect with the recurring characters and families.

1. Judy–I live in the UK now so its not as early here. :)

1. Judy Duarte says:

Oh, how cool! I’m hoping to visit the UK one of these days.

Hi Judy, welcome! I love series. It’s so much fun to keep revisiting your favorite characters.

1. Judy Duarte says:

Thanks for having me, Shana! I agree.

5. Rebe says:

I really enjoyed the Notorious Wolfes continuity! I don’t often read all the books in a continuity – I usually just read my favorite authors, but that one I did read them all. It was a lot of fun to see the different authors’ takes on the family dynamics.

Rebe,

It’s nice when the authors write their books to stand alone–and to be a part of the series. That way, the reader is happy either way. :)

6. ellie says:

Hi, Judy. I enjoy continuity stories as they allow me to follow the characters with whom I feel connected. I have many favorites which are special to me.

7. CrystalGB says:

Hi Judy. I do like to read continuity series. I really enjoyed the Fortunes of Texas series.

1. Judy Duarte says:

The Fortunes is my favorite, too, Crystal. I also like the Montana Mavericks series. :)

8. Anne says:

A series that I fall in love with and continue to read is meaningful and one that I never want to end. Alison Kent has wonderful romance series.

Anne,

I like Allison Kent’s stories, too.

9. CateS says:

Oh yes!! I love continuity series!! They are so much fun to read and then leap into another one with those familiar characters! Thanks for visiting JQ!!

1. Judy Duarte says:

You’re welcome, CateS! I’m glad to be here!

10. diane says:

Donna Alward Cowboy series is always a joy to read. I want to follow the individuals and learn how they manage in their lives.

Diane,

I haven’t read Donna Alward yet, but thanks for the recommendation! I love cowboy stories. I’ll have to pick up one of her books. :)

11. eap says:

Continities are nice but 3 or 4 books or I lose track.

eap,

I know what you mean. I was talking to a reader the other day, and she told me that she buys all 6 books in a series before reading the first one. That way, she can keep track better. It sounded like a good idea, but I’d have a hard time waiting for all the books to come out. :)

12. Ann Siracusa says:

:razz: It sounds like writing a continuity series would be fun and challenging. This book sounds fun. Ann P.S. Judy, the link you sent wasn’t active. Check it out.

Thanks, Ann. Will do!

I do love them – it’s nice to stay with the same characters and connected ones. My only problem is keeping up with them in an orderly fashion lol. I do like to read in order.

1. Judy Duarte says:

You’re so right, catslady. Reading them in order is a must. You’ll miss something if you don’t!

I like to read series books, but only if they feature different main characters in every book because I like the HEA in one book.

1. Judy Duarte says:

I’m with you, bn100! A HEA is a must! I don’t mind sad parts and a few tears along the way, but I want things to work out and be happy at the end. :)

15. Kimh says:

Like them if the the stories are fresh and charcterrs are real
    I like Jill harbor series ,Lori foster
    congrats on the book
    have s great weekend

Me, too, Kimh.

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have a great weekend, too. I’ve been away from home for three weekends in a row (2 conferences and a visit to my son’s family in San Luis Obispo)so I’m eager to hunker down and write on the PC instead of the laptop for a change. :)

16. Judy, I’m so glad you could join us today! I can’t wait to read MARRY ME, MENDOZA! It sounds great. I love continuities. I’m especially partial to the Fortunes series. :)

1. Judy Duarte says:

Thanks, Nancy! I loved FORTUNE’S UNEXPECTED GROOM. It was fun working with you on that last Fortunes series!

1. Thank you, Judy! It * was * fun working together. I hope we get to do that again soon. :)

17. Judy, I haven’t had a chance to read your latest yet, but rest assured they are on my “To Read” list. I love series books and actually am working on one myself. Is a continuity book the same as a series? They sound similar. You know you’ve always been one of my favorite writers.I loved the two inspirationals you wrote a while back.
    Shirley

Shirley,

Someone else might have a better definition, but this is they way I’d define the difference between a series and a continuity.

A series of books are usually conencted by in some way, usually by the characters and the setting. A continuity is similar, but it also has a story thread or plot point that begins in the first book and continues through each book. For example, if a murder occurs in book one, clues would be uncovered in each book, but the crime wouldn’t be solved until the last book.

Thanks so much for stopping by Jaunty Quills–and for your nice comments about my books. :) And congratulations on the release of TOO MANY COOKS. Boroughs Publishing gave you a beautiful cover. I can’t wait to read it!

1. Judy Duarte says:

Oh goodness. Look at those typos! My hubby was reminding me I had something on the stove, and I was trying soooo hard to finish typing before the smoke alarm went off! I really do know how to spell! LOL.

18. Marcy Shuler says:

I love The Fortunes of Texas continuities. I’m also one who waits to get all (usually 6?) books in the series before I’ll start reading. That way I don’t lose some of the minor details that end up being not so minor in the end. LOL

Marcy,

Yes, you’re right! The Fortunes of Texas is a series of 6 books. And since they come out January through June, they’d make a great summer vacation read for those who want to read them all at once.

19. Lisa Kessler says:

Great post Judy! :)

I would think a continuity would be a little stifling, but also a challenge! It would also be fun to work with other authors too…

Sounds like you’ve had fun with it! THe book sounds great!

Lisa :)

1. Judy Duarte says:

Thanks, Lisa! It’s definitely a challenge. And a great writing exercise. Thanks for stopping by Jaunty Quills!

20. Quilt Lady says:

I really prefer series of about three books. When they keep on going more then that I tend to get bored with them. Although I am still reading Emily March’s Eternity Springs series.

1. Judy Duarte says:

I’ve heard about that series, Quilt Lady. And it’s on my to-be-purchased list. :)

21. Chelsea B. says:

Love them! I love being able to revisit characters. I adore Kerrelyn Sparks’ Love at Stake series. It’s hilarious!

Chelsea B.,

I love Kerrelyn Sparks and her vamps, too! :)

22. Hi, Judy! *waving* Congratulations on the new book. I recently completed work on my first continuity and I agree with you about how fun it is to get your assigned characters and figure out what troubles await them on their journey to happily ever after. I can’t wait to read your book! Congratulations again.

~Melissa

1. Judy Duarte says:

Hey, Melissa! (Waving right back!) Congrats on your continuity. I’m glad it was a good experience for you! It can be a bit of a stretch to make it all work out, but it’s so rewarding. I’ll be watching for your series, too. I love romantic suspense. :) Thanks for stopping by!

23. Vanessa says:

Thanks, Judy for telling us about your new book. Sounds like a great addition to the new series. Look forward to reading it. I really enjoy books that are part of a series. Seems to add depth to the storytelling process. The reader becomes invested in the books.The Virgin River Series by Robyn Carr and The Chicago Stars by Susan Elizabeth Phillips are some of my favorite series.

Vanessa,

I like both of those series, too. Robyn Carr and Susan Elizabeth Phillips are great writers/storytellers. :)

24. Ann s. says:

I love a book series, sometimes I am really sad when they end. I have connected with the characters and their families and friends. When they end it is like saying goodbye to someone you get to visit every once in a while. I appreciate all the work that goes into the continuity of the writing, it must get challenging at times.

25. Judy Duarte says:

It can be challenging at time, Ann S. But it’s rewarding, too. Especially when the stories all come together and we get a postive reader response. :)

Judy